From a "Hunt" to a "Shire"

What are you up to on your workbench
End2end

Re: From a "Hunt" to a "Shire"

Post by End2end »

Coming along nicely. Great modelling Ex-Pat. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

So many buildings in a engine shed.........

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Ex-Pat

Re: Sand Drying House continued

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks End2end & manna.

The build continues:
The upper door is ready for cementing in place and the side of the steps down to the yard level is in evidence with its opposite side awaiting attachment of the steps themselves.
The upper door is ready for cementing in place and the side of the steps down to the yard level is in evidence with its opposite side awaiting attachment of the steps themselves.
The yard side roof had a skylight window and the parts are cut and ready for assembly
The yard side roof had a skylight window and the parts are cut and ready for assembly
The finished assembly awaits attachment to the building, and will then be covered by corrugated sheeting – on hold for now until I pick them up!  (This was actually written before Christmas but not posted until now.)
The finished assembly awaits attachment to the building, and will then be covered by corrugated sheeting – on hold for now until I pick them up! (This was actually written before Christmas but not posted until now.)
Steps are attached – probably slightly wonky in real life I hope!
Steps are attached – probably slightly wonky in real life I hope!
Un-corrugated roof sections now on and steps completed.  (I haven't mis-measured things (I hope!) - the steps and rear wall rest on the upper yard level.  There will be further "reverse" steps down to the shed yard level.)
Un-corrugated roof sections now on and steps completed. (I haven't mis-measured things (I hope!) - the steps and rear wall rest on the upper yard level. There will be further "reverse" steps down to the shed yard level.)
T.B.C.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Forgot to change the "Subject" to Sand Drying House!!

Thank goodness I now have corrugated sheeting again.
Corrugated sheeting now in my possession and yard side roof covering cut out.
Corrugated sheeting now in my possession and yard side roof covering cut out.
Roof now covered and handrails fitted.
Roof now covered and handrails fitted.
Shed-side roof in place together with chimney – didn’t have appropriate diameter Plastikard, so sourced the chimney from brass rod.
Shed-side roof in place together with chimney – didn’t have appropriate diameter Plastikard, so sourced the chimney from brass rod.
I was slightly concerned that the weight of the brass might cause the chimney to lean to one side before the glue set, but it seems to have behaved itself.
I was slightly concerned that the weight of the brass might cause the chimney to lean to one side before the glue set, but it seems to have behaved itself.
The jury is still out on the middle step – I must try to straighten it out!  The white strip is some sort of cabling evident in a photo.
The jury is still out on the middle step – I must try to straighten it out! The white strip is some sort of cabling evident in a photo.
T.B.C.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I think that sand drier, comes under the label as 'Cute'.......... :D

manna
Ex-Pat

Re: The verdict is in!

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna – well, the jury had its say and the judge insisted on the 2 worst offending (middle & top) steps being snipped out with Xuron sprue cutters, and replaced.
Much better than they were, and now in primer.
Much better than they were, and now in primer.
I decided against using Plastikard rod for the outside lighting cable.  Instead, I fashioned a one-piece length of wire.
I decided against using Plastikard rod for the outside lighting cable. Instead, I fashioned a one-piece length of wire.
and here it is in place.
and here it is in place.
this blown-up shot shows the outside light (and which has a very small globe or ball on top – I’m completely stuck on what to use for the latter – any suggestions please?
this blown-up shot shows the outside light (and which has a very small globe or ball on top – I’m completely stuck on what to use for the latter – any suggestions please?
the outside light was produced by cannibalising the light shown on the right.
the outside light was produced by cannibalising the light shown on the right.
T.B.C.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Try a filed down 'Track pin', a brass one.

