Bachmann no longer list Hattons as a stockist

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
b308

Re: Bachmann no longer list Hattons as a stockist

Post by b308 »

As i said on the other thread I doubt they'd make such a basic mistake and if it was it would have been challenged years ago, their T&Cs are not new.

As for that last paragraph you could insert any other manufacturer name and say the same thing.
sparkhill

Post by sparkhill »

Pretty hard to work Bachmann out as our local hobby shop refuses to sell Bachmann model trains because the Australian distributor refuses to give their products any warranty at all
Regards
Nobby
rb277170

Post by rb277170 »

Frankly Bachmann are only bringing out a limited amount of models . Hattons have presumably judged it’s no great loss and they would make more money on distribution of their own range
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

rb277170 wrote:Frankly Bachmann are only bringing out a limited amount of models . Hattons have presumably judged it’s no great loss and they would make more money on distribution of their own range
Er.. 44 items just released http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/606/OO-Gauge hardly is a limited amount of models
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Bachmann have not supplied Hattons since August 2018. Still if is fun reading the speculation as to why. And yes I DO KNOW WHY before anybody jumps in
End2end

Post by End2end »

OK. I'll bite. Why? :D
If it is because Hattons are now selling thier own manufactured items then why are Gaugemasters shelves full of Bachmann items?
It seems they are being very choosy with retailers. One is OK yet another has been denied.
It's all very odd.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

End2end wrote:OK. I'll bite. Why? :D
If it is because Hattons are now selling thier own manufactured items then why are Gaugemasters shelves full of Bachmann items?
It seems they are being very choosy with retailers. One is OK yet another has been denied.
It's all very odd.
Thanks
End2end
Gaugemasters own range does not clash with Bachmanns. A lot of Gaugemasters locos etc are commissioned,
b308

Post by b308 »

I really can't see any issue. Hattons decided to start manufacturing in competition with Bachmann and Bachmann withdrew their range from them. Hattons obviously decided that it was worth their while doing it, knowing that their actions would result in the actions Bachmann have taken, Bachmann also weighed up their options and decided that was the best course of action. Bachmann won't lose any sales as buyers will just go to another supplier of which there are plenty. I don't know anyone who just sticks to one shop, we all shop around, in today's competitive market we'd be stupid if we didn't! How Hattons will fair we'll just have to wait and see, though I can't see them losing out either.
End2end

Post by End2end »

trainlover23 wrote:Gaugemasters own range does not clash with Bachmanns. A lot of Gaugemasters locos etc are commissioned,
Ahh I see. Yes that makes a lot more sense now. Commissioners rather than actual manufacturers. Thanks trainlover23. :wink:
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote:OK. I'll bite. Why?
It's all very odd...
The provocative action by Hattons was to go after one of Bachmann's better selling products in the form of the class 66. (To add insult to injury, it appears from its reception that the new Hattons 66 is a significantly superior model.) Bachmann haven't taken notice of Kernow's 'own brand' obscure diesel types, to name another retailer which has emerged as a full fledged manufacturer, although not one that has 'gone after' an item already in Bachmann's range: Bachmann exercising the discretion that is mentioned in their T&C's.

But this action against Hattons is really a sideshow. From Bachmann having had a good proportion of the BR and after diesel traction models as 'best RTR OO model available', competitors are moving in very rapidly with actually superior or yet to be seen alternatives:
SLW class 24;
Heljan classes 25, 45, 47;
Accurascale 37, 55;
Hattons 66.

That's a brutal assault, and with multiple competitors piling in it isn't going to ease up, Bachmann's as yet unchallenged
classes 20, 40, and 42, (maybe also the 70?) are likely to be offered from 'elsewhere' soon enough as 'better yet' models. Bachmann are going to have to fight fire with fire much as Hornby did against the Rails' Terrier, if they want to hold their ground; actions against retailers cannot be effective against this.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Hattons also made their own models available to other model shops so bringing directly into being a manufacturer supplying the trade with a range of models in direct competition to Bachmanns trade market.