Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post by GeraldH »

That's some great architectural modelling. Looking forward to seeing it all completed.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks GeraldH - further progress can be seen at: https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 15#p700415
Ex-Pat

Re: Hawick - Latest progress Report

Post by Ex-Pat »

An update on site preparation is now at: https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 48#p700748
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi Ex-Pat. I have PMd you.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Ex-Pat

Re: Shed Doors fabricated

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks glencairn - PM responded to.

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 81#p700881 covers the fabrication of the shed doors.

I'm currently working on painting the shed roof, with a first ever foray into dry-brushing - certainly enlightening.
Ex-Pat

Re: Above shed rear door detail

Post by Ex-Pat »

A small update is now at: https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 01#p701201

Also I finally got round my problems in obtaining suitable diameter Evergreen rods in Ireland by using copper-cored wire, and am pleased it kept reasonably straight. Here it is as the one (central, and therefore a more substantial diameter than 1mm) downpipe, together with yet another butchered lamp. The rectangular board to the right of the lamp was some sort of notice, it has 6 lines of writing but I’ve been unable to magnify a photo sufficiently to show what it actually says. Very frustrating!
IMG_2293.JPG
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Have you never finished that yet? (Says the man who has not yet started anything :D )

Seriously Ex-Pat - looking good!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Re: Painting Shed Roof

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Jim – looking forward to your start!

And so, on to painting the roof.

I have no colour photo of Hawick’s shed roof and could only go by this photo of a goods shed at Perth, and which brings out the individual corrugated sheeting strips very well, with renewals/repairs over the years being quite apparent.
My initial attempt is here for comparison purposes, but I wasn’t too happy with it, feeling it wasn’t dark enough.
My initial attempt is here for comparison purposes, but I wasn’t too happy with it, feeling it wasn’t dark enough.
My further trials and tribulations are covered in my Workbench thread at: https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 73#p701273
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

A lot has happened since I last posted – albeit not construction-wise – quite the opposite in fact. The previously mentioned anticipated move to a bungalow came to fruition with an (international!) move to Newry 10 days before Christmas.

The layout had been gradually “de-legged” over a period of weeks since October and all the boards are now stored in a room waiting for re-assembly in the garage in Spring. Can’t get over how much space all the boxes take up.

There’s so much to do with a home move that I haven’t even done anything about Modelrail Scotland this year (and “Alloa” is there again – will I succumb I wonder?).

This is the “last leg standing” (or should it be "lying"?).
IMG_3331.JPG
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

My modelling has never really fully recovered from a house move over five years ago. Hope the garage setup goes well, spring shouldn’t be too far along the tracks.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

House moves, the scourge of model railway builders! Been there suffered that, hope you get settled in quickly. At least you have managed to retain the basic structures so hopefully you will be up and running quicker than me.
Had a weekend in Carlingford a few years ago and visited Newry a couple of times - nice place.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Ex-Pat

I was wondering where you'd gone, now I know, house sale and move, that'll do it. Hope everything goes well for you.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Dave-00, Jim & manna for your encouragement.

However I think you'll get there before me Jim.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Good to hear from you, Ex-Pat. A house move eh! Does it give you more room for 'Hawick'? :wink:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks glencairn - the lounge would cater for my once anticipated 2ft extension but is out of the question!

The garage will take the existing layout once I've sorted it out and made it more user-friendly. I should at least be able to access the previously inaccessible goods yard corner.