Rock Faces

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
thomase

Rock Faces

Post by thomase »

We've had the builders in recently and I took a bagful of each of their different sorts of cement, from the stand, to coarser rocks.

I use polystrene and polyfiller on the hills and what I did was, rub the sand into the polyfiller where i wanted it. wait for it to dry, then I poured 50:50 pva water over it, and for good measure a bit of hair spray for extra stick and then hoovered any excess off. Before putting on the PVA I put some grass scatter over it, so that it wasn't too rocky, and had a bit of 'moss' etc. Here are some photos (in bad light) of the effect. I'm really pleased with it!

SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Wow - you've certainly acquired a wide range of materials to experiment with there, and you've got some decent results. Keep the experiments coming !

The only thing I noticed was the backboard has got a bit lumpy in the process - maybe needs a sanding down ?
thomase

Post by thomase »

SouthernBoy wrote:Wow - you've certainly acquired a wide range of materials to experiment with there, and you've got some decent results. Keep the experiments coming !

The only thing I noticed was the backboard has got a bit lumpy in the process - maybe needs a sanding down ?
I'm pretending they're clouds at the moment hahaha :D. I'm also trying out putting polyfiller down then scatter and paint on that rather than the flat board. The one I tried to start gives it a little more depth, but not overally noticable, but maybe with more polyfiller the grass fields would be less, bowling green smooth.