Kernow D600 Warship

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
D605Eagle

Re: Kernow-Dapol D600 Warship

Post by D605Eagle »

This is getting close now. Livery samples have been delivered. These look to me to really capture the handsome looks of the prototype.
clicky
End2end

Post by End2end »

I'm not big into diesels but that's a very fine looking model nonetheless. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hmmm, another of these lovely "built in Glasgow but didn't run here" models, could I justify one running "on test from Queens Park Works" :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bigmet

Re: Kernow D600 Warship

Post by Bigmet »

This thread title and location is well out of date since the 'divorce', well documented here.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=43955
Kernow has been dealing direct with a Chinese manufacturer (or perhaps more than one?) since to produce its own brand products.
End2end

Post by End2end »

So no more flacid member of a coupling on the models? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Not a clue. Haven't really followed the owner comments on the Kernow Bulleid diesel protoypes, but the initial reception was very favourable.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I managed to procure one of Kernow's Bulleid diesels when they had a sale of orders that had not been paid for. I wasn't originally going to buy one but the opportunity arose so I just "pressed the buy button". The build quality is very good indeed and there are no "saggy bits" at all. As with the Bulleid diesel, the tooling for the forthcoming D600 warship is owned by Kernow models. I would therefore assume that they have specified what they want to the manufacturer and designed it themselves without any specific manufacturers pattern way of doing standard items such as couplings etc. If the D600 warship is manufactured by the same factory and in the same way as the Bulleid diesel then we can look forward to a spectacularly nice model which runs beautifully and looks the dog's dangly bits as well.
I have just ordered and paid for D600 "Active" in BR Blue, so hopefully when it eventually arrives I will be able to confirm what it is like.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I have D603 Cossack on order. I'm seriously tempted to get a headcode box fitted one to go with it. I would have preferred Bulldog in blue with small yellows, but oddly Kernow didn't opt to do that livery. If they sell well like the Bullied's have I expect they will cover that livery in a further run.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Cinders - you shall have your Bulldog! - Received an email from Kernow today saying:

"Now for the new announcement... we have listened!

In response to customer demand we are pleased to announce an additional version has been commissioned and is now available to pre-order! D602 Bulldog was the only other D600 to be painted in BR Blue, with small yellow warning panels. Pre-order price is £169.99 when paying in full immediately and £179.99 if waiting until the model arrives."
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

An old friend came by yesterday, and was hopeful - based on Kernow's statements - that these models will be through manufacturing before Chinese new year in the first week of February, so that if shipped promptly they should arrive sometime in early Q2 2019. (He's only been waiting since they were first announced in 2010. I had to console him by showing off Heljan's excellent EE type 2 'Baby Deltic' and NBL type 1 (classes 23 and 16) in operation; he lived in North London while these were running so remembers them well.)

The upside in the delay is the very positive reception Kernow's Bulleid diesels have received, with includes some neat innovation to deal with the very long bogie frames which effectively 'float' independent of the gear tower and wheelsets. Sadly I don't know anyone who has purchased as I would like a look at this feature. (Well, more than a look, given half a chance I would have it in pieces.)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Sounds interesting. I must say I've never had an issue with Bachmann Peaks or 40's which have effectively the same bogies.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

D605Eagle wrote:Sounds interesting. I must say I've never had an issue with Bachmann Peaks or 40's which have effectively the same bogies.
No neither have I and they are good runners too. However Bigmet is correct in the description of the Kernow "floating" bogie in so much as the long 1Co-Co1 bogie on the Kernow Bulleid diesel not only has a lot of play on the front carrying wheel, the main three powered wheels also pivot both laterally and vertically within the pivoting main bogie frame which allows for full movement of the loco on fairly tight curves. It's a very clever and well thought out design and makes for a loco which runs incredibly smoothly without stalling. (Well it hasn't stalled on my line yet anyway).
Having said that of course the D600 warships are A1A A1A so I doubt we will see anything like that on those, but if the build quality is anything like the Bulleid diesel, we really are in for a treat!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

First two versions available at the end of February. We'll have to wait until after the Chinese new year for the next versions. Just my luck, my pre ordered one is not with the first batch. Longest gestation period for a model every? By my reckoning its 11 years!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:... Longest gestation period for a model ever? By my reckoning its 11 years!
My predictive powers were on it early, second post in this thread back in 2010...
Bigmet wrote:I hope you are not holding your breath. Dapol have yet to produce anything of the list of powered OO on their books. The class 22 was originally announced in March 2008 as well underway (misleading link deleted) due in 2009, then slid back to first half 2010, and is now a first half 2011 release. Ahead of that they have the Beattie well tank to get out, due this autumn. If they have the D600s out by autumn 2011 that will represent a considerable acceleration over current progress...
And as we all know, Kernow departed from Dapol some years back, and started again with a factory they engaged with directly to get their own products out. (To good effect, their Bulleid prototype diesels have got the top spot for modern traction in the awards on RMweb.)

It would be a good move to ask the moderators to close this thread, and have an all new one correctly titled in 'other manufacturers'? Tell you what. I'll start on that second item. 'Kernow Models D600 NBL A1A A1A Warships'.

Moved by Admin from Dapol section
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The first two versions are reportedly afloat on their way to Southampton Docks, so about five or six weeks away from going on sale if the process runs smoothly.