Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

This is looking very good, the trackwork is excellent.

I also learnt ‘the hard way’ about chain fences on uneven ground. My next layout will have a thin strip of wood inset into any banking as a base for the fence, once complete it will be ‘lost’ in the undergrowth (unkempt vegetation is another trademark of my work).

How is the left hand industrial unit done, it looks as though it is only paper thin.

Lofty
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

lofty wrote:...How is the left hand industrial unit done, it looks as though it is only paper thin.
Strangely enough that's exactly how it's done. It's a picture of a rather rundown corrugated iron building I found on 'tinternet. Printed on thin card then cutout and stuck on the backscene. Bit of an experiment really. Needs some more work with trees and bushes to disguise it.

Cheers
Dave
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Had a bit of a closer inspection of the work this morning after all the glue had dried. I'm a little more happy with it now but I still think the colours are a bit too intense. I really should have put up some better lighting before taking these shots but...

This shows the factory buildings and fencing fairly close up...

...and this is getting really close and personal. You should be able to see why it's taken a fortnight to get this up to this stage I hope. In fact some of the detail is still lost at this distance. I'll have to invest in a better camera one day. I haven't quite mastered hiding the joins in the Linka pieces so I may have to add some more ivy to the brickwork I think.

Oops, I can spot a bit of white plaster showing through, Grab the paintbrush...

Ideas and suggestions always appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

Wow! I'll have to find some time to read this thread!
retroman

Post by retroman »

Very very nice work.

Keep at it!
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=14241
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Well having had to completely re-read the whole thread (I don't know how I missed it the 1st time really) I have to say this is just stunnig work.

If this layout isn't exhibition standard by a mile then I'm George Michael's underpants.

Just amazing detailing and scenery, it makes my layout look like the ABC of railway modelling for the retarded....I am soooo jealous.

Great stuff and thanks for the continued stunning pictures.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Dave

Excellent work my friend. The trackwoek is splendid and the permenant way looks just right.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Hi Dave, Love the Brickwork and the Trackwork, but the Ivy is just excellent.......That's got to be worth a GOLD STAR and 50 house points........ :wink:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Spavo

Post by Spavo »

I hate him........... :wink:
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Awesome work Dave! Just what I like to see, overgrown! :twisted:
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Not going to get anything done this weekend as I'll be busy being sociable (difficult to believe I know). All I've managed this week is a bit of experimentation with tree making. I have a dead corner that I want to disguise so I've had a go a making a half-relief tree to disguise it. Not entirely convinced by the result so there's more work to do I fear.

Here's a shot of the problematic corner with tree attempt no.1 in place. Of course my favourite EWS gronk had to have an amble about while I had the camera out. :)

Here's another shot from a different angle which highlights some problems. The red phone box is the result of going shopping to a model shop with the wife in tow. This was a compromise, she wanted to buy lots of happy smily little people to populate the layout. :shock:

The telephone box is actually vertical honest. It's the camera angle believe me. :?

The final shot shows the view along the bridge which is the scenic break. With hindsight it might have been better if I had made the bridge taper towards the backscene to exagerate the perspective and make the layout look wider. Too late now so I'll live with what I have. Need to do some more work with the paintbrush on that road surface, much too dark.

Cheers
Dave
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

Great work and pictures once again Dave! The detail is excellent! :shock:

I love the second picture with the EWS 08 and the telephone box!

I see what you mean about the camera angles! :lol:

Keep up the good work!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"
Boothy

Post by Boothy »

Looks great Dave, I have sent you a pm for advice on hanging baskets :roll: :lol:
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Not much progress so far this week. Too cold in the garage, shortage of inspiration, shortage of ready made Linka bits and putting off fixing a problem with the double slip. :) Did get the paintbrushes out again yesterday evening while I was waiting for some Linka mouldings to harden.

Originally I had a nice clean Fred as blagged from eBay but now it seems to have got a bit grubby. Not yet happy with it and I'll do some more to reduce some of the grime in places and remove some obvious brush marks but it's getting there.

Here's the Fred running into the yard from the up main with an MEA in tow...

After ditching the MEA she heads off to the fueling/stabling point...

Eventually coming to rest for a while.

From these shots it's obvious I'm reaching the limits of my camera phone and it's time to invest in some better picture taking technology.

Must get on and fix that double slip. No real excuse as I have the day off apart from the fact that I have to go to the pub for lunch. :shock:

Cheers
Dave
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Still avoiding fixing the double slip! Blame the cold weather. Few bits and bobs of scenery work done but nothing major. A very fortunate spotter stood on Linka Road bridge managed to snap 2 locos in one. A 56 slows for a red signal while a 66 stands idle. Looks like the shunter has been a little too enthusiastic in the distance! :shock:

This is the latest work in progress, messing up one of the older Hornby 56 models. Just been looking at some shots of the loco on the web which highlights some areas which could be improved with the paintbrush but it's coming along. Managed to avoid being too heavy handed with this one (so far!).

Cheers
Dave