Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Post by luckymucklebackit »

The Allenshaw Inglenook

When I abandoned the idea of the "mighty morphin Inglenook" to go for a conventional locomotive depot, I still had the desire to build myself an Inglenook, but the question was - where to put it. The answer was to put it above the fiddle yard, but the standard inglenook would cover the whole fiddle yard and I want an open area to lift off and replace stock and locomotives.
After some thought I came up with the idea of a bridge over the Northbridge Western throat and putting the headshunt on the bridge, this does have prototypical provenance - the ex LNER branch from Shettleston to Hamilton had been closed in 1955, but a section near Peacock Cross in Hamilton had been retained to provide a freight service into Allenshaw Foundry, and as you can see from the map the line had been truncated just beyond the bridge, the link line comes up from the Caledonian line which passes under the bridge. The track layout is almost a classic Inglenook
Allenshaw Inglenook.JPG
Here is a couple of photographs of the arrangement, firstly a loco shunting mineral wagons on a snowy afternoon.

A Glasgow to Hamilton DMU passes under the bridge

Here is how I envisage the yard will fit on the existing layout, I ordered one of the excellent bowstring girder bridges which will form the main span, unfortunately it is not quite long enough to completely cross the throat so I will need a couple of arched bridges to cross the goods lines and the Gateside line
Allenshaw Inglenook Diagram.jpg
It shouldn't be an expensive project as it will mainly use track and materials left over from previous projects, just need one point and the bridge which is on order from Ebay.

Progress reports to follow

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

What a fantastic snowy photo - what do you envisage working it (static or otherwise) - J36, Jumbo or what?
luckymucklebackit

Ex-Pat wrote:What a fantastic snowy photo - what do you envisage working it (static or otherwise) - J36, Jumbo or what?
Initially it will be one of the two J72s I have, but I also could use the J36 once it comes along :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Looking forward to this one Jim, great idea!

'A layout is never finished' springs to mind :wink:

Can we see the kit when it arrives?

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

Will do Jim - Don't hold your breath though as I only have tonight in the loft then I will be away for much of the next two weeks on business, flying to Oslo on Monday will be there until Friday, then the following week I am in Denmark for three days, that combined with being at the caravan at the weekends will keep me away from the layout (its a hard life :lol: )

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

Not a lot of real progress last night, I made up a couple of templates for the sides of the shorter bridges over the Gateside Line and the Goods Lines, quite tight but everything fits. I will now use these to make up a more solid timber frame and then overlay that with card. I am also thinking that I could make this project modular, so that part of it fits in the main layout but could also be removed and slotted into another frame as a small portable (exhibition?) layout. Loads of ideas swirling around - will see how things develop (or not). :lol:

Cheers

Jim
luckymucklebackit

Just back from a nice weekend at the Caravan and as a bonus there was a railway exhibition in the nearby town of Troon, layouts weren't bad, but there was not much 00 gauge. There was however a couple of good traders and I picked up two Peco Streamline points for the inglenook project for £7, also picked up a really nice Walthers kit for a travelling crane,

Image (stock photo)

The going rate for one of these on Ebay is about £25 plus postage so having paid £15 for this I got a bargain. Bought some ballast and a couple of other items which I will reveal later 8) When I got home the bridge kit had been delivered too, pity I am off to Norway in the morning or it would have been a productive week.

Cheers

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

You certainly got some bargains there Jim.

Take the kit with you :lol:

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

The 15:10 to Dundee waits for the road with 61026 "Ourebi" at the head

Lets see if anyone bites :D

Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

I'm green with envy Jim, but not hungry enough to bite!
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

It wouldn't be the southern coach would it Jim?

He know he's wrong as he walks away whistling!!

Jim :oops:
luckymucklebackit

railwayjim wrote:It wouldn't be the southern coach would it Jim?

He know he's wrong as he walks away whistling!!

Jim :oops:
It would :D But it is quite prototypical. Bought the coach yesterday as a nice conversation piece. When BR started making the 4-CEP and 4-BEP units they requisitioned Mk1 coaches from the Scottish Region for conversion. In their place Bulleid coaches were sent north, most were painted maroon before transfer but some went north still in Green livery. Something a wee bit different!

Jim
luckymucklebackit

So three weeks of inactivity due to travelling, being at the caravan and that horror of horrors - working in the garden. We had a new fence installed and this had to be painted, Ronseal Medium Oak looks close to the colour of the Forth Bridge and it felt like I was painting it!

Talking of bridges, I cut out the parts for the girder bridge and tagged them together to see how it looked, very happy with the basic structure, but it is not quite how I want it. The bridge that I am wanting to copy is the one which passed over the Glasgow to Airdrie line at Parkhead,
prototype bridge.JPG
The structure of this bridge is a bit different to the model in that the deck is much more substantial, so I plan to use the supplied deck as a base and build up to the track level probably about 10-15mm. This will make the supplied crossmembers too low so they will need to go above the side girders as per prototype (just as well as I snapped one of the supplied ones in my heavy handed attempt to plug the bits together)
IMG_20180605_195441 (1280x960).jpg
I also need to fabricate a fence as this bridge clearly has a guard fence on each side
IMG_20180605_195453 (1280x960).jpg
Little bonus from the Hattons Sale, D2581 was a Scottish Loco all its career, based at Thornton Junction and Scrapped at Campbells yard in Airdrie, so Northbridge has borrowed it"
IMG_20180605_193206 (1280x960).jpg
Cheers everyone

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

The bridge you've bought Jim, is not a million miles away from the one you've pictured,
I think once you've done some fettling, it should be a pretty close match.

Jim.

ps. Like those shunters, Heljan I think, plenty of cab detail to be seen through
the large cab windows.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That's looking good, and a new loco, things are looking up on the G&N.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs