A new loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Below is the improved version of the layout
this will allow FULL utilisation of the loft

Hows my driving - Phone me personally if you dare
bunji

Post by bunji »

:shock: That is the biggest trackplan I've ever seen! How big is your loft? It must be huge! Can't wait to see what it turns out like though. :P
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

That's one huge trackplan and a loft !! :shock:
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

bunji wrote::shock: That is the biggest trackplan I've ever seen! How big is your loft? It must be huge! Can't wait to see what it turns out like though. :P
and it'll need lots of operators to do it justice !!
westbrom

Post by westbrom »

Nice one Shakey, that's terrific.

Neil
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

As the layout progesses, small speed camera warning symbols will begin appearing on the plan. This is not an underhand revenue generating scheme :twisted: but merely referance point on my own web site which is tracking the progress 8)

If you cannot see them now try clicking your browser refresh button :idea:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Wow nice size layout :D
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Nice Sized layout. What are the camera icons for on the image? What software did you use for the image?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Macromedia Fireworks is the software I use

The camera Icons are for my own website I use the image of the plan and cut and paste the icon onto it to show the location of certain features or finished sections I have photographed
crispycritter

Post by crispycritter »

It is a very impressive layout,I like it alot. What are is the radius of the curves in red? will they handle the locomotives you have?
All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. George Orwell's book Animal Farm
Shakey

coaling stage scratch build

Post by Shakey »

Scratch Building a Coal Bunker and Coaling Stage

In some magazines kindly given to me, called world of trains, there are various articles pertaining to model railways. A couple of the articles were about scratch building a small coaling stage and a coal bunker both articles were similar apart from the coaling stage being mounted on stilts. Again, my apologies for not documenting the coal bunker, the camera was in the attic! Here is a picture of the finished model.
All my own work and proof that scratch building is not as hard as first seems. The base is a piece of ratio brick wall painted to show the bricks as if they were “sets” The planking was made from off cuts of balsa cut to approx 3mm wide strips and then “shaved” thinner to approx 1mm and stressed at the ends. This, I thought, gives a better impression of old planks rather than using pre cut balsa as there would be too many straight lines. For the uprights I simply cut matchstick size bits of waste balsa. Total cost without coal, A BIG FAT ZERO! All the bits are waste even the ratio walling was a leftover bit from another model. Which just goes to show – never, ever, throw anything away!

On to the Coaling stage

The planking was fashioned in exactly the same way as on the coal bunker as were the uprights. The Floor of the stage however needed something different as bricks are not usually suspended on a stilted framework. I had some 4mmx4mm balsa left over from a timber yard project I am in the middle of, which when split down the middle made very acceptable 12” x 6” planking. I was careful not to be too accurate when splitting the planks as the rough edge would exactly mimic worn floor planks and wouldn’t show too many straight lines.
The length of the stage was determined by the length of a coal truck and cut the planks at 110mm which is 4 cm longer than a 10t private owner wagon. This would leave ample space then for a yard crane on the stage as well as providing plenty of room for coal. I made the stage 8 planks deep gluing small “batons” at 20mm intervals. The batons were made from waste balsa cut down and shaved to 2mmx1mm. For the legs of the stage I relented and bought balsa 2mmx2mm strip. This was cut into ten 20mm lengths and glued onto the stage at roughly 20mm intervals 1mm from the edge. Diagonal bracing strips were then cut and glued as shown in the picture.

More to follow
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

This is the headgear I am presently making with the plans Pete posted to me a year ago

full details of the build are here
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 5687#55687
westbrom

Post by westbrom »

Looking good Shaky, and that pit headgear looks great.

Neil
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Like to see that finished and in situ. Nice model that.

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

The pit headgear looks great , but im sure the pit wheel is bigger than the frame :? anyway it looks great 8)