Heljan Class 86

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
rb277170

Re: Heljan Class 86

Post by rb277170 »

I think if Heljan gave me a free class 86, I too would say nice things about it knowing they will also be making many more desirable models!
Yes this system of manufacturers giving models for review would lead to some bias I think. It doesn't happen all the time. I'm sure I've seen notes along the lines of "thanks to trains4u for loan of reviewed model" etc

Trouble is the model railway press, and some forums (not this one where free speech is allowed)are manufacturer centric. That maybe alright as long as everyone knows it. Trouble is most are two faced enough to purport themselves as being for the enthusiast, which is clearly not correct. So if your new to the hobby , read the review eg Clayton 17, nip out and buy model on that basis, then find you've got a loco with smoke coming from it, and then worse, find out that it was a known problem- then would you not feel peeved? Similarly with T9s and M7s with limited traction.

I compare this with reviews for cameras, which can be quite scathing or even new cars.

Russell
jonathan452

Post by jonathan452 »

rb277170 wrote:Ahh magazines don't like negativity. Your only allowed to write good things about models, didn't you know?

It used to be that Railway Modeler got criticised for regurgitating press releases. It looks like that honour now falls to Hornby Mag.
Can't wait for the rest to review it. In particular looking forward to Rail Express Modeler

Russell
So the new 'Model Rail' (143 - May 2010) has delivered its verdict - a rather mediocre 76%. A 'curates egg' - a term they previously used in respect of the Heljan Class 47.

Interesting the Dapol 'N' guage version scored 92% in its review on the previous page.

The 'Model Rail' reviewers seem to think the pantograph is overscale (presumably in its overall dimensions). I'm sure if the pantograph had been only slightly better (aka the LIma CLass 87) a mark in the low eighties may have resulted. Still not the 'definitive' Class 86 but at least passable rather than below the belt.

Also waiting with anticipation for the next Rail Express (REM73 May 2010).
ngresley

Post by ngresley »

jonathan452 wrote:
So the new 'Model Rail' (143 - May 2010) has delivered its verdict - a rather mediocre 76%. A 'curates egg' - a term they previously used in respect of the Heljan Class 47.
Odd that Heljan, who seem to be a niche manufacturer for the more serious modeller, come out with models that have such basic scale defects.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

ngresley wrote:Odd that Heljan, who seem to be a niche manufacturer for the more serious modeller, come out with models that have such basic scale defects.
I agree. I often wonder why this happens, especially in the case of the Western. Heljan I believe were alerted to the basic cab dimension & shape errors at a fairly early stage in the manufactuing process and i understand that photos of the real loco cab superimposed over Heljans "first shots" were sent to them to see if they could correct the errors before full production started.

It obviously fell on deaf ears!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

exactly the same was done with the 86 cab too. This was at the CAD stage so there's little excuse really.

Cheers

Jim
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Dapol post their CAD pics and apparently do make revisions to them in response to comments. Probably why people seem to prefer their 86 then :?
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Jim S-W wrote:Each to their own

I am happy to carry on detailing and remotoring Hornby ones! :D

Cheers

Jim
That's a great pix Jim. Have you done anything re motors or do they still have the Ringfield/Pancake ones inside?

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!
Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Sorry Jim. Just read you have re-motored them! What did you use and any lighting?

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi Jerry

I use bachmann Warship chassis

I havet done any ligting as it was so dim in the 80's that you couldn't see it - Even the high intensity headlights were not really visible in the day. For me nothing spoils a good model more than badly observed lighting effects.

You can read more here - http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=1935

HTH

Jim
Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Jim.

Thanks, certainly will look at it seriously. Just haad a weathering disater with mine, but performance with the Ringfield whilst pretty good will never be the same as the modern offerings.

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!
martin_l_jones

Post by martin_l_jones »

This post has gone really quiet.

I actually bought the Freightliner Class 86 in the sale recently.

I think they look ok personally.

From the outlet in Carlisle I bought mine from I was told they have not sold well, whether that is that shop or in general terms I dont know but reading the posts I understand why, hey ho, personal choice.

On the original leaflet that accompanied the launch was a Freightliner Grey liveried Class 86, I wondered if anyone knew whether there will be a follow on batch or not ?

Or I wonder whether some mods are in process on the tooling !!
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/
martin_l_jones

Post by martin_l_jones »

I'm surprised we haven't heard any news on the Class 86 at all..

I wonder if they are working on improvements, its very quiet..or if they are just busy on the new stuff..

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

Today I'm the proud owner of one of these much discussed locos.

Not having a layout to run it on, I have to wonder if there are any curves this loco would tackle save for scale curves, the bogies don't seem to move much at all. The pantograph is a total piece of cr@p and I managed to break off some of the under-carriage detail just getting it out of the box., not a major problem as it will glue back in place easily enough.
The motor is smooth and quiet as you'd expect, lots of extremely fine details (maybe too many) All in all it's a nice model to have, however I bought this on a speculative bid on ebay, never really expected to get it, but did :)

Just glad I haven't paid £100odd for it. :?
Stevefay

Post by Stevefay »

i have one of these models
I think it looks good, Im detailing a hornby 86 aswell. I got all the heljan detailing parts from Howes to do the underframes and buffer detailing parts.
I had to remove the roof equipment from the Intercity version and the pantograph is rubbish, I intend to replace it with a sommerfeldt one.
As far as I know heljan do not intend to do any other versions as these have not been very good sellers. some shops are selling these models at close to trade cost to get shot of them.
martin_l_jones

Post by martin_l_jones »

Presume there must be some remodelling going on.

Nothing at all about the Class 86's at all.

No new liveries or anything..

I was really hoping for a Freightliber Grey or new Freightliner liveried one this year so i could double head my Liners... :cry: