00 scale lorries

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: 00 scale lorries

Post by 0121modeller »

Jim S-W wrote:
Question is, what to do with the chassis?

Dismantle them, salvage wheels / axles / tyres, anything thats a separate detatchable moulding (exhaust stacks & wing mirrors are very usefull)

But as for the "chassis".... ?... No, I've a few large 1/87 put to one side that may suit a future project, but the definate underscale ones go out to scrap.

OR, i have seen "scrapyard diorama's" on ebay, Once its stripped down to a bare chassis the original under/over scale is bearly noticable within a scrapyard scene , the trick is to deflect attention to other features of the diorama which are more apealing / interesting to the eye.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Picked up the Oxford Diecast VW camper at the weekend - this is how it looks out of the box and after a quick spray of matt varnish. One nice little feature is that its screwed together and not riveted.

Behind it is the Carama Camper (I assume the oxford one is the right size but I havent checked it yet.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

One thats been OMWB for a while is this

Base toys chassis and modified flat bet with a RTI dodge cab. I must say I was very impressed with the service from RTI and will definately use more of their stuff in the future.

Cheers

Jim
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

Heres some of my started projects on the backburner.
For some reason these photo's have come out small, :? ... i found by clicking on image will show you a bigger image :D

Scania tipper converted from cararama 1:80 scale cement mixer lorry.

Another tipper needing further modifications, unsure of maker : joy city / mondo motors ? 1:80 scale i think
How it originally looked

Various VW's different makes & scale size, the two green beetles are both supposed to be 1:72 carama's.... :?

Heres the dear old VW camper OHW 740F i used to own on a trip to chislehurst caves in north kent in 1994, I really miss her. (the vw camper i mean, girl in photo is my wife)

The Bimingham Mail transit van I used to drive before being made redundant, cararama with self made waterslide transfers applied
Scratchbuilt sideloader
Last edited by 0121modeller on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
0121modeller

Post by 0121modeller »

A couple more shots;

Salvaged spares from damaged & under scale vehicles, worth keeping for a project in scratchbuilding, Exhaust stacks , steering wheels & wing mirrors are very usefull. The bag in front of this contains miniture orange beacons you see on tipper lorry's & earthmovers, etc.
The large collection of assorted tyres are ideal for a tyre retailer / garage diorama.

The true scale size of these is questionable < they're all meant to be 1:72 not sure of the split screen camper , IMO it looks underscale compared to other cararamas vehicles seen alongside :?

Heres a die-cast Lesney / Matchbox i re-painted to look similar to the real one i used to own, its supposed to be 1:64 scale, but i think it'll look okay next to most cararama 1:72

Dave.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Been building lorries again!

This is built from a Doug Roseman engineering kit and despite it being as old as the ark its a superb little kit! Really enjoyed putting this one together!

Cheers

Jim
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Yeah, that looks a beauty of a kit Jim; the detail on the seats is a wonder. I can just imagine how many packed lunches and maps slipped off the centre bit into the passenger footwell during a right hander:D .

Dave. Nice to see your old camper there. The very earliest of bays!!!. I got an F regger when I was 18; it was OUG 840F....pretty close eh?
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

The Efsi Commer walk-thru van looks excellent. Husky (Corgi range that later became Corgi Juniors) also made this van in the 60's , their version had sliding doors.
Matchbox did a Dodge Commando truck in the 80's, I think the cab looks about right for 00 guage.

Ken.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi Ken

The corgi commer is a fair bit smaller than the EFSI one. These vans would be pretty old for my era but you could well imagine a old one heading towards Birmingham Markets. If they were more common I would certainly do another one.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Been painting!

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Aside from fitting a driver the ERF B series is now done.

Also took some more pictures while I was outside.

There is more on my site for those interested

click here

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi all

turned my attention back the the mobile shop from Corgi - This shows work so far along with where I made the cuts to reduce the width

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Also OMWB is a Mk1 transit bus from John Day Models. A simple enough kit - just 3 parts but lets just say its a bit erm... 'scruffy'

Should be an interesting one this one

Cheers

Jim
Paul James

Post by Paul James »

I have followed your 1:76 models for several months now and am very impressed with the skill and ingenuity of your conversions Jim. I have only just joined the forum as I felt compelled to let you know. I look forward to seeing the finished results of both the Transit Minibus and the Mercedes 'mobile shop.'
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

A corgi based ford cargo becomes the first thing off my work bench in 2011 - Heres a couple of piccies

Cheers

Jim