Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Lumsdonia

Post by Ex-Pat »

That stained glass is rather novel, and very impressive.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Ex-Pat wrote:That stained glass is rather novel, and very impressive.
Ironically, I have been collecting pictures of stained glass for many years, the intent being to print them on acetate when required for my church build.
After finally taking the plunge and buying the Petite Properties kit, partly because it has the most detailed windows available, I was amazed when I got it home to find that the stained glass acetate was included in the kit! Plus they are probably better than any I could have produced!
Looking at all the photos I have found on the net of the finished kit, they don't do them justice, but I think that may be a function of poor lighting fitted to the model.
My technique of uniform mass lighting may well be the winning trick, to showing off the stained windows to the best effect, we shall see!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

My church diorama continues, the graveyard is nearly complete, here are some snippets . . . . . .

Video
Teaser Img_5809.jpg
Teaser Img_5812.jpg
Teaser Img_5807.jpg
heda

Post by heda »

That looks really good, The churchyard is one of my next jobs, so I'm watching with interest.
Dave
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

So the Church Diorama is more or less finished, still need to tidy up a few bits, do some weathering, etc

It is[12.5in by 24in (320x610mm)]. It is edged with an angled side so, as tapered, it will drop into a flush, mating hole in the layout.
The diorama features built in sound, full lighting (four separate circuits:- the lychgate, external flood lighting and two in the church), animated coffin, animated wedding photographers flash, working synchronous multi clocks, super detail stained glass windows, complete compound walling, lychgate, 120 realistic graves, wedding scene, funeral scene, grave diggers shed and a feature I have not seen before, detachable quick removable roofs!
I was not happy with the buttresses as supplied, so decided to make my own, using SMS quoins, I made a master, glued a wooden former together and cast it in silicon, so I can now crank out lots of the same in plaster. I also added the spire, as not supplied in the kit and developed my own idea for the stone covering and added the additional quoins.

So here is the Church Video
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Fantastic Timber, love the flash bulbs going off and the coffin. Not to sure what that says both a Wedding and a Funeral together. