Fitting Kadees to Non Nem Stock

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
mumbles

Fitting Kadees to Non Nem Stock

Post by mumbles »

Here I will document how I fitted some kadees to stock with out nem pockets.
I decided to start on something that I wouldn't worry about bodging to much and as I progress to other items I will put them on here.
If you have pics of any kadees you have fitted and how you did it please add them.

First up was this old lima parcels van. I am using the No5 couplers.

Cut off the HUGE old tension bar and file flat the surface that will mount the kadee
Initially it looked like I would need 2 shims of plasticard to raise the coupler but it turned out I only needed one
The kadee was then screwed and glued in place, I glued the draft box closed and used some brass screws, I was gonna paint the screw, but you know what, I don't reckon I'll get round to it!
Checking the height is crucial
When the bogie was put back it was raising the chassis so 1mm was filed off the bottom of the buffer beam
Done

I have also done the hornby royal mail van, the one that picks up the mail bags, it was not possible to screw it in place so the kadee was just glued to a piece of plasticard that was then glued under the bogie, it will remain to be seen how strong this is

I hope this helps or encourages anyone thinking of changing to kadees, they really are much better than tension hooks

Cheers
Michael
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Hi Michael.

So did you just turn the bogie around on the parcel van? Did you have to cut off the bit that sticks up?
Regards
Rob
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Ironduke wrote:Hi Michael.

So did you just turn the bogie around on the parcel van? Did you have to cut off the bit that sticks up?
well you certainly win the award for observant forum reader of the year!
yeah, i turned it round but didn't need to cut off the bit that sticks up, it is there to top bogie turning too far and is fine whichever way it goes. i turned the bogie round as the other end would have meant cutting away a huge chunk of bogie where the old copupling was and it was easier to just turn it
Michael
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Not so observant I've been staring at a very similar bogie for 2 days wondering about the best way to get a kadee on there :^)
Regards
Rob
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Ironduke wrote:Not so observant I've been staring at a very similar bogie for 2 days wondering about the best way to get a kadee on there :^)
:lol: excellent, have you solved it now then?
the only problem is the length of the coupling sticks out quite a bit but considering what it's replacing it's not a problem.
it would be good to see some of the pics you have of your stock that you have converted if you wanna post them here..
especially your locos :-)
cheers
michael
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

will do :^)

that avatar is so horrible... and very distracting
Regards
Rob
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Ironduke wrote:will do :^)

that avatar is so horrible... and very distracting
oh alright, i'll change it for you!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Get him told Rob!
Never liked him anyway :wink:
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Regards
Rob
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Good job guys, Just wondering though as being a complete Numpty in this field.............how easy is it to convert Rolling stock and wagons to Kadee couplers? Whats the general price of them and are they many different types out there?

Cheers Guys

Adam
sol

Post by sol »

Michael ( Mumbles) depending on the radius of your track, I suggest placing the coupling back further. I have 30+ " radius & I end up with the pivot pin on the Kadee in line with face of buffers.

Class 60, use the search engine on this ( & other forums) & you will find plenty of references to fitting Kadee.
There are many varieties - look at the Kadee site
http://www.kadee.com/
regards
Ron Solly
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

sol wrote:Michael ( Mumbles) depending on the radius of your track, I suggest placing the coupling back further. I have 30+ " radius & I end up with the pivot pin on the Kadee in line with face of buffers.

Class 60, use the search engine on this ( & other forums) & you will find plenty of references to fitting Kadee.
There are many varieties - look at the Kadee site
http://www.kadee.com/
hi
yeah, i don't think i can mount it further back on the bogie without serious surgery so would have to mount under the body, once i have been to the loft and run it i will make up my mind

class 60 can i suggest you look at this thread

michael
sol

Post by sol »

Michael, understaod.
The original Dapol GWR B set coaches were the easiest to do & Hornby & Bachmann both require slightly different methods but surgery is required, some of it serious.

Ron
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Class 60 wrote:Good job guys, Just wondering though as being a complete Numpty in this field.............how easy is it to convert Rolling stock and wagons to Kadee couplers? Whats the general price of them and are they many different types out there?
Numerous different types - the main ones are:
17-20 fit NEM mounts with different shank lengths (how far out the coupling is) , 17s are usually too short due to UK stock having buffers.
The 5, 21-29 and 41-49 offer different lengths of shanks and whether it is centralsied, raised or lowered. The 21-29 come with various fittings which to fit US stock and as they cost more than 5/41-49 are best avoided.
The 31-39 offer the same variety of shank lengths and heights but with a smaller "draft box" (the part of the coupling that fits onto the rolling stock and contains the sping)

Useful web pages are

http://uk.geocities.com/shipleymodelrail/kadee.html

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/mti_article.shtml

http://www.bottleville.co.uk/Model%20Railways/kadee.htm

http://www.mgsharp.com/kadee_To_UK.htm

http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/rstock.html

http://home.intekom.com/wurzel/page8.html

Prices vary a lot between suppliers. Model Junction were the cheapest last time I looked

www.modeljunction.info
F-UnitMad

Post by F-UnitMad »

The recommended method for fixing Kadees to stock is to always fit them to the body.* That way the bogies (trucks in US terms) do their job (ie keep the vehicle on the rails) without having to cope with the forces exerted through the couplings and by extention the rest of the train, and the coach or wagon itself takes the strain through the couplings.
With US stock (remember it's all long and on trucks) the lack of buffers means models can be coupled quite close together and still get round sharp curves- with UK buffered stock the Kadee knuckle needs to be set out further from the body to avoid problems in this area.

*there are exceptions when Kadees are mounted on the truck- called a 'Talgo' mounting.