class T9 chassis rot

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
GWR_fan

Re: class T9 chassis rot

Post by GWR_fan »

Keiron,
already happening!!!!!!!!!
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Following on from the T9, I'm glad to confirm that mine is ok and I've also fitted four 470uf x 16v electrolytic caps in the tender along with the circuit for current limiting. The decoder is a Zimo MX621 which goes in easily. Here's a couple of pic's..... I hope. [attachment=1]Zimo-MX-621 no 2.jpg
Caps no 2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Caps no 2.jpg
Caps no 2.jpg (45.14 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Zimo-MX-621 no 2.jpg
Zimo-MX-621 no 2.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Pete.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I put the text below in that post but it didn't come up.

Following on from the T9, I'm glad to confirm that mine is ok and I've also fitted four 470uf x 16v electrolytic caps in the tender along with the circuit for current limiting. The decoder is a Zimo MX621 which goes in easily. Here's a couple of pic's..... I hope.
Pete.
cobach47

Post by cobach47 »

i am looking at a T9 for a friend complaining of poor running - this loco was a replacement for another T9 the chassis fell to pieces when the body was removed the part that supports the bogie was broken off and someone in the factory has re-attached it with the black putty used for retaining the wires. this is a total bodge by hornby which needs to be highlighted in the model railway press
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Several of my T9 locomotives had the gearbox/motor mount bracket broken off for which Hornby should be attributed some blame due poor design, however, the dishonest act of one assembly line worker is not really Hornby's responsibility. If a model is not built to spec then that is the fault of the assembler, assuming the parts and assembly directions were correct.

The T9 is a delicate fragile locomotive and a real disappointment to me for what was a relatively expensive model.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

cobach47 wrote:... this is a total bodge by hornby which needs to be highlighted in the model railway press
You can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that this was done in the factory? That's quite a stretch.

Better and simpler to go to the retailer - as ever they are responsible if the goods were not of merchantable quality - and if no satisfaction can be obtained there, then Hornby.
memyselfand1

Post by memyselfand1 »

Further to my earlier comments about my LMS T9 being a great runner, it no longer is. a strange humming comes from it, when give a push it may take off and halt shortly after, or cause a grinding noise from the motor area. I've tried two decoders, thinking it may have been a CV. Alas, ''twas not. The body is fixed to the motor block with the black putty, making getting it off and on slightly worrying.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Sounds like the motor/gearbox mazak casing has broken (I doubt if broken if spares would be available). There is a lot of that black mastic sealant inside the body. The chassis is a tight fit in the body. Getting the chassis back inside the body is a Chinese puzzle. Two of my four T9 locomotives had self destructed last time I checked. Most likely the other two have since destroyed themselves. I would never purchase another T9.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

There is a spare gearbox / motor mount available now as it is quite a common issue, fixed 10 so far believe the replacement is a lost wax brass casting. Does require a bit of cleaning up, available from peters spares.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
cobach47

Post by cobach47 »

i am at the moment repairing the broken chassis on a T9 - after re-fixing the front extension and repairing the rear motor mount - i gave up trying to repair the motor retainer - so i made up a strap in brass to secure the motor - i now have the chassis running, but something was binding which turned out to be the chassis being slightly banana shaped which makes the coupling rods jam, i used a caliper to check the wheelbase and there is a 20 thou difference side to side - so after all my efforts the chassis is scrap ! i now have to pass on the bad news to my best mate !
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Is there a list of the loco numbers affected ?
I have R2831 30726 late crest 6 wheel tender and not very good factory weathering. I've had the loco just over 2 years and up until today It's had very little use.
I've had her running this morning and all seems well, except she's a little noisier than my other recently purchased team locos like the Hornby 700 and Bachmann C class.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid, It's just a slight hum from the motor, I've no plans to start removing the body, I think I'll just wait and see.

Ken
sparkhill

Post by sparkhill »

A little bit off topic but it was the Hornby T9 that put me off super detailed locomotives for life :roll: :D
Regards
Nobby
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I can understand that. When Hornby moved to sourcing their product from Sanda Kan in China, the first half dozen years introductions - and the T9 falls into that group - were much better than anything previous from Hornby, but not quite the complete article. A good example from what I have purchased, the very nice looking A3 and A4 pacifics introduced around 2004 needed some careful work to make them all they should be in my opinion. I have glued the motors in, and completely replaced the wiring to make a good job of the mechanism; modified aspects of the exterior appearance as required and cemented back into place weakly attached detail as it fell off. Worthwhile from my perspective, as these are essential locos for East Coast, and the potential is all there because the basic body shape rendition is stunning. I'd much rather not have had to fiddle about with them to make them everything I wanted, but there it is.

However, with the all-new Britannia in 2006 Hornby really hit their stride with Sanda Kan. You don't see many complaints about these, because they are very good; and other than the 'design clever' episode of a few products with reduced/less refined detail around 2012 as they moved on from Sanda Kan to new suppliers, this standard has been maintained on Hornby's all new steam toolings that I have sampled.

And thus finally to the point (!) I never had a RTR 4-4-0 before Hornby's D16/3 released last year; this is a good model for looks, and mechanism performance is outstanding for a loco drive 4-4-0 without traction tyres. (Similar praise applies to their B1, B17, J15, J50, K1, L1, O1.) I see a 700 class 0-6-0 'black motor' running on a friend's layout pretty regularly, sister class to the T9 of course, and just as good for appearance and running as the J15 0-6-0 I have. After the bumpy start they have finally got there (we just have to hope they hold up in business terms).Tempted?
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

With a recent "non-runner" bargain purchase from a well known dealer, my assumptions proved correct. The set in question is the "1938 Suburban" train pack with a T9 "greyhound". As the other two greyhounds in the previous sets purchased new also arrived as non-runners (paid full retail for those sets), this latest set was purchased primarily for the additional coaches and my feelings were if I was unable to get the locomotive operational I would strip it out as a non-powered dummy for doubleheading purposes.

The train pack arrived this morning and it was indeed a brand new pack with the coaches still factory wrapped. The locomotive alas had suffered the inevitable mazak rot as I suspected when purchasing as the reason for it being sold as a non-runner. When I disassembled it the rear motor mount had disintegrated and the gear box cover mount remained up inside the body with the motor. Unlike my other versions this locomotive has not only the gear cover broken from the main casting but also the casting is 'rusting' away with numerous small pieces evident.

Rather than outlay further money and time on the model I simply glued the motor onto the chassis and then glued the disintegrating cover over the idler gears. The chassis was then reinserted. Initial running saw the locomotive move a few inches in either direction and then lock up until the opposite direction was chosen. After a little coaxing the loco spluttered into life and eventually settled down and was then run for about forty five minutes with no issue.

I know that while now operational, the drive is really time limited and eventually will succumb to the chemistry going on in the castings in the model. The photograph shows the disintegrated rear motor mount and the small pieces are part of the disintegrating idler gear mount cover. I am not bemoaning the fault with the drive as in reality I was expecting a broken gear cover but what I was not anticipating was the totally disintegrated motor mount plus the terminal affliction affecting the gear cover.
Attachments
Mazak rot
Mazak rot
t9a.JPG (45.34 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Has Hornby made an announcement about these models at all?