Fitting Kadees to Non Nem Stock

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

What's the difference between the 19 and 20 Kadees?. At some stage I'm going to fit them to my Bachmann L.T. Pannier Tank, and some engineering stock. I was going to use No: 19s but now I'm not so sure it's all getting a little bit confuseing.....Too many Kadees........ :?
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Bushey Troughs wrote:What's the difference between the 19 and 20 Kadees?. At some stage I'm going to fit them to my Bachmann L.T. Pannier Tank, and some engineering stock. I was going to use No: 19s but now I'm not so sure it's all getting a little bit confuseing.....Too many Kadees........ :?
longer shank, so the coupling protrudes further [on the 20]
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Cheers mumbles, I'll use 19s then closer coupling looks neater..... :wink:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Raider

Post by Raider »

Got my first batch of No 5's through today. 1 thing I am a little confused by is the little springs which are in the packet (I may have lost 1 as I didn't realise they were in there) - where do these go or are they spares for the spring on the coupling?
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raider

Post by Raider »

Ah thanks for that George - they do make reference to a tool for fitting them in the instructions.

I may have a crack at putting some together later although I wont attach them to the stock as I don't have the height gauge as yet
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Changing over to Kadees is looking tempting...
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

Ive recently been introduced to the wonderfull world of Kadees', the spare springs will be needed as I have lost one off already, but dont bother with the fitting tool for them, its quite simple to pick them up with a scalpel blade between the coils and fit them reasonably easily this way. Also I started with nem type couplings but then moved onto #5's. I found it fiddly trying to hold them (& the gearbox) together and fit to the rolling stock so I have started to pre-assemble them. to hold them together I use the tip of the soldering iron and lightly melt the sides together,( just 2 light "dots" where the side loops are) works an absolute treat as I tried glueing a couple together but the glue "wicked" into the coupling and made it U/S,

HTH

Charlie
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

hey that's not bad :^)

I recently tried some #156 "whisker" couplers and they are excellent. The draft gear boxes snap together so no glue required and the whiskers replace the large spring. Easy as pie.
You have to be careful with the whiskers though because they aren't replaceable.
Regards
Rob
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

mumbles

Post by mumbles »

cheers
added to 'in one place' thread
Raider

Post by Raider »

OK now I am confused.

I have got my 19's and 20's and have just tried to fit one to the Hogwarts Express tender. This has a push in pull out type coupler which I thought was an NEM pocket, but the bit that pushes in bears no resemblance to the Kadee's.

Am I right in thinking that this isn't an NEM pocket, or am I doing something wrong?
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Raider wrote:OK now I am confused.

I have got my 19's and 20's and have just tried to fit one to the Hogwarts Express tender. This has a push in pull out type coupler which I thought was an NEM pocket, but the bit that pushes in bears no resemblance to the Kadee's.

Am I right in thinking that this isn't an NEM pocket, or am I doing something wrong?
Not its not a NEM socket - see the top illustration at
http://uk.geocities.com/shipleymodelrail/kadee.html
to glue one in place
Raider

Post by Raider »

Thanks for the advice - I was getting horribly confused by what I thought would be an easy conversion - should have known better really