From a "Hunt" to a "Shire"

What are you up to on your workbench
Ex-Pat

Re: A2/3 arrives

Post by Ex-Pat »

A belated thanks manna.

I only managed the Waverley Route once and it was dark and pouring down at Hawick so I couldn't make out any locos on shed etc..

Anyway, another Waverley Route loco has been added to stock.
The loco as bought was 60512 “Steady Aim” and I was surprised to find it merely had a painted name rather than an actual nameplate.  The smoke deflectors are very delicate, as is the running plate.<br />It also had a bent vacuum brakepipe and a missing smokebox lamp-iron (mine isn’t the only one in that respect according to posts on “the other channel”).<br />There is also much discussion on the shade of green applied to this model.
The loco as bought was 60512 “Steady Aim” and I was surprised to find it merely had a painted name rather than an actual nameplate. The smoke deflectors are very delicate, as is the running plate.
It also had a bent vacuum brakepipe and a missing smokebox lamp-iron (mine isn’t the only one in that respect according to posts on “the other channel”).
There is also much discussion on the shade of green applied to this model.
Nameplates (including cabside worksplates and smokebox numberplate), together with cabside numbers and a 64B shedplate  were sourced from Fox Transfers.
Nameplates (including cabside worksplates and smokebox numberplate), together with cabside numbers and a 64B shedplate were sourced from Fox Transfers.
The advantage of the painted name meant the usual removal “surgery” was not required but just removal of part of the painted name,
The advantage of the painted name meant the usual removal “surgery” was not required but just removal of part of the painted name,
A Tamiya swab dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol made short work of removing the unwanted ends of the name.
A Tamiya swab dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol made short work of removing the unwanted ends of the name.
With other locos I have just removed part(s) of the cabside numbers only to find that the replacement digit(s) were generally of a slightly different size/shade.  So this time I removed the whole number as Fox supplied the complete new number
With other locos I have just removed part(s) of the cabside numbers only to find that the replacement digit(s) were generally of a slightly different size/shade. So this time I removed the whole number as Fox supplied the complete new number
T.B.C.
Last edited by Ex-Pat on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Pat

Re: A2/3 arrives

Post by Ex-Pat »

The new plates are ready for fixing
The new plates are ready for fixing
‘Ello! ‘ello! ‘ello! – wot’s this ‘ere then?  This small piece of plastic dropped out of the loco – unfortunately it’s not the missing lamp-iron, and only time will tell if it is of importance!
‘Ello! ‘ello! ‘ello! – wot’s this ‘ere then? This small piece of plastic dropped out of the loco – unfortunately it’s not the missing lamp-iron, and only time will tell if it is of importance!
Job done!
Job done!
Honeyway at work
Honeyway at work
Bigmet

Re: From a "Hunt" to a "Shire"

Post by Bigmet »

Neat work to change the identity. Was the bogie turned round to hide the NEM coupler pocket, or is that just an accident? When I get around to a purchase of one of these, I plan to solve the livery problem by giving it a filth treatment, as this class was typically very grubby in the late crest period. The identity as yet undetermined, 60520, 'Owen Tudor' or 60523 'Sunk A___hole' appear to have been the most regular A2/3 visitors to KX.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Bigmet - the bogie inversion was not intentional.

Never heard of Sun Castle's alter ego before!

I distinctly remember seeing "Chamossaire" at KX.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

'Chamossaire' and 'Dante' would be the other top A2/3 candidates. Really haven't made my mind up yet. I tend to play a little fast and loose anyway. The Brits which ran the KX-Hull services in about 61 never included 70008 'Black Prince' AFAIK. Never mind that, I am so having one of the best names on a BR standard! Likewise the Pepp A2's for which the obvious choice is Grantham's 60533 'Happy Knight'. Can I resist adding 60538 'Velocity' and 60539 'Bronzino' despite their usual beat being NER/ScR? No I cannot, two of the best names on these lovely machines.
Ex-Pat

Re: Shed Roof Louvres

Post by Ex-Pat »

I have decided that the nitty-gritty of construction is more appropriate to the Workbench threads than the Layouts under Construction threads. So this runs in conjunction with cross references on the Layout thread.

The shed roof Louvres were tackled by:
cutting out 6 louvre roof supports and selecting strips for the louvres (although in the event I decided to use finer strips than those shown here).
cutting out 6 louvre roof supports and selecting strips for the louvres (although in the event I decided to use finer strips than those shown here).
The first louvre roof support was glued in place
The first louvre roof support was glued in place
and here all 6 are affixed, together with the concrete edging along the top of the end walls.
and here all 6 are affixed, together with the concrete edging along the top of the end walls.
IMG_1821.JPG (84.33 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
I then decided that further supports were required and increased their number to 11.
I then decided that further supports were required and increased their number to 11.
Magnifying glass study of a photograph revealed that the front end of the shed had no holes in the support so I had to blank it off, and also drill the small hole near the apex of the end wall.
Magnifying glass study of a photograph revealed that the front end of the shed had no holes in the support so I had to blank it off, and also drill the small hole near the apex of the end wall.
T.B.C.
Ex-Pat

Shed Roof Louvres (Continued)

Post by Ex-Pat »

The first louvre strip is cemented in place at one end.
IMG_1840.JPG
and left overhanging initially at the other end before trimming to length.
and left overhanging initially at the other end before trimming to length.
In fact with subsequent strips rather than accurately measure their length I found them far easier to handle by applying them vastly oversize and then cutting off the surplus.
In fact with subsequent strips rather than accurately measure their length I found them far easier to handle by applying them vastly oversize and then cutting off the surplus.
All 3 strips now in place down one side.
All 3 strips now in place down one side.
Vertical strips had to be cut (25 each side) and an impromptu aid was to butt the first made to measure strip up to a set square together with a long strip and just cut the long strip to the same length rather than measure each and every one.  The trimmed off surplus lengths were put to use here.
Vertical strips had to be cut (25 each side) and an impromptu aid was to butt the first made to measure strip up to a set square together with a long strip and just cut the long strip to the same length rather than measure each and every one. The trimmed off surplus lengths were put to use here.
T.B.C.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's coming on well, looking very neat, which it needs to be for a convincing end result. For some reason broken or damaged louvres on a prototype don't model well: they have to be perfect on the model...
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Great stuff. Power to your elbow. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Ex-Pat

Shed Roof Louvres (Continued)

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Bigmet & manna.
This shows 7 of the first 9 vertical strips in place – only another 41 to do!  Rather fiddly with them being so small.
This shows 7 of the first 9 vertical strips in place – only another 41 to do! Rather fiddly with them being so small.
All verticals now in place.
All verticals now in place.
Next stage will be to paint the louvres and enclosed roof surface before fabricating and attaching the louvre roof.
Ex-Pat

Locoshed Louvre Roof

Post by Ex-Pat »

A first coat of brown has been applied to the timberwork
A first coat of brown has been applied to the timberwork
A second coat has been applied (it will eventually receive substantial smoke weathering), and the louvre roof has been cut out.
A second coat has been applied (it will eventually receive substantial smoke weathering), and the louvre roof has been cut out.
However, because of the totally enclosed area behind the louvres, it was impossible to cement the roof on using Mek-Pak as it dried too quickly, and I couldn’t use Roket Card Glue as I didn’t have enough fingers/hands to exert the necessary pressure.

So I changed tack and re-prepared the louvre roof in two sides thus enabling fairly easy access to cementing one side in place, and slightly less access when cementing the other side, as I had to start at one end and bend the roof up as I went along its length one support at a time.
Here, one side has been cemented in place.
Here, one side has been cemented in place.
Both sides are now on – it doesn’t matter about the gap along the top as the ridge tiles will cover it.
Both sides are now on – it doesn’t matter about the gap along the top as the ridge tiles will cover it.
The louvre roof was also corrugated ,and I got this far before I ran out of Plastikard Corrugated sheet. Unfortunately there are no stockists in Ireland (or Northern Ireland) so I will be picking a sheet up in England at Christmas.
Attachments
As with the main roof the gap along the top will be covered by ridge tiling.
As with the main roof the gap along the top will be covered by ridge tiling.
Ex-Pat

Locoshed Smoke Extraction/Ventilation Shafts

Post by Ex-Pat »

Attention was then turned to the smoke extraction/ventilation shafts seen here:
6blow-up7457(2).jpg
The first pieces are cut out and then
The first pieces are cut out and then
gradually built up to produce
gradually built up to produce
the first basic skeleton.
the first basic skeleton.
the panel strips are now being added – a lot of fiddly work involved!
the panel strips are now being added – a lot of fiddly work involved!
T.B.C.
Ex-Pat

Locoshed Smoke Extraction/Ventilation Shafts Cont.

Post by Ex-Pat »

resulting in the full set being ready for attachment to the roof.
resulting in the full set being ready for attachment to the roof.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Racing along, with all those fiddly details. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Ex-Pat

Re: Hawick Sand Drying House

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna – though I think “plodding” applies more than “racing”!
The first extraction/ventilation shaft was glued in place
The first extraction/ventilation shaft was glued in place
IMG_1919.JPG (72.37 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
and attention then turned to the Sand Drying House and which is the building to the right hand side immediately in front of the shed in this photo (may be subject to copyright, so only the link is here!)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

(That link shows the shed in its final abominable form at closure, but I am reasonably sure that the sand drying house did not change that much in the previous 15 to 20 years.)
Firstly a drawing was prepared using what little photo snippets and plans that I could find.    I decided to make the building shell out of card and then cover with the Plastikard brick sheet.  The 4 card walls and one end’s brick sheet are shown here.
Firstly a drawing was prepared using what little photo snippets and plans that I could find. I decided to make the building shell out of card and then cover with the Plastikard brick sheet. The 4 card walls and one end’s brick sheet are shown here.
These 5 pieces are now assembled, and you may note that what is shown as a bottom door on my drawing has now been changed to a narrower non-door opening in line with a better photo that I came across.  The three white pieces in the foreground will be the platform outside the upper door and its supports.
These 5 pieces are now assembled, and you may note that what is shown as a bottom door on my drawing has now been changed to a narrower non-door opening in line with a better photo that I came across. The three white pieces in the foreground will be the platform outside the upper door and its supports.
The platform supports are now glued in place.
The platform supports are now glued in place.
Platform attached to building together with some of the safety rails (looking slightly over-scale but hopefully they will stand out less from a distance and once painted!)
Platform attached to building together with some of the safety rails (looking slightly over-scale but hopefully they will stand out less from a distance and once painted!)
T.B.C.