Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Post by Dad-1 »

Looks like your CRT monitor is happy enough in the loft Jim.
Mine gives me all sorts of different colour mixes - the humidity
I think, waiting for it to give up !!

Keep working away - you must be running out of space now.

Geoff T.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Dad-1 wrote:Looks like your CRT monitor is happy enough in the loft Jim.
Mine gives me all sorts of different colour mixes - the humidity
I think, waiting for it to give up !!

Keep working away - you must be running out of space now.

Geoff T.
Hi Geoff - That old monitor and the PC that went with it bit the dust a good while ago, although while it was there (about eight years) it worked fine. As for running out of space - yes you are right, the options for expansion are diminishing, any potential extension would need to go under or over the rest of the layout, with the usual issues that come with that. I would love to put some additional stock storage in the form of hidden sidings under Gateside, but it is just to difficult, one of those jobs that should have been done first.

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks JIm, I'll reply to your email through the Forum.

What was "ordinary file paper" in 1979? - I haven't a clue!

Thinking further about it, would cigarette papers do the job I wonder - they're certainly thin, and from "roll-ups" that I've seen they could certainly give that wizened look?
luckymucklebackit

Ex-Pat wrote:Thanks JIm, I'll reply to your email through the Forum.

What was "ordinary file paper" in 1979? - I haven't a clue!

Thinking further about it, would cigarette papers do the job I wonder - they're certainly thin, and from "roll-ups" that I've seen they could certainly give that wizened look?
Now there is an idea - pity I quit smoking in 1994 :D Mind you they don't cost much, think they sell them in he local pound shop. I was thinking of the old duplicate books (were they "champion" brand or something like that), I may have one stuck in a box at the back of the loft - will have a look.

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
End2end

Post by End2end »

I've got loads of full green rizla packets if you need them.
They are too thick to smoke for me.
Thanks
End2(cough cough splutter)end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
luckymucklebackit

End2end wrote:I've got loads of full green rizla packets if you need them.
They are too thick to smoke for me.
Thanks
End2(cough cough splutter)end
Ha! Ha! thanks for the offer End to End - I have a source closer to home, I could also get some funny smelly tobacco to put in it if I wanted :D :D Not I hasten to add that I would indulge in that sort of thing!

Jim
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hi all - looking for a bit of advice on the water column. The one I am using for the depot is the Peco offering (cheap and cheerful), but I have lost the plastic tube that is the "bag", I don't think that this is a great loss as it is too rigid to look like the leather trunking that is used on the prototype. Has anyone tried to replicate a leather bag and what materials have you used. Any help appreciated.
Jim
I used black heatshrink sleeving, simply heat and squish flat to desired shape as it cools, pics in Lumsdonia
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
luckymucklebackit

TimberSurf wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:Hi all - looking for a bit of advice on the water column. The one I am using for the depot is the Peco offering (cheap and cheerful), but I have lost the plastic tube that is the "bag", I don't think that this is a great loss as it is too rigid to look like the leather trunking that is used on the prototype. Has anyone tried to replicate a leather bag and what materials have you used. Any help appreciated.
Jim
I used black heatshrink sleeving, simply heat and squish flat to desired shape as it cools, pics in Lumsdonia
Thanks Timbersurf - another good solution, will try out both in due course, :D

Jim
luckymucklebackit

Nearly there!

Added some further detail to the water tank by adding a platform/walkway so that the ladder access now comes up the side of the building and through a hatch, the another ladder from the platform to the top of the tank. Platform base is chequerplate plasticard with some reinforcement and plaststrut girders. I substituted ladders from Ratio signal kits in place of the rather crude ones that come with the kit

The water pipe which on the kit is from the centre of the underside of the tank is now routed from the corner of the tank down the side of the building, I used parts from the Knightwing pipework set to route the pipe

General view of the (nearly) completed depot

Another wee detail for the front of the building - the rack was built from bits of the disused ladders from the water tank kit plus a couple of bits of sprue from that kit, lamps are springside and on the top shelf are fire irons that came with a loco.

General views of the nearly completed project

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

It looks superb Jim, what a transformation from a plain board. Surprising how
adding a small board can create a useful scenic addition to a layout.

Water tower looks the business now. Top marks Jim.

Jim.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The point needs chopping off those spare wheels, not sure how you get safely up to the water tower walkway, is the ladder "round the back" and unseen? :lol:
Suitably grimey as usual, top job Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

TimberSurf wrote: not sure how you get safely up to the water tower walkway, is the ladder "round the back" and unseen?
Looks to me like the ladder is front right, with a hatchway above it?

Great job Jim.
luckymucklebackit

Thanks everyone, but first some sports news just in..and in the observation stakes it is Ex-Pat 1 - Timbersurf 0!! :D

The ladder is indeed front right, with a hatchway above, I will do a hatch cover as a finishing touch. I take your point about the axles though Timbersurf - will remove the points

Trying some light in the depot, it actually looked much better with the naked eye than through the camera

Jim
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Daum! Missed the hatch, thought the black thing was a drain pipe! :oops:
Glad you got my other point! :lol:
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Jim, the picture looking inside the shed is very atmospheric,
it's almost real. I can almost smell it :wink:

Jim.