Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Wordsworth Begins

Post by mikem64 »

OK I've come back from the brink of total madness and eventually found what I was looking for, many hours wasted just to find my Duck & Swan models (White metal kits).

So no laughing please.

As I said my painting skills are really bad, and I wish I meant that where the meaning bad is good, but no I mean Bad as in bad. I've not shown the ducks as they look like mutants, but the swans have turned out really well actually...... for my skill level.

Sorry about the flash photography but it was late last night and it's rather dark down that side of the layout.

But this is not the reason for my like chat. I've been painting the rails with a brush and it's very slow going and then I get bored, so after reading many reviews about the Rusty Rail Tool Kit I thought I'd invest in one (Silly me bought the wrong one, Weathered Black) But the good news is how quick it works. In just one hour I've painted the full North section of the layout.... GREAT :P

Just washed the unit out and having a pot of tea to refuel the tanks, and then back into the loft for some ballast work, I feel I might actually make some progress today instead of just day dreaming and think up more stupid ideas.

So anyone who is thinking about buying one of these kits, my advice is go for it as it really does speed things up.

Catch ya later,

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Mike,
So glad the Fowl have come home to roost --- I was beginning to worry for your Mental Health :lol: I'm actually now more concerned for the swan's feathers below the Plimsoll Line --- must be such a contrast, Brilliant White on top and Bright Orange underneath. The modelling is great, mate. Keep-up the good work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

oo-er.......i better not tell ya i just had duck for lunch (if only *day dream/trance* ah........*pop*

sorry

geesh.....do you forget what engines you have?? Judging by that I think I can safely say you have more than me :P
The variety of stock is...is....is WONDERFUL!!!!

keep up zee good vork :P

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

They say it's a very fine line between genius & insanity, which side of the line I'm on I'm just not sure !!!!!! :? But I feel to be a modeller you need a little of both.

As for the number of loco's.......well I really have lost count, I've been buying models for a few years before this project started and in the early days I just went a little mad and bought on impulse, at first I started a model list so I knew where and what I had, that stopped and any new models were tested on arrival and then boxed back up and put into my ever growing stock pile. I hope I haven't duplicated on any purchase ? Or not too many times, I did come across 2 models of the Mallard ( No not ducks again.....) the A4 model, so I'd just finished reading an article about changing model identity so I chnaged one to Sparrow Hawk which for my first attempt went rather well, I've now packed it back up and once again it's lost within my mountain of stock under the layout, still better than where it was all before, in our bedroom, drove the wife nuts as it was everywhere, under the bed, in the wardrobes, on top of the wardrobe, basically anywhere there was space.

Maybe that's why my wife helped so much getting the loft converted, so she could reclaim the bedroom.

At some point I will have to go through everything, so I know exactly what I've got, plus I need an inventory as you never know if an insurance claim will need making ???? :shock:

Anyway I had a little go at ballast work again, I believe I'm getting better at this, and for the eagle eyed people, yes this is a different colour to my first ballast attempt. I had two packs of light brown ballast left and a pack of dark brown, so I mixed them together to make sure I had enough to complete this section..... and well .... its a little darker than I thought, but I actually like this blend better that the engine shed area.

Here is the section from Platform 1 North Fangore with the goods area to the right.

Same view but this time with the platform back in place and some carriages. I still have the screws to remove and fill once the glue has dried.

You would never guess what I came across when I was looking for my ducks ?

A very old model of a VW Camper, it was my wifes when she was a kid, so quite sentimental.

It's lost all it's paint work, but that's OK as I plan to use it in one of the following positions, it will either go into my Garage workshop scene or will be placed down a lane as a rusting wreck.

I've also made a start at putting grass scatter down outside the Engine shed area.

Needs a few more bushes I feel, some at the fence ends ?

A view from North Fangore Goods Area into Wordsworth Engine sheds

The first Goods Shed onto the sidings, this was the first kit I ever built for this layout, it's the free scalescene version & looks well on the newly laid ballast.

This can't be a good sign ! Would you want to be on this train ?

Sorry that's my wrapped sense of humour creeping in again.... :twisted:

At this point I'll say good night.

Mike.
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

mikem64 wrote: Image

Ahhh, they must be serving the salmon mousse on the buffet coach again :roll:

Or are you filming Final Destination 5?

Anyways, good work :D

BomBaDillic
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

bombadillic wrote:
mikem64 wrote: Image

Ahhh, they must be serving the salmon mousse on the buffet coach again :roll:

Or are you filming Final Destination 5?

Anyways, good work :D

BomBaDillic
And for afters they are serving Death by Chocolate.....

Film crew you say ? Now there's another idea I can use, a nice little cameo scene brewing in my head.

So only a few hours yesterday on the layout as I was dragged kicking and screaming shopping, not just any old shopping but Christmas Shopping. :(

Not much more to see on top of the base board, but I've connnected my last few droppers onto the main bus wiring, can't see any others hanging loose, so that's that completed, a word not used often on my board.

Next venture under the base board is the start of the Point wiring, all 24 points have seep motor control (Well two actually have Peco PL-11 surface mounted points)

Made just a few more bushes in my normal way, once they were semi dry I got them into place, it's slow but I really like how this North end of the layout is developing. Also built the second wall for the Engine shed at Wordsworth.

Just a few photo's for all the photo junkies like mayself out there.

One of my favourite models at the moment, my Bachmann sound fitted class 20.

Here is a lovely photo where the new engine meets the old.

Thought I'd use some old sleepers & rails as Engine shed scatter ? Still need to paint them.

A nice view looking down the line of engines parked up between their duty shifts.

Looking down from the coaling ramp the view is just getting better as the scenery goes in, the second engine shed wall goes onto the board, just two more to go & then the roof can be started.

An ariel view showing the general area.

This area needs a little more detailing I believe, the coal drop

Well tea break done, if I'm lucky I'll get some more work time in the loft later today, but first a few plants need taking care of in the garden, then it's 12 Days to Christmas which means it's time to put up the Christmas tree & decorations.

Got to go as I'm now getting the evil eye from my other half.

Catch everyone later.

Mike.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Mike,

I love this, including the 'black' humour ..... First of all Railway Modelling should be fun, even if we take extreme care in getting it looking right. Looking forward to more after the Xmas chores ...... the only good Christmas shopping is done in the model shop ?

Geoff T.
slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Fantastic work and photo's Mike. Many thanks for sharing them.

Are you or have you been a carpenter like me? I recognise a carpenters "top" mark there :D :D

There's a little comp. for people.. "find the top mark"

To keep a track of your loco's have you ever thought of something like this Mike? http://www.trackthosetrains.com/

I had a trial version some time ago and found it is rather good.

greets slackers
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

Smashing stuff Mike! :D ,

Looking forward to seeing that loco shed area develop, there's just so much going on with that layout! I wish i had planned mine a bit better instead of having to squeeze things in here and there, like a loco and goods yard etc!
You seem to have allowed plenty of space for things like that and i think it's paid off! Great work with the ballasting, i may attempt it sometime in the future, who knows! I do admire poeple who can do it well, i've just got this phobia about making a mess! But then again i suppose it's inevitable in this hobby! Great work and keep it up! :wink: .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

It's a big hi to everyone,

I've been very busy with work and Christmas I haven't been in the loft at all since my last post, I haven't had time to get onto my PC to see what everyone else has been doing.

I hope everyone is having a great Christmas, and everyone got something they either wanted or needed for their model layouts, as I did get a few suprises, no photo's yet, but since I now have time off work (Until Tuesday) I thought I have a look at my layout, I've been missing it.

Before I go I need to thank everyone for their comments, they do help to keep one motivated when things just seem to go wrong all by themselves.

Did check out that catalogue software, very similar to what I'm using at present, even though mine is just an excel sheet, the only problem is keeping it up to date, I've been doing just that this morning and I've logged 26 loco's so far which hasn't even scratched the surface, but at least I now have some photographic evidence and dates models bought just in case. I'll take a screen shot showing how it all looks later when I do a proper update.

Last thing before I go, White Metal kits, I was given a few as presents this Christmas,how do you put the parts together. Please don't tell me they need soldering as this is not my strong point. Can they be glued together with either Super glue, or Two part epoxy ? Kits are both Knightwing and the first one is a mobile coaling conveyor (For my coal drop area - loading sacks onto the flat bed wagon) the second kit is a water crane for the engine shed.

Thank you.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

mikem64 wrote:Did check out that catalogue software, very similar to what I'm using at present, even though mine is just an excel sheet, the only problem is keeping it up to date, I've been doing just that this morning and I've logged 26 loco's so far which hasn't even scratched the surface, but at least I now have some photographic evidence and dates models bought just in case. I'll take a screen shot showing how it all looks later when I do a proper update.

Last thing before I go, White Metal kits, I was given a few as presents this Christmas,how do you put the parts together. Please don't tell me they need soldering as this is not my strong point. Can they be glued together with either Super glue, or Two part epoxy ? Kits are both Knightwing and the first one is a mobile coaling conveyor (For my coal drop area - loading sacks onto the flat bed wagon) the second kit is a water crane for the engine shed.
Sounds like a good idea regarding that excel sheet stuff.....I had a go at something like that but as my stocklist changes so much I have to keep on changing it, its quite a devotion if you are still adding to your stocklist.

you can solder whitemetal but that is very difficult as whitemetal melts so dam easily. But superglue is your better bet.

HTH

T&C

81D & 55A
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

trainsandco wrote:
mikem64 wrote:Did check out that catalogue software, very similar to what I'm using at present, even though mine is just an excel sheet, the only problem is keeping it up to date, I've been doing just that this morning and I've logged 26 loco's so far which hasn't even scratched the surface, but at least I now have some photographic evidence and dates models bought just in case. I'll take a screen shot showing how it all looks later when I do a proper update.

Sounds like a good idea regarding that excel sheet stuff.....I had a go at something like that but as my stocklist changes so much I have to keep on changing it, its quite a devotion if you are still adding to your stocklist.

you can solder whitemetal but that is very difficult as whitemetal melts so dam easily. But superglue is your better bet.

HTH

T&C
Thanks for the info, and you too Gavin, given my soldering skills I'll stick with the Superglue idea then.

Why is it when you get all hyped up ready to do some work on your layout you end up with visitors ? Bah Humbug

So not as much as I would like completed today, started cutting out the finishing parts for my Scalescene Engine Shed, hope to have this done before going back to work on Tuesday. Found my two Peco PL-11 surface mount point motors and fitted these.

As I said earlier below are my attempts to keep what models I own up to date.... I wish.

This is my Model Inventory Index Page. (MS Excel) I have it designed that when you click one of the more info buttons (Green) it takes you to the next page as below

Here it displays a larger Photo and I'll add more text detail when I get round too it. Click the green "Home" button to go back to the index page.

Another new loco did join my fleet Christmas Day (Present from my Darling Wife) and here she is.... The model & NOT the wife

A very nice close up view showing the driver in the cab of The Durham Light Infantry

And fitting the 21pin decoder was very easy, just undo the six screws with the loco upside down, roll her over and gently slip the body off from the chassis. Remove the blanking plate and push fit the new decoder into place, then just reverse the process and your in business. Certainly one of the easy models I've done.

My Daughter & son bought me the two White metal kits I mentioned this morning, but the best present they got me was this.......and I love it.

Someone is taking their last journey down the main high street on route to the Church. Just in case the horses get tired then spares are available in the LNER Horse Box Lorry

The coal man has arrived to collect his load, but where is the coal ???? On strike again I bet.

And a little vid is the last treat for today, The driver takes The Durham Light Infantry back to the engine shed after a very hard day at work.

Time to rest, as for tomorrow I have an engine shed to complete.

Hope you all enjoy.

Mike.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

mikem64 wrote:roll her over and gently slip the body off from the chassis. Remove the blanking plate and push fit the new decoder into place, then just reverse the process and your in business. Certainly one of the easy models I've done.
you talking about the wife or the loco here?? I'm confused :P ;) :lol:

T&C

81D & 55A
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

trainsandco wrote:
mikem64 wrote:roll her over and gently slip the body off from the chassis. Remove the blanking plate and push fit the new decoder into place, then just reverse the process and your in business. Certainly one of the easy models I've done.
you talking about the wife or the loco here?? I'm confused :P ;) :lol:

T&C
Now, now....

I've reached that age where if I did ever watch one of those Adult movies, I'd be thinking......"Wow that Mattress loves lovelly" :wink:

Back to the matter in hand, just a few photo's for all those interested....

Silly question but here it comes........The holes in the front end of my new class 55, I assume these are for detailing parts ? If so how do I afix them to the model without totally trashing it ?

All the parts for my engine shed are complete, just need to glue all together which shouldn't take too long. I was hoping to have a better photo here with the roof truss being hoisted into place by my black 75 ton lifting crane, can one find it no.

Another new model joints Wordsworth, a BR 4MT I believe, straight from Hattons and only cost £54..... how can you sell models that are DCC FITTED for this price ?

Here she is with the rest of the fleet parked at Wordsworth Engine shed (If I ever get it finished)

Please enjoy,

Catch ya later.

Mike.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hello everyone,

Well I did it, no day dreaming, no playing with the trains, but glue, glue and more glue. First part of the engine shed done, I haven't fitted the vents yet as I'm not sure if I want them on the building, but I have them completed and placed in a box for safe keeping.

I'll need to check my measuiring as now that the completed shed is in place it's a tad tight down the blind side to the coaling ramp.

Only another shed identical to this one to complete the scene at Wordsworth Depot.

Also completed the ballast work at North Fangore that should have been done weeks ago, that's the North Fangore Goods area done only 75% of the layout to go.

It was at this point I then realised the Diesel fueling point is longer than I thought, option will be either chisel out some ballast, or cut the plastic base area so it fits in ?

Memo to self "have all the base work & buildings in place before you glue the ballast down !!!!!!"

So how does this new building look I hear you all say......Or is it just voices in my head ?

Nice view from the coaling ramp.

Here is A4 Sir Charles Newton sneaking down that blind side of the shed.

Here you see what I mean about it being a tight fit.

Here you can see the plastic base area for the diesel fueling point, just 20mm too long to fit in. Nice shot showing 3 steam engines waiting to take on coal. Photo also shows why the shed can't be moved over to the right a little as there is a line that runs down the outside of the building.

I quite happy with the results and this layout is slowing coming alive. It's from this area of the layout the scenic stuff will now start spreading out, or that's the plan.

Hope you all enjoy these new photo's.

Mike.