N Gauge oval in the countryside

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: N Gauge oval in the countryside

Post by heda »

Thanks all for the kind comments.
Timbersurf if you can scale your motorbike down your welcome to pop round and take it for a spin, but there is an S bend just out of sight at the top right.
PNP when I planned the landscape I imagined the village to be in a valley by the river, the earth taken from the cutting was used to raise the road leading down if that makes sense. In hindsight (a wonderful thing), I wish I had raised the whole village slightly, maybe to platform height.

Anyway a small update. The two blocks of houses have had led's fitted in some rooms and are now stuck down to the board. Chimneys have been replaced by plastic tube, courtesy of cotton buds, so they are no longer solid, I still need to weather them with some soot. The shops are clad and painted, they will have led's fitted then window displays. Name boards etc before sticking down.
Dave

carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Those two shots are terrific Heda, the town scene nestles beautifully in to your country setting. The platform lights look a touch over scale against that backdrop though. :?

Paul
heda

Post by heda »

Hi Paul

I'm going to give the lights some thought, they currently stand at around 20', I can take them out and lower them without to much hassle. I used the same lights on the platform at the back but took them down to around 16' and they do look at lot better. The other consideration is that I have a footbridge and island platform canopy to add yet so I'll see how it all scales out when there ready to fit. I did build a Kestrel footbridge but it was way to overpowering so now in the process of building my own from the 'odds and ends box'.

Dave
heda

Post by heda »

The first shop unit is finished and stuck down, also two women chatting (gossiping ) in the back garden. The shop is named after my grandson (Grayson). There is a man and his bicycle laying on the ground to the right of the shop. He went to lean his bike up against the chip shop not realising it wasn't there. Hopefully he will have sobered up when the next shops are in place. Also new platform lights on order, as Carneham mentioned the do look over scale.

Dave

HarryR

Post by HarryR »

A very impressive layout
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

It's coming on a treat! I do like a background story and subtle naming of a personal but non obvious nature is always good :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
heda

Post by heda »

Well the shops are finally completed and stuck down, The first two pictures are from normal viewing distance, the other three are close up showing all the faults that the eye (at least mine) doesn't see. I need to connect the lighting up next. The actual layout is pretty much completre but far from finished, I've got to settle down to making and painting the smaller features, cars, people, trees, signs etc. As people say it is never actually finished.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

I have now sold the layout on. I had been thinking for a while what to do as I was finding the small detail harder to work with. I got it out of storage a couple of weeks ago, plugged in the controller and it showed 'error'. That was the final decision made for me. It has gone to a good home and the buyer has joined this forum so I'm looking forward to hearing that the fault is sorted and hoping to see more progress on the layout.
I haven't given up railway modelling though, I am planning a small OO gauge layout, it's still in the sketch stage at the moment until track arrives and I can see what size I can work to but I shall be starting a new thread in due course as well as asking lots of questions as I know nothing about OO gauge other than it is massive !

Dave
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

00 gauge massive... :lol: 0 gauge is massive... Actually the narrow gauge of 0 can be quite small as I can squeeze in five or six coaches and a loco in two same length as a loco and three coaches in 00, as narrow gauge looks nice with shorter coaches.
No doubt in N gauge one can fit a lot more in, but the large scales are easier to handle especially when it comes to maintenance, construction and painting etc comes into play.
I would say that 00 gauge is the average scale. I mean... It is an ideal in between scale.
Mannick

Post by Mannick »

Just found this thread. Wonderful layout. Congrats.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi heda,

A shame it had to go, but I tried and failed with 'N' for the very reason you let it go.
What it did do was prove that even with limited space you could turn out a cracking
good layout.

Geoff T.
heda

Post by heda »

Well what a surprise, have a lazy morning, browse the layout threads and the first one is the layout I sold 18 months ago. The buyer never did join the forum, or at least if he did has never posted on here.
It was a shame to see it go but I am enjoying building my OO gauge layout which is currently on hold as my wife decided she wanted a small Christmas layout.
As Dad-1 said space shouldn't be a problem, all may layouts stand on end against the wall when not in use and are small and portable enough to sit on a dining room table or bed.
Dave