The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Well finally the Stonemasons have finished and cleared the site. The church is now finished.
Church temporarily positioned in the churchyard 1
Church temporarily positioned in the churchyard 1
IMG_0144.JPG (225.88 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Church temporarily positioned in the churchyard 2
Church temporarily positioned in the churchyard 2
IMG_0147.JPG (210.68 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Pictures show the church (and Lych Gate) in the 2 possible positions it could be sited in.

Now I have seen the actual size of the Church I am wondering if it's not too big for the layout (especially the height of the tower).
To me I think it needs a bigger area to be sited in as well. It looks as though it's been squeezed into the existing small area.
It looks like it dominants the whole village scene blocking off the view to the Shed Yard and beyond.
It's a nice kit that looks realistic and went together really well but which ever way I position it, it doesn't look right.
You get a better perspective with these longer range pictures.
Church and Village 1
Church and Village 1
IMG_0129.JPG (206.52 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Church and Village 2
Church and Village 2
IMG_0132.JPG (229.14 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
If anything it does look slightly better in position 2 end on with the road, but I'm still not happy with it.

So guys can I have your opinions on the Church. Would you keep it or would you replace it with something else?

My wife had a good alternative idea.
Turn the space into a small holding and have the local 'eccentric' living in a grounded coach body surrounded by his allotments and a few animals (pigs, chickens etc.)
I must admit I really like the sound of that.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

A couple more pictures of the Church.
Church 1
Church 1
IMG_0152.JPG (173.38 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
Church 2
Church 2
IMG_0156.JPG (171.51 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
End2end

Post by End2end »

I'd say keep it. I especially like the last photo and with a cemetary around it to bed it in I think it won't look out of place, perhaps pushing the church to the rear of it's location will also allow for a driveway/pathway upto and around the church. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Thanks for that End2End.
I agree the Church looks fine in the last picture but it's the 'Church and Village 1' picture that's not convincing me to keep it.
The more I look at it the more I can see the local 'eccentric' in his grounded coach body.

Pete
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Looking at your progress it looks as if it comes really easy to you, and how good it looks too! I particularly like the shot of the line over the canal, the trees look great. I also like how much detail you have managed to put into the goods yard. The smallest of additions can really make the scene come to life.
Derby Friargate GN
End2end

Post by End2end »

Ahh! Perhaps, if it fits, a rectory / village hall / scout hut on the same site as well to give a more coherent reason and use of the church and church site?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Both scenes are workable but I personally like the idea of the allotments, and I think if it was me I would go for that, it will flow better from the row of houses and not obscure the scene behind.
Derby Friargate GN
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

End2end wrote:I'd say keep it. I especially like the last photo and with a cemetary around it to bed it in I think it won't look out of place, )
Thanks
End2end
Those were my thoughts before I even read them. I think it's safe to say that old churches tended to dominate their surroundings so its size is in keeping. It would be a shame to not use it - and if you keep it will it be "St. Peters"?!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'd say the church is about right on size for a compromise. It's bigger than the houses, just about fits the plot, but some of the alternatives would add more life to the scene without needing too many people, (the wedding party scene has been flogged to death). I like the idea of the small holding with the grounded coach body. Opposite my house there is a now impenetrable overgrown orchard containing all that remains of such a dwelling, I'd thought of incorporating something similar on my layout but there isn't a suitable spot.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Thanks guys for all the replies. Seems like a 50:50 split in opinions but I'm still not convinced. The more I look at the pictures and think about the eccentric old guy with his pigs, chickens etc the more I'm leaning towards that. I think if the Church had been against the backscene (more in the background) at the other side of the tracks so to speak the better it would have worked. I'm off to the exhibition at Leamington tomorrow to see if I can find a grounded coach body. Guess I've made up my mind but I could always change it lol.

RailwayRobbo (Pete)
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

RailwayRobbo wrote:
IMG_0129.JPG
Turn the space into a small holding and have the local 'eccentric' living in a grounded coach body surrounded by his allotments and a few animals (pigs, chickens etc.)
I think that looks just about perfect personally, the church was often the dominant structure in villages and doesn't look out of place to me. However, rule 1 should always be invoked in these cases, it's your railway and you should do what's best for you. The smallholding would make an attractive and unusual scenic feature. I'm not so sure the lane leading up to the plot would have been so well lit though, the lamps mark the area out as having some kind of importance to the local residents.

