St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post by Chops »

Splendid little video. Remarkable how it appears so much larger.
Is that a Dapol tank on the head end? As to the Wrenn, if it fell
on my head I wouldn’t know.
Nessie rocks!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Chops,

Yes, it is the Dapol tank that I finished as an 'A' class by just painting grey and finding,
or making the required decals. A bit of a cheat as the 'A' class tanks were slightly longer
although fitted to exactly the same chassis. I can't recall the actual stretch, but it wasn't
that much and I didn't fancy trying to cut and add a small slice each side of centre.

One of the advantages of really slow running freight it always mentally extends the layout,
a scale 10 mph is ideal !

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Blame it on Lock-Down.
What ? Not happened yet ?
Just chill, watch the Dean goods chuff it's way back up the
estuary and through St Oval with a short freight.

Now I've finished most of the Club's stuff I shall just play
'Fat Controller' on either St Oval, or Two Short Planks.
Both still in regular use. You don't have to dismantle one
before you make another !!

https://youtu.be/2aPCJ0Yb-EI

Geoff T.
Chops

Post by Chops »

A beautiful train on a ingenious layout. If I may say, videography well done. Quite right not to be chopping the boiler in half to achieve
another scale 6 inches. At some point one has to ask if the game is worth the candle.

A while back, bored, I found a video from engineer POV of some simply massive, I mean aerodrome wall-to-wall massive, layout of the
grandson of Herr Porsche feauting a single electrified line meandering through an Alpine forest. It was simply the most utterly dull thing
I'd ever seen, and I like riding trains. I'd rather have spent a morning getting my teeth drilled than to see three minutes of that thing again.
First off, Herr Grandson probably employed a platoon of HO tree planters, and had the entire thing laid out by some museum staff on loan.
Your video was in everyway, charming and brilliant. Keep it coming.
Nessie rocks!
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I never get bored of watching a slow train rumble around this old girl 8)
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Out of character, out of time, a mixed-up train of various time periods.
Were it not for difficulties getting it running after many years in it's box I might have taken more care
in removing the other stock and even popping on the other two 'Mock' Caledonian coaches. O.K so
Hornby didn't make perfect accurate models - but if it's the only one !!! Here it is :-

https://youtu.be/QZL2O4eh0FM

Not exactly Scottish style buildings on West Country St Oval, but I'm pleased I gave the old loco an outing.

Geoff T
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Don't apologise for time and place I clocked 123 on Western metals in the sixties. In the company of City of Truro standing on one of the GWR traversers at Moor Street in Brum> Must have been '65 because I was working just around the corner at the time and nipped over there in my lunch hour.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Hornby did a lovely job with the livery for those more-recent Caledonian coaches although, predictably, the BR Mk One bogies and coach ends do let them down a little. The originals were, I think, 12-wheelers. I like 'em though, although my set seldom sees the light of day. Has anyone on here fitted interiors to them?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

An old man indulging himself again.
I never built that Scottish layout, but St Oval will have to do.

A Dean Sidings 'Killin Pug' 0-4-2 in action.

https://youtu.be/81UCrq2l65g

Geoff T.
Keire1947

Post by Keire1947 »

Dad-1 wrote:Bufferstop,

Perhaps being that little bit older I was able to buy all my 45's from 'Henry's' in St Mary's
Southampton ..... while they were still getting stick in the jukebox. Didn't need to get
used ones - Funny you should mention the large hole, that was standard for American
discs. Living in Southampton you nearly always knew somebody on the 'Liners'. Even
now I can clearly recall the sound of The Everly Brothers 'Cathy's Clown' drifting up into
our 1st floor office from a coffee bar joint next door. Those were the days !!

Back to plastic - No not a new song title. I fib slightly when I say I make things for nothing.
Here is most of my strip plastic, bought over many years for some job and now just spare
stock.

Somehow during the intervening years two door blanks have become lost. This was why
most of my plastic stock had to be checked over. Now standing in the kitchen just awaiting
painting and touch-ups before being classified as finished.

I'm hoping my MOJO is back, I'm enjoying this, working in the kitchen while Freya rattles
the windows.

Geoff T.
For most people, a “railway set” means one of the self-contained train sets from Hornby that contain all the track, controllers and trains needed to get started. They’re easy to set up and provide a lot of fun and a great introduction for children or those new to the hobby.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Keire1947,

This was never meant to represent a 'Train Set', or a beginners railway. The track is however built as
simple as possible using what is know as 'Set Track'. Nobody without some experience should be building
a railway track some 100 mm above their base board as here. This is no train set !!

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I remember well your deliberations on Hornby's stretching of the Pug to fit the chassis, and trying to work out myself exactly where they had stretched it. The problem was they had stretched it everywhere a little bit. You'd have ended up making a complete new tank and still would have had the bit of exposed boiler too high. I think the original Holden tank was the only one where the chassis matched the body but the wheels were still too big, makes it ride too high.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Still in regular use.
This falls into the informative bracket, all stock listed.
Some much older than you'd think. While Triang are most certainly off my ownership and
running list some of the Wrenn and Airfix RTR were quite good. Often a change of wheel
sets and replaced couplers, but still well worth running.

https://youtu.be/8JmgSyqBUPE

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I say old boy you've lost your brake van somewhere along the line! Not much chance of the pipes being connected through or even present right to the end of that mixture.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Always back to St Oval.
This time running my recently converted Hornby J15 to Youchoos Zimo sound.
Not long gone 8 am in the garage, dark enough for the platform lights to look bright.

I'll probably do a few more, but at around £110 a time there will be no flood of conversions.

As to how effective it is I'll leave that to each individual's opinion and we railway modellers have
many differing opinions ! Just hope you like it, and my constant adding videos on St Oval.

https://youtu.be/-948kE-_jOE

Geoff T.