Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO' New loco's and coaches

Post by Ex-Pat »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

I've priced up Gresleys suburban coaches as kits and they work out at only 13 pounds each plus wheels, which to me is very good value,

manna
Are they the Ian Kirk kits? - (generally hard to come by from retailers at exhibitions!).
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Yep, your right Ex-Pat, but you could try these http://www.cooper-craft.co.uk/00carriages.html I have yet to order any from this source, but it won't be long.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Since I built the J3, I've realized how useful they are, so I as I did'nt have another kit laying around, I'd have to build one,!! I did have an old Dublo 0-6-0 chassis laying around, so using that, i built a nice new body for it, I've taken the measurements from the K's J3, but it had to have a few adjustments as the wheelbase is shorter, it's taken a week so far, and is now in grey undercoat, the camera batteries have go flat so no pictures in grey, maybe in the next few days !!

manna
Attachments
J3-24.JPG
J3-24.JPG (63.62 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
J3-20.JPG
J3-20.JPG (79 KiB) Viewed 8860 times
New J3-3.JPG
New J3-3.JPG (69.93 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
ceejaydee

Post by ceejaydee »

Proper old skool scratchbuilding there Manna and with dimensions altered to suit the chassis you had rather than not making the model because you needed the exact right one.
I absolutely love this kind of approach to the hobby :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for that, the old Dublo chassis is fairly close (5-6mm off) but it serves my needs, if I ever get round to scratchbuilding a chassis, I only have to move the splashers a bit, everything else is in the right place.

The RTR, suppliers, are only just getting round to the fact that the REAL railway was mostly run by small 0-6-0's, hundreds of them, so I'm trying to reflect that. They'll be a few more to come in the future :lol:

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here's some pics of the almost finished the J3, the few jobs needed to finish the engine can be done in time, but she's finished enough to be put to work on the layout, enjoy :D

manna
Attachments
painted J3-3.JPG
painted J3-3.JPG (89.32 KiB) Viewed 8682 times
painted J3-1.JPG
painted J3-1.JPG (84.93 KiB) Viewed 8683 times
Two J3's.JPG
Two J3's.JPG (71.48 KiB) Viewed 8682 times
ceejaydee

Post by ceejaydee »

Scratch built J3 turned out really well; did you make the tender too?
Regards
Christopher D.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The tender is Hornby, from a B12, but one of these days I'm gonna have to sit down and work out how to make half a dozen tenders ( I was hoping some RTR manufacturer would have released a GN tender loco by now !!) :shock: fingers crossed for Bachmann this year :P

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Time for another update methinks, but this time it's about the fiddle-yard, it's been a bit of a bind lately, just not big enough, so when a very nice chipboard door was going for nowt, I grabbed it, the back half of the fiddle-yard was removed, the new board was fitted and the track relaid, curve's have been eased, and straight trackwork is now straight, siding length has been increased, the longest siding is now just over 6' and the amount of sidings increased form 4 long and 4 short to 7 long and 2 short plus and engine siding, so there's big increase, in actual siding length :D :D

A couple of other projects are on hold at the moment as I'm waiting for parts.

manna
Attachments
AFTER -3.JPG
AFTER -3.JPG (81.24 KiB) Viewed 8509 times
AFTER-1.JPG
AFTER-1.JPG (72.9 KiB) Viewed 8509 times
manna

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO' Boring fiddleyard extention

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thought it was about time I let you in on my next project, an Atlantic, in fact a LNER C1 4-4-2, I started building this one over 30 years ago, (well the chassis) so I thought it was time to build the body and get the thing running up to Edgware.

I am using a B12 as a base, first thing to do is remove the body, and carefully remove the rear wheels of the B12 chassis, you now have a 4-4-0, pop out the magnets, save these wheels you'll need them, out with the hacksaw, remove the metal under the motor, and up to the (now) rear wheels, this space is for the trailing truck, that sits under the cab/firebox, after that it's time to gently remove the center flangless wheels, once these are removed you replace them with the flanged wheels you took off earlier, you now have a 4-4-0 again, but with all wheels flanged.

In your shopping list for this loco you will need, another B12 body, a Hornby 'Hall' extension plate and cylinders, Hornby (old style) 'Princess' valve gear, and the extra long valve gear screws. Also the trailing truck from a later version of a Hornby A1/3

Piccy time

manna
Attachments
4mm has been taken out of the boiler, just after the smokebox, and reglued into place, a cut of 11mm in the running plate has also been made for the cylinders
4mm has been taken out of the boiler, just after the smokebox, and reglued into place, a cut of 11mm in the running plate has also been made for the cylinders
B12 with short boiler.JPG (79.54 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
A cut behind the rear splasher
A cut behind the rear splasher
DSCF0069.JPG (85.5 KiB) Viewed 8384 times
A chunk of boiler from B12 number 2 approx 9 mm long, links it back together again
A chunk of boiler from B12 number 2 approx 9 mm long, links it back together again
DSCF0071.JPG (93.6 KiB) Viewed 8384 times
manna

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO' Take one B12 and a hacksaw

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I've got a bit further with the C1 almost to the point of having it running, but sorry no pics yet. :(

I like to have more than one thing on the go at once, the other project was a J39 from a Hornby D49 and fitting it to a Hornby 0-6-0, I know I could have bought one from Bachmann...... it was a easy conversion taking little over a week, and if you have a B1 tender laying around, so much the better, here's a few pics to give you an idea how it looks.

manna
Attachments
DSCF0056.JPG
DSCF0056.JPG (86.66 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
LNER J39.JPG
LNER J39.JPG (80.72 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
1st cut.JPG
1st cut.JPG (91.46 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
manna

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO' D49 to a J39

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Wow, about 6 weeks since my last update, where doe's the time go, all the platform edges have been finished, and a new point bought, still need another one, though, latest project was, after the disappointment with the Model Rail, Sentinel Y1/3 (Price) I thought I'd build one I've had a small bogie motor floating around the railway room for years, so that's what I used (cost about a fiver) being very close to scale length (2mm out) I also managed to find some plans on the internet, which also kept the cost down, it's built from plastic card, except the water tank filler (whitemetal) and the drive shafts (brass wire) there is still a few jobs to do, cab steps, whistle, and the plate that goes over the funnel, see what you think............... oh! and total cost about 7 quid, better than 75BP :lol:

manna
Attachments
DSCF0053.JPG
DSCF0053.JPG (84.72 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
DSCF0070.JPG
DSCF0070.JPG (66.67 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
DSCF0092.JPG
DSCF0092.JPG (78.8 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
DSCF0089.JPG
DSCF0089.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
Alexander Court

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO' Y oh Y

Post by Alexander Court »

I think your sentinel looks better than the ready to run ones, more realistic looking.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
HARRYMALLARD

Post by HARRYMALLARD »

And you have the satisfaction that you built it not I bought it :D Very nice indeed
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the nice comments on the Sentinel, she pulls 8 wagons with ease.

Been a while since I last brought you up to date on what I've been doing, I've started on Edgwares station buildings, thinking a couple of weeks, should see them knocked off..................wrong :roll: all up there 455 mill long, which takes up a fair bit of platform, but at least it all fits, the windows alone have taken near on three weeks, so I'm thinking now it's going to take a couple of months, see, next post. put up the wrong pictures.

manna
Last edited by manna on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.