My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Marcus

Re: My first model railway build.

Post by Marcus »

heda wrote:Hi Marcus

My vote would be for grass inclines, but I prefer countryside rather than brickwork. It might be an idea to print off some brick paper, stick it on to card and put it in place, see how it looks to you.

You've done a grand job on the overgrown yard, it really looks the business.

Dave
Hi. I will cut some walls out and place along incline and see how it looks. :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Another vote here for grassy slopes - with profuse weeds entwined in the grass using Woodlands Scenics Foliage F51 and F52.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

ParkeNd wrote:Another vote here for grassy slopes - with profuse weeds entwined in the grass using Woodlands Scenics Foliage F51 and F52.
I have uploaded a picture of what I decided BUT most of this wall will disappear into trees and foliage with the other side being completely grass banking. :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D Morning. I have started work on the incline, I have used red brick walling on the wall facing the yard/ factory with the intensional of far side blending into a nice green grassy bank with trees. I'm not sure whether to put a small wall on opposite side or,what I'm favouring, a mesh fence that I'm making. Looking forward to getting to work with scenery work on this incline. :D :D really enjoying this build so far~ happy days :D
Attachments
Happy with my first go at building an incline.
Happy with my first go at building an incline.
image.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
Work started on incline, most of the will blend into grassy heavy foliage.
Work started on incline, most of the will blend into grassy heavy foliage.
image.jpg (139.75 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D Hi all.
Just another top down view of progress so far. All in all I'm happy with effort. :D
Attachments
Learning lots on this half of layout, I'll feel more confident when it comes to second part.
Learning lots on this half of layout, I'll feel more confident when it comes to second part.
image.jpg (135.33 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D :D well, moved Marcroft junction into its new home yesterday, wife's happy now...Lol. Insulated, laid carpet, electrics etc so I little bit of home in the back garden. I think I have done enough to the goods yard scenery wise, I think I'm starting to get a tad over zealous. I will now over next few days start to build second board and decide how and what direction that part of layout will go. A mainline station will definitely be on the cards. Better go brush my teeth ready for trip to our local for a bar meal... :D :D
Attachments
Marcroft junction in its new home.
Marcroft junction in its new home.
image.jpg (138.14 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Must stop with adding scenery...lol
Must stop with adding scenery...lol
image.jpg (224.22 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D hi guys. Just a few more pictures of work carried out today. I decided to take today off and spent a few happy hours in the shed. Built the metcalfe signal box, fitted LEDs and placed into position. I carried out a little more work on the scenery, happy with how that came out. My next big project will be the small town on the upper level, no track but just as important as rest of layout. Well, I'm going to try and get all this glue of my fingers and get a bite to eat, once you start getting involved in your build you can easily forget what time it is. See you again soon.
Attachments
Next will be the small town on upper level.
Next will be the small town on upper level.
image.jpg (142.33 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Happy with how's it's looking.
Happy with how's it's looking.
image.jpg (202.27 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
A little more of scenery completed
A little more of scenery completed
image.jpg (214.26 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
That's the signal box built and placed into position.
That's the signal box built and placed into position.
image.jpg (230.38 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

That looks first rate Marcus. You should be proud of your work.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

ParkeNd wrote:That looks first rate Marcus. You should be proud of your work.
Coming from the maestro of N-gauge scenery, that's high praise indeed, with which I enthusiastically agree!
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Marcus, you must have hours of free time to lavish all this time on the layout. :mrgreen:

The layout is looking superb and your attention to detail with the scenery is terrific. What are your plans for the town area? More Metcalfe buildings?

Keep up the great work.

Paul
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

ParkeNd wrote:That looks first rate Marcus. You should be proud of your work.
I have to admit that once I had laid the track, I wasn't looking forward to the scenery because having never done anything like this before, wasn't to confident I could produce work to a high enough standard. Thx for your kind words, coming from more experienced builders like yourself is very high praise indeed. :D :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

carnehan wrote:Marcus, you must have hours of free time to lavish all this time on the layout. :mrgreen:

The layout is looking superb and your attention to detail with the scenery is terrific. What are your plans for the town area? More Metcalfe buildings?

Keep up the great work.

Paul
Working for myself does give me the luxury of taking time off when I want to. The upper level town area will be consisting of low relief houses and full houses, pub and shop in the central area. I may incorporate a church in the top right corner purely because I like the metcalfe model. All my buildings so far have been metcalfe as I think these are the best, cardboard wise, out there. Street lighting will be incorporated as with the buildings etc. thx for your kind comments, I am getting loads of enjoyment from this build. :)
ryanlad

Post by ryanlad »

very nice layout :D
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Marcus,

I concur with the others, impressive work and a first build to boot.

Once you get used to it N is a great scale to model in, isn't it?

Peter
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D hi guys. Just thought I'd have a quick go at making some small rock outcrops. Found an old tube of filler this morning and had a go, Don't think it looks to bad, may try something larger on another part of layout. Hoping to wire yard lights up this weekend and try a night shot. :D
Attachments
Had ago at a small rocky outcrop. Looks ok.
Had ago at a small rocky outcrop. Looks ok.
image.jpg (204.13 KiB) Viewed 2131 times