The 00 6'x4' trackplans thread

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
kebang

Re: The 00 6'x4' trackplans thread

Post by kebang »

We seem to have lost lots of images. I'm reposting this one. It was originally inspired by Freezer's 'small & simple'. The revloop has been enlarged to enable it to be used as a storage loop if needed. The points coming of the loop can be omitted if the 2 sidings are not needed.
Min rad is 2nd. deg so most rolling stock should cope easily.
All points are within easy reach & can be operated manually.
This is peco setrack with the addition of 2x 2.15in straight pieces.

The layout size is 6ft 6in x 3ft 6in
78x42 OB+loop.png
78x42 OB+loop.png (72.27 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Zoso

Post by Zoso »

I really like the look of that one!
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks Zoso. If your rolling stock can cope with 1st. deg curves then this can be reduced to 6ft x 3ft. Emmetman had also submitted similar layouts.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

kebang wrote: Emmetman had also submitted similar layouts.
There was more than one thread discussing what could be done with a 6x4 space (most often, but not always, best with the operator inside)

The Photobucket changes have mucked that up, unfortunately.
My most recent attempt also tried to get rid of the tight radius setrack points.
R3 R4 curves except for return loop.
64electro1.jpg
64electro.jpg
[edit] The red diamond is a single slip, set up to work as a very compact scissors crossover.
Oval with passing loop can run without fouling out and back operation.

One shown without top station for clarity.
If the lower return loop is replaced with a fiddle yard there would be more room for an inside operating area.

Back to Hornby/Peco setrack points and going for freight/mineral as the main theme, unless modelled as a preserved line.
mineral1.jpg
I suspect I'd build in the continuous run option, (green) but mostly not use it and operate it as a point-to-point line (with an extra siding!)

Chris
Last edited by Emettman on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I like that last plan, Chris! Short mineral traffic is best suited to layouts this size as the short wagons and locomotives helps under-emphasise the small size of the layout and tight radii. It just doesn't work with the bigger stuff, despite Hornby's suggestions to the contrary. The lower section in blue could be modelled as a dockside area with some inset track, and a scrap wagon or other convenient obstacle placed on the continuous link unless you needed to use it.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

pete12345 wrote: The lower section in blue could be modelled as a dockside area with some inset track, and a scrap wagon or other convenient obstacle placed on the continuous link unless you needed to use it.
Exactly what I intended, with the dock edge at the inside, and the oval "blocked" unless wanted.
The steep diamond crossing is available from Atlas.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
whistlehead

Post by whistlehead »

Oh hello, this thread's still kicking about! I'll have a dig around and see if I can uncover the lost images, though I suspect they may be on a PC I replaced a while back.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I dont think a thread like this will go quiet as the 6'X4' is a rather handy size for 00 gauge modellers, especially useful for building something which you can bring with you if you need to move house!