The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
35011 GSN

Re: The BNR (another way)

Post by 35011 GSN »

that is rather nice :D
whistlehead

Post by whistlehead »

Very nice indeed! I like your idea of using shortie coaches for tight curves, I may have to steal, *ahem*, "borrow" that one...
RubyRubyRuby

Post by RubyRubyRuby »

I like the idea of a fictional company . keep up the good work intresting idea.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I'm starting to prepare for some winter projects. I have the following in mind:

Turrning a Hornby Toby into something a bit more realistic similar to the one shown on the Youtube clip "Hornby Toby the Tram Conversion", it will, however, have a BNR flavour/livery.

Fixing up a broken Pacer for the BR services.

Producing an improved preserved Hornby J83 with wire handrails and some sort of cab interior.

Turning a Hornby continental 0-4-0 tank into something that looks a bit like an 0-4-0 version of the USA tank.

Finally putting an old Triang clockwork body on a modern Hornby electric 0-4-0 chassis.

I'm not sure which one I wil start with... maybe the tram, as the BNRs first real project was a tram loco 30 or so years ago... :)
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Which Triang clockwork body have you got? Triang released normal electric chassis versions of them. They rode very high and looked all wrong. Someone did an article on cutting them down to produce more plausible designs. I should still have it but the chances of me finding it before getting absorbed in some other article are remote. :D
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi there!

Some really lovely shots on this thread, not least 'cos it's a bit of a jog down memory lane in parts. Nice to see you have the old 'Silver Seal' Black 5: what a model that was/is! More pulling power than a roomfull of bikini'clad blondes. Mine still does the trip around my garden railway and is smooth as silk when she runs with an 8 car rake at top-whack.

I also really like the train-shed idea based on the Scottish prototype. Never been to Wick but I recall Thurso being similar to this as well.

Cheers fella, good stuff,

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Bufferstop wrote:Which Triang clockwork body have you got? Triang released normal electric chassis versions of them. They rode very high and looked all wrong. Someone did an article on cutting them down to produce more plausible designs. I should still have it but the chances of me finding it before getting absorbed in some other article are remote. :D
I've got the body with the box on top where there would normally be a steam dome. I believe it was made like that to provide extra space for the spring, though I'm sure I've seen some Continental tank engines with a similar "box" somewhere. The body is a curious mix of UK and Continental styles and happens to be exactly the same length as the latest 0-4-0 chassis. I've never seen an electric version of this one before. I'll remove the moulded handrails, put some proper buffers on it, glaze the cab etc. and see how it goes. It might look a bit too odd, but it would be a rather unusual :)

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Infrontcat wrote:Hi there!

Some really lovely shots on this thread, not least 'cos it's a bit of a jog down memory lane in parts. Nice to see you have the old 'Silver Seal' Black 5: what a model that was/is! More pulling power than a roomfull of bikini'clad blondes. Mine still does the trip around my garden railway and is smooth as silk when she runs with an 8 car rake at top-whack.

I also really like the train-shed idea based on the Scottish prototype. Never been to Wick but I recall Thurso being similar to this as well.

Cheers fella, good stuff,

Tim
Thanks for your kind comments. Sadly the Silver Seal Black 5 has long gone, but in an attempt to recapture the magic I bought a Railroad one and put a older BR body on it. I've a separate thread about it on entitled "Hornby Railroad Black 5" and how I struggled to get it to haul anything! :)

The train shed works really well and I think I'll pick up another one soon for my branch terminus.

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

GeraldH wrote:I've got the body with the box on top where there would normally be a steam dome.
I've not seen that version, they did two in the late 50s early 60s, both 0-6-0s, a diesel and a saddle tank. They both pushed the height to the limit of Triang's loading gauge which was overscale to begin with. When cut down you got a passable impression of an Austerity tank, and something which could never pass as an 08. I don't think they did a second run of either and the electric versions were probably an attempt to get some return on the design work as the clockwork just didn't sell. My dock shunter now boasts glazing, wire handrails and slimline tensionlocks. Humbrol satin black matches thy self coloured plastic very closely so the odd scuffs and finger marks have been restored and now it's just waiting for the wheels. There was a note on the website saying depending on product there was up to a three month turnaround, hope they're worth it.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I've started my next project based on an old Triang clockwork loco. It turns out that the body almost perfectly fits the new Hornby 0-4-0 chassis.
Clockwork1.jpg
Clockwork1.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
I just had to remove a little bit of plastic where the rear coupling was mounted and the body plonked straight on top.
Clockwork3.jpg
Clockwork3.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
Ther body is still a little high and so I need to remove a bit from the bottom of the buffer beams and then work out how to mount it properly on the chassis. I will try to use the plastic clips that are moulded on to the chassis.

I will also replace the moulded handrails with wire ones, sort out some buffers, add some weight, put some real coal in the bunker, paint it BNR blue and glaze the cab.

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Some pictures of the two other stations on the line with a few other BNR diesels.

First is a Wrenn 08 currently out of action with a broken wire. It's very handy for hauling my track cleaning train which consists of a continental Lilliput tank wagon and an old Triang cleaner. The Lilliput wagon rubs meths on the track and the Triang one then comes along after and polishes it... well that's the theory! Not many locos can pull that train up the gradients.
08.jpg
08.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
The next picture is the branch termimus with a Lima continental loco and a Fleischmann shunter. I have two of the Fleischmann locos and they double head very well: they also see duty on the track cleaning train.
ContDiesels.jpg
ContDiesels.jpg (46.9 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
There's quite a bit more scenery to be done on this section of the layout, but I may have to move it soon and so scenic work has stalled.

whistlehead

Post by whistlehead »

Looking good, as always
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

I'm warming to this idea of a private little railway, as I have to repaint the bachmann shunters anyway once I've finished I'mproving them, (one's getting cowcathers and sideskirts ala W&U tramway,) I may well do a custom livery of my own. Keep up the good work.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I'm slowly making more progress on the Triang clockwork shunter. I've managed to fit buffers and separate wire handrails to the front end after removing the moulded on ones with my micro-chisel. I've also filled some of the big clockwork related holes in the body and now got the body height correct.

I've still got to make some improvements to the coal bunker, do the cab handrails, partially glaze the cab and paint it.
Triang.jpg
Triang.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 5687 times
Royal Blue Coaches have now started running bus services on the island after being banished from the mainland many years ago :)
Bus.jpg
Bus.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 5684 times

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Great layout, very interesting thread! I too model an island railway system and find much inspiration on this thread. Could you please post a track plan?

Thomas
SOUTHERN FOR SUNSHINE