manna
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna – you’ve got me kicking myself, particularly as I’ve actually used a suitable brass pin to help strengthen the attachment of the yard lamp to the side of the sand drying house.
Here you can just about see the aforementioned pin going through the bottom of the lamp pole, and the hole in the wall just below where the outside lighting cable ends.
Here you can just about see the aforementioned pin going through the bottom of the lamp pole, and the hole in the wall just below where the outside lighting cable ends.
the extension to the pole is a small length of Plastikard rod (and now to be finished off with a brass pinhead!).
the extension to the pole is a small length of Plastikard rod (and now to be finished off with a brass pinhead!).
Lamp now firmly attached to the sand drying house – I would be happier if it were less bulky but beggars can’t be choosers.  Drainpipe also evident.  Only the pinhead remains to be added before finally painting.  (Unless the jury decrees that a thinner lamp-pole must be fashioned!)
Lamp now firmly attached to the sand drying house – I would be happier if it were less bulky but beggars can’t be choosers. Drainpipe also evident. Only the pinhead remains to be added before finally painting. (Unless the jury decrees that a thinner lamp-pole must be fashioned!)
IMG_2213 (2).JPG (60.71 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
T.B.C.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Re thinner lamp post, it is possible to paint a figure or plastic lamp, with Silver loaded paint, then scratch an isolating gap each side, you need to buy the expensive stuff £14 for it to work, then overpaint with ordinary paint.
As for balls -
Ball bearings
Cake topping silver balls
Ball head pins
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks TimberSurf - however it won't actually be a working light.

I settled for the brass pin (lace pin) in the end and tried to put a bit of body on to its head with solder. I then finger drilled a hole into the white rod, inserted the pin head and cemented the top assembly together and into the "mast".
It looked like this.
It looked like this.
IMG_2263.JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
Then I painted on primer to give this position:
I will now add further primer to the ball to make it stand out more
I will now add further primer to the ball to make it stand out more
IMG_2283.JPG (52.24 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
Back to the locoshed -
After completing the corrugating of the shed roof I attached the ridge tile strips.
After completing the corrugating of the shed roof I attached the ridge tile strips.
They did rather “fight” me and I found it easier to inch my way along rather than to try and cement them down all in one go.
They did rather “fight” me and I found it easier to inch my way along rather than to try and cement them down all in one go.
Ready for painting (although I’m struggling to find a colour photo of the roof.  Will have to resort to Dickens’ “Great Experimentations”!).
Ready for painting (although I’m struggling to find a colour photo of the roof. Will have to resort to Dickens’ “Great Experimentations”!).
T.B.C.
Ex-Pat

Re: Site Preparation/Foundation work

Post by Ex-Pat »

Yet another change in tack as I look forward to "commissioning" the shed.

I had originally decided not to install the pits within the shed itself as they wouldn’t be that visible, but then I changed my mind and set about ripping out the sleepers.
Initial hacking out of the sleepers and underlay.
Initial hacking out of the sleepers and underlay.
A tidier position.
A tidier position.
The yellow outline is where the shed will be sited, and pink is the sand drying house.<br /><br />The short siding stub on the left looks &quot;lacking&quot; as regards buffer stop.  However quite a few sidings at Hawick are marked on my official drawing as &quot;NO BUFFER&quot; and this is just one of them.
The yellow outline is where the shed will be sited, and pink is the sand drying house.

The short siding stub on the left looks "lacking" as regards buffer stop. However quite a few sidings at Hawick are marked on my official drawing as "NO BUFFER" and this is just one of them.
The tracks have been inlaid with closed cell foam, as the “grot” was built up to rail level where the doors swung across - I think I need to re-blacken the interior pits a bit – the white weathering powders have come out too strong as there shouldn't be too much ash in the shed itself.

Attention will next switch to the shed doors.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

That shed's looking good.
Pete.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looking good.

Moved out of 'Home' living in a caravan in the 'Bush', so only occasional comment. Lot happier now.

I have a large box of part completed models, in the van, so I'll get back into it soon.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6007.jpg
Ex-Pat

Re: Shed Doors

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna - (I've PM'd you).

Attention was turned to the shed doors.
These are the remaining “doors” salvaged from cutting out the archways at each end of the shed.
These are the remaining “doors” salvaged from cutting out the archways at each end of the shed.
The first job was to scribe in the planking
The first job was to scribe in the planking
Next the positions of the various strengthening planks on the backs of the doors were marked out and the planks themselves were added
Next the positions of the various strengthening planks on the backs of the doors were marked out and the planks themselves were added
resulting in this position. – These will eventually be attached to the shed walls by rivetted straps.
resulting in this position. – These will eventually be attached to the shed walls by rivetted straps.
First rough coat of paint prior to “blackening”
First rough coat of paint prior to “blackening”
T.B.C.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I do love seeing scratch building.
Looking very good !!

Geoff T.