NRM Reviews - Bachmann Manor & Prairie Review

Articles which have been added to the main site
redline41190

NRM Reviews - Bachmann Manor & Prairie Review

Post by redline41190 »

This review is for two great Bachmann locos
firstly the 78XX 'Manor' Class:

picture:

(picture taken from windmilljunction.co.uk)

detail: 9/10
running: 9/10
prototypical accuracy: 10/10
DCC: 2/10
overall: 7.5/10

review:
The manor class has some very very nice detailing, the only big thing i can find wrong is the lack of some detail in the cab, which bachmann has taken interest in on some of its newer models, also the small hand railings on the sides are somewhat loose and are easy to break off. As a runner it is very quiet and can pull quite a bit cars on a level surface (about 7 or 8), I've had some problems with the loco on point work but other than that runs without flaw, though I have discovered that at times the motor may become disengaged from the brushings that conduct the electricity to the motor, causing it to stop (the repair involves taking the body off and simply pushing the motor back in place). The locomotive is accurate to the extreme, the dimensions are correct and the liveries are as well, the nameplate and cabside number appear to be etched brass in the picture, but on the model they are just painted plastic. The only point this loco drops the ball is in the DCC area, it is almost incompatible with DCC. Since it has a split frame chassis the installation is hard and a long process, but is worthwhile in the end. Overall the loco is an amazing model compared to its older bachmann/mainline predecessor. Well done bachmann!

second the prairie or 45XX class (DCC ON BOARD):

picture:

(picture taken from windmilljunction.co.uk)

detail: 9/10
running: 8/10
prototypical accuracy: 10/10
DCC: 10/10
overall: 9.25/10

review:
Bachmann's 45XX prairie tank is another fine example of what bachmann can produce. The detailing is accurate and good (though i couldnt see into the cab area to see the detailing there), the livery is correct (I tested the BR late crest one, so its not the one in the picture :wink:) I find that when running mine it is a bit jerky and has somewhat of a waddle, where the rods and running gear have an audible problem going 'round (i can hear the rods stalling for a split second) In the DCC area this model is pre fitted out of the box, mine is addressed as '03' and shouldnt be too hard to change (i've only run it on DCC once) some of the jerky qualities went away on DCC as well. Again bachmann has upped the ante and has produced a model worthy of recognition.

cheers!

-Jeremy

(I expect to be reviewing the Bachmann N class in the next week as well so look out for that review!)
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
Kirton Fen

Post by Kirton Fen »

Great Review Jeremy :wink: ,

I would'nt worry about the waddling, my 57xx Pannier does that, it all adds to the effect. Also GWR engines always used to have that waddle when hauling a rake of stock.

Cheers Matey,

Chris
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

MR Honeywell, when he visited my gaff, brought his prairie tank, we found it to struggle with a long train, about 6 coaches.
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

m.levin wrote:MR Honeywell, when he visited my gaff, brought his prairie tank, we found it to struggle with a long train, about 6 coaches.
hmm... i've only got 3 and it gets along with them fine, but i did take it to pieces the other day, and the motor is quite small, and the loco has quite a few weights in it, which would seem to be a reason for its low pulling power. May i ask if you tried it on a gradient?
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

Great Review, well done! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"
Chuffer Chuff

Re: Bachmann Manor & Prairie Review

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

45XX class
I find that when running mine it is a bit jerky and has somewhat of a waddle, where the rods and running gear have an audible problem going 'round (i can hear the rods stalling for a split second)
I have had the same problem with my Bachmann B1, I thought that the running gear had a problem going round. So I opened it up to gain access to the motor and gears, and it was caked in a thick sludge of oil and lubricant.

I cleaned some of it out from the gears and around the motor, and it runs a treat now, with little stalling!

For more info on my B1 running problems visit: (Scroll down to a large post with an LNER B1).

Bachmann B1 Problems

I suggest you try that!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"
redline41190

Re: Bachmann Manor & Prairie Review

Post by redline41190 »

Chuffer Chuff wrote: I have had the same problem with my Bachmann B1, I thought that the running gear had a problem going round. So I opened it up to gain access to the motor and gears, and it was caked in a thick sludge of oil and lubricant.

I cleaned some of it out from the gears and around the motor, and it runs a treat now, with little stalling!
[/size]

I suggest you try that!
thanks! i will have a look :)
joshing_man

Re: NRM Reviews - Bachmann Manor & Prairie Review

Post by joshing_man »

Potential spammer has been warned.
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):
Bufferstop

Re: NRM Reviews - Bachmann Manor & Prairie Review

Post by Bufferstop »

He didn't take your warning. Deleted his posts. Just off to excommunicate him.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions