Hornby P2 #2001 "C0ck of the North"

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Re: Hornby P2 #2001 "C**k of the North"

Post by Bigmet »

Unfortunately, just as with any film or televised image, any rotary or cyclic motion is not correctly represented because of the sampling effect of the individual frames that our brain puts back together for the impression of continuous vision. Will make it very hard to determine if it is actually slipping while running.

Fact is, in model railway the traction of metal wheel on metal track is determined principally by the weight on the driven wheels. It really doesn't matter how many driven wheels there are in contact with the track, unlike on the real thing. A good example is the well known Hornby Dublo Stanier 2-8-0 model, which will outpull the current Hornby model by some margin. The old H-D model has a cast metal body and is much heavier as a result. It is also functionally a 2-4-0, only the outside end coupled wheels are flanged and in contact with the track; unlike the current Hornby which is all flanged, with all driven wheels in contact with the rail.

It's all about weight in short, and it is unlikely that Hornby have made the P2 as heavy as it could be. This is pretty general across the RTR ranges with larger locos: very few as heavy as they need to be. (Try the Bachmann 9F or Hornby Britannia as examples of the job done right, I believe these are comfortably the heaviest steam models in their respective maker's ranges.) Adding weight yourself is the answer, and a prototype like the P2 makes it easy. There's a roomy boiler and smokebox, and because the firebox is behind the coupled wheelbase it is easy to get the resulting much heavier loco balanced in the middle of the coupled wheelbase for optimum tractive results. Gresley Was Right in model railway too...
DonnyRailMan

Re: Hornby P2 #2001 "C0ck of the North"

Post by DonnyRailMan »

How many have the P2 on pre-order anyone ?.
6C

Re: Hornby P2 #2001 "C**k of the North"

Post by 6C »

Old Man Phil wrote:and were very successful.
Shorely, shome mistake - gorgeous they were - successful they definitely were not - the Aberdeen roads most successful locos were the A4s cascaded down in the 1960s and the EE Class 4 (40)s had a good reputation on this route despite (or because of) - their massive 1Co-Co1 articulated bogies and heavy (133 tons) weight.

P2 - a glorious failure in service - some footplate-men (not all) preferred the rebuilds... :shock:

Trying to find an excuse for one on my proposed NBR branch line....
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
DonnyRailMan

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Is it here yet LOL , I am getting tired of the Hornby wait how many due dates have they given.
We keep getting so-called dates to hit the shop of July, August more chance it being them dates
in 2015. I am still waiting for the Bittern double tender from 2012.
garth45

Post by garth45 »

According to this months Railway modeller in an article about Hornby it should be in the shops pretty soon .If that helps. I don't think it mentioned which version though as there are two I believe the detailed one and the Railroad one . My main interest is the K1 . :)
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

DonnyRailMan wrote:How many have the P2 on pre-order anyone ?.
I did have... got fed up with waiting and cancelled.
Pete.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Would love to have one, but the thing that's worrying me is, will they build enough to satisfy demand............probably not. :(

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

garth45 wrote:I don't think it mentioned which version though as there are two I believe the detailed one and the Railroad one .
My money's on the expensive detailed version being out first.
DonnyRailMan

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Phipps wrote:
garth45 wrote:I don't think it mentioned which version though as there are two I believe the detailed one and the Railroad one .
My money's on the expensive detailed version being out first.

I hope you are right Phipps '''
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

I would be inclined to agree, but I like the very basic versions & happy enough to add my own detailing to the loco later.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

DonnyRailMan wrote:How many have the P2 on pre-order anyone ?.

I have it on Pre order from hattons ,r3207 the etched plates version for £99 ,getting fed up of waiting as well ,asked hattons today about delivery and the latest is 12th sept ,,,,,mjb
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

I would like to put money one the plates not being etched :) after previous experience from Hornby's Duke of Gloucester.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

mattmay05 wrote:I would like to put money one the plates not being etched :) after previous experience from Hornby's Duke of Gloucester.
Quite-my RR is disappointing.I looked at mine recently & the flippin nameplate on the nearside(leftside facing) is actually sloped :roll:
I'm not too impressed now that I notice it.
DonnyRailMan

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Must admit that I am looking forward to the 20 wheeled P2 beast arriving. As i plan it to be my last
addition to my collection. I would only add the A4 style P2 version if that ever happened.

D.R.M.
D0260

Post by D0260 »

Now said to be due for delivery in Septemeber 2014 , (give or a take a year based on experience)