Danny's Layout [Flaxengate] (N Gauge)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

You're doing a great job and thanks for the update, great pics....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

What can I say Danny??

Brilliant initial idea and it's coming along nicely, superb depth of landscape!!! :D

Paul
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hey Danny, looking good :)

I think this layout is just so unusual, it's great!

I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but what loco's do you intend to run?
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Metheringham wrote:I'm not sure about the Era. Most of the layout will be country side so there won't be many pointers about what time it is, although I am going to have an industrial town near the station. I'm planning on running DMU's and the occasional frieght train, so I guess that is more modern.
Page 1 :wink:

Paul
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks Paul :wink:
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

hi
been meaning to post a reply to the lastest shots for a couple of days but have been drawn elsewhere to certain things... :?
anyway, i'm really impressed with how its going danny, there's something about the track plan and the structure of the trackbed that is really pleasing. you've really avoided the flat layout that so many of us struggle with! and on a shoe-string.
the dam build looks to be coming on a treat, reminds me of Superman! do they do a caped crusader in N? or maybe a james bond about to bungee off it!
keep us up to date with pics won't you, its one of my fav layouts on here.
michael
peak

Post by peak »

Just caught up with this one.
The sense of scale is awesome.
You really will have trains in the landscape.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk
Crazy_Dave

Post by Crazy_Dave »

Hey Danny this is a great layout, and I love the way it is all developing.

I have only just started building my own layout but if it was finished I would love to build something similar to your plan.
Keep the pics coming

:D
Dave...
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=8031

"...Everything at this station is either too old or won't work... and you're both! ..."(Will Hay ~ Oh Mr Porter)
Superb

Post by Superb »

Thanks for sharing the update photos. Now the landscape is progressing we can get a really good idea of how its going to look. Fantastic. I got to agree with the others that its nice to see some more extreme landscape. That dam's gonna look, well, damned good. Well done.

DaveT
Measure twice, cut once!

F&D Railway (N Gauge)
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=7908
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

hi danny, looking really good, have you thought about doing the foil thing to get a rocky texture, i can't remember the technique exactly but its something along the lines of crumpled foil being pressed into the wet plaster and letting it set, then removing it. [but i'm sure you knew that!]
michael
TomWebber

Post by TomWebber »

Hey Danny,
thats some serious plastering there! Looks good the texture you have it - I guess any rough bits that you don't want rocky could just be hidden under scatters etc.....
Makes me want to model N-Gauge!
mmurnin900

Post by mmurnin900 »

N gauge next for me deffo
Looking great
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5
Philip.E.Thomas

Post by Philip.E.Thomas »

I've just realised how much of your build I've missed, sorry Danny didn't mean to ignore you.

It is looking really quite dramatic with the plaster on, you mentioned another layer of plaster, well you could easily put on another thin coat, try mixing some paint in with the plaster this time, saves a lot of work later on coz it gives you a nice base to work on.

Also a slightly dryer mix can give some real rocky effects, little bits of rubble everywhere, I think there is some piccies on my layout thread or website, not sure.

Look forward to see more excellent progress

Lawrence
Phillip. E. Thomas was the first President of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the first real Railroad in the USA.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=6037
My layout thread
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Danny!

Looks utterly terrific mate. Can't wait to see it flocked and weathered :)

Glad to see that excellent bridge of yours is coming along nicely too :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
davek

Post by davek »

Brillaint plastering Danny - I salute you for slapping it on, it look really good - can't wait to see more pics