Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Post by Atso »

Thanks Matt. That was the second article I'd written for BRM on the subject. I've never written anything for a publication before these two articles and was really nervous about seeing them in print - If Tony Wright and Andy McVittie hadn't asked and been so encouraging, I never would have. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. :D
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

Some time ago I designed a body tub for an LNER A5/2. However, I've been struggling to find a suitable chassis with the correct 6'6 by 6'6 wheelbase. I recently rediscovered a load of old Farish chassis blocks and was wondering if I could adapt one to work for the A5/2. I printed up a jig to hold the chassis parts (to be honest, I could've knocked this up out of plastic) and proceeded to cut two 2.5mm sections out of the chassis between the axle holes. Following some cleaning up with files and sanding sticks, I put some Araldite onto the mating faces and placed the three sections onto the jig. After about an hour, I removed the chassis from the jig and placed it on the flattest surface I could find to check for any rocking and adjust as needed.

This is the result of my efforts so far.

I'll be making up another jig to cut and shut some coupling rods; using solder for these. Once, I've done that I'll try and fit a 0.2MOD 40 tooth gear to a set of spare 4MT wheels I have and use a Nigel Lawton 8mm motor to power the contraption. Heaven only knows if it works but it's not cost me very much to have a try!
Steve
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Man your brave!
Good job we are not in the car business! You would get a bad rep if you were!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Atso

Post by Atso »

TimberSurf wrote:Man your brave!
Good job we are not in the car business! You would get a bad rep if you were!
I'm not sure if I'm brave or just plain stupid sometimes! I'm not in the car business, not looking to sell the chassis and haven't hidden the fact that I've cut and shut it so hopefully my reputation (for being plain stupid!) is secure!

A bit more progress on this.

Amazingly having chopped up and reassembled the coupling rods, the Heath Robinson contraption rolls very freely first time! I've added some strengthening plates out of 0.25mm nickel silver to the sides which I'll cut back once the epoxy has hardened.
Steve
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I would never call you stupid! Quite the opposite! I think the side plates is a brilliant idea, that guarantees little likelihood of failure of the main joints and relieves the stresses on them, sound engineering. :)
Atso

Post by Atso »

TimberSurf wrote:I would never call you stupid! Quite the opposite! I think the side plates is a brilliant idea, that guarantees little likelihood of failure of the main joints and relieves the stresses on them, sound engineering. :)
Thanks TimberSurf,

However, I cannot claim credit for the ideas as they are heavily based on the work done by Graeme King when he converted a Bachmann OO guage A1 into an A2 (BRM September 2007 - long before the A2 was available rtr). I am luckily that I have been able to tap Mr King's knowledge directly for this project - see I'm stupid really! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Atso, have you contemplated 3D printing a chassis block, you could add metal plate side frames to it. If you were concerned about the weight leave some cavities which could be filled with fine lead shot (Fluid Lead) or "Liquid Gravity" which isn't lead, but just as heavy.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Industry is now printing stainless steel, aluminium, titanium, etc, I guess it might be too expensive for us modellors, but have shapeways etc started offering suitable metals yet?
Atso

Post by Atso »

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Atso, have you contemplated 3D printing a chassis block, you could add metal plate side frames to it. If you were concerned about the weight leave some cavities which could be filled with fine lead shot (Fluid Lead) or "Liquid Gravity" which isn't lead, but just as heavy.
I have though about this but at the moment I'm looking to use up various spares that I already have (as I'm presently cash strapped). I also like the Farish reduction gearbox in their 3MT and plan to make use of this chassis as I bought several locos a few years ago very cheaply due to the domes being attached the wrong way around!

Gears and wheels are the biggest stumbling blocks really but I'm concerned about how a 3D print will wear. I know it's been done successfully in 4mm and 7mm scales but these are fitted with bearings; a size suitable for use with N gauge wheels has proven difficult to source. When I explore this route in a bit more detail, I think I'll use the print as a casting master and cast using bearing metal (a variant on white metal). It might prove easier just to etch everything as the coupling rods will need to be done this way.
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

TimberSurf wrote:Industry is now printing stainless steel, aluminium, titanium, etc, I guess it might be too expensive for us modellors, but have shapeways etc started offering suitable metals yet?
Shapeways do offer various metals. Their stainless steel and aluminium isn't accurate enough - their brass shows promise but is expensive.
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

Just a quick post to show what I'm building as my holiday project while up in North Yorkshire for the week.

In case anyone is interested, it is the 2mm Association Toad E etched kit.
Steve
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Wow Atso. You make incredible little things. Well done!

Wasn't a toad van a design that had a large opening at one end that allowed good visibility for using the brake or have I got the wrong idea about the term "Toad"?
Atso

Post by Atso »

Thanks Mountain.

Regarding the term 'Toad, I honestly don't know about what constituted deserving the designation but I do know that the LNER used the term as well with B, D, and E varieties being built during its existence - but not in Order with the B being first, the E second and the D the last.

The Toad D also formed the basic design for the BR standard brake van. The 2mm association does this as a lot and I think it would be fun to backdate one into a Toad D in the future. :)
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

It's our last full day in North Yorkshire and, having taken the Toad E as far as I can up here, I decided to go build some plastic kits.

These are the 2mm Association's injection moulded LNER six plank wagon bodies. The wagons were built in considerable bulk by the LNER and were provided in both vacuum braked and unfitted forms. In addition the wheelbase could be 9' or 10' with the chassis being of either wood or steel construction - quite a few variations for a 'standard' wagon! This is my second batch of these, the originals used shortened Peco 9' chassis for the unfitted versions and 2mm etched chassis for the fitted. All of the current batch will end up on 2mm etched chassis but I need to get some more as I'm down to my last two!
Steve
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

They look excellent.