Layout in progress - Name undecided

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bigmet

Re: Layout in progress - Name undecided

Post by Bigmet »

Some time since I last looked in, and 'Crikey!'. It's like a high speed review of railway modelling development; at this rate you'll be on dead track r/c battery powered P4 by 2028. Layout name, how about 'New Altrins - under - Wey'?
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Bigmet wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:23 pm Some time since I last looked in, and 'Crikey!'. It's like a high speed review of railway modelling development; at this rate you'll be on dead track r/c battery powered P4 by 2028. Layout name, how about 'New Altrins - under - Wey'?
Haha it's certainly had a few changes, but it was always a learning railway for me, as my 1st ever layout.

Circumstances have changed, and I'm pretty much decided this layout has gone as far as it will, the shed is just a little too small to do the track I'd like and I'm not happy with the compromises I'd have to make to make it fit the space. I also need to use part of the shed to store the kids bikes. I'd planned on trying to build a bigger garden room to use for storage below a completely new railway, but lack of money prohibits this.

On top of that, a very good friend has decided he has too many projects, and is gifting me his part finished O gauge end to end layout, so that he can concentrate on his N gauge, and I can finish off his O gauge layout. As luck would have it, his layout will almost fit my shed, only needing around 100mm trimming off the length to make it fit. It will come part way over the door, but not too much, and it will give me the other side of the shed for the bikes.

As well as the O gauge, he's also given me around 40 pieces of gauge 1 Peace flexi track, each length approx. 900mm, and some points and a crossing that he'd wanted to do a garden railway with, but never got around to it and now ill health prevents him from being able to do that, so another possible project in the future.

So the 'name undecided' will remain that way, but it's been a good learning experience, and will help with planning my next OO layout when funds allow for a bigger space.

PS. Bigmet, when I eventually get around to laying the gauge 1 track, dead track with battery powered R/C locos is the idea, possibly a solar powered unit too.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Aha. The person I know who started in 4mm and within five years had 5" gauge live steam in the garden is now considering a couple of real track panels and a vehicle - possibly a horsebox if he can find one - to put on those rails, and if it is the vehicle of choice, to stable the wife's ponies...