Edit, the picture should be Church and village 1, but it's not showing in the quote for some reason.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

nickbrad wrote:
RailwayRobbo wrote:
IMG_0129.JPG
I think that looks just about perfect personally, the church was often the dominant structure in villages and doesn't look out of place to me. However, rule 1 should always be invoked in these cases, it's your railway and you should do what's best for you. The smallholding would make an attractive and unusual scenic feature. I'm not so sure the lane leading up to the plot would have been so well lit though, the lamps mark the area out as having some kind of importance to the local residents.

Edit, the picture should be Church and village 1, but it's not showing in the quote for some reason.
Thanks for that Nick.
Regards the lamp posts. I've thought for a while now that maybe I'd 'overdosed' on the lamp posts and probably the telegraph poles as well. I guess I just wanted to empty the packet in both cases.
jon_1066

Post by jon_1066 »

Two thoughts:

1. Have a lift out board so you can swap between either scene. You don't need to decide then.

2. Allotments are actually tricky things to model due to the variety of plants and vegetables. eg think about how you can model some runner beans or potatoes? That churchyard is quite a lot of ground to cover if you have to hand build all the plants. If you do go down that road you can buy some - I believe Noch do them.

The layout is looking great by the way!
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

jon_1066 wrote:Two thoughts:

1. Have a lift out board so you can swap between either scene. You don't need to decide then.

2. Allotments are actually tricky things to model due to the variety of plants and vegetables. eg think about how you can model some runner beans or potatoes? That churchyard is quite a lot of ground to cover if you have to hand build all the plants. If you do go down that road you can buy some - I believe Noch do them.

The layout is looking great by the way!
Thanks for the comments Jon. The lift out board sounds a good idea.
The allotments would actually be a small holding with pigs, chickens and some veg. I'm not thinking of actually scratch building the vegetation. They would be RTP (Ready To Plant) versions. There wouldn't be lots and lots of small plots like the good old English allotments you still see today.
I bought a Metcalfe Stable Block at the weekend which I'll make shortly. How this looks will be another factor in deciding which way to go.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Hi guys. Well after about a month of involvement in non model railway activities I've managed to sneak back into the layout shed this week. The 'BIG' decision has been made and 'St Peters Church' (what else did you expect me to call it?) has been built in the parish of Petersdale. I'd left the church in it's temporary place and every time I went in the layout shed and saw it I grew to like it. The church was fixed in it's permanent position. The Lych Gate was lined up with the entrance porch and the stone wall in front of the church was finished off. Then I decided to do some research and walked the 200 yards to the town church. The name of the church ..................... St Peters of course LOL. It's bit goulish I know but I had a good look at the layout of the churchyard where the good and great who have served the town in the past have found their final resting place. The local church is a little like St Peters, Petersdale in the fact that it also has a smallish churchyard which is full of burials from the 1600s, 1700s and early 1800s. One guy really caught my interest. A splendidly named gentleman by the name of Marchant Blott (Marchant being his Christian name) surrounded by various members of his family. The reason he's interesting is that I live in the old part of town dating from the early 1700s and there's an area close to me called Blott's Gardens. So a bit of research into the man is required.
As you can see from the pictures attached I've also edged the sides of the paths in the churchyard. I'm thinking of 3 options of path finishes. 1 - Painting it a tarmac colour (dark grey) 2 - Using the Metcalfe card paving or 3 - laying some form of gravel (perhaps Woodland Senics fine brown or dark grey ballast). I think a bit of experimentation is required. Leaning towards the gravel option, then paint finish with the card paving my least liked option.
One things for certain I'm going to need more gravestones and a war memorial. Wife also says I should 'tone down' my cars and get some more which ordinary families would have. She thinks a vintage Jag and 2 E-Types are a bit 'flash' for a small mining community. LOL.
I think St Peters needs a nice weather vane and a flag pole (possibly)
I think St Peters needs a nice weather vane and a flag pole (possibly)
IMG_0833.JPG (254.92 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
A bit more of an ariel view with path edgings at the front of the church in place.
A bit more of an ariel view with path edgings at the front of the church in place.
IMG_0838.JPG (277.49 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
The view up 'Church Hill'. Yes I finally decided on the name of the road.
The view up 'Church Hill'. Yes I finally decided on the name of the road.
IMG_0840.JPG (233.1 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Front Elevation
Front Elevation
IMG_0846.JPG (220.64 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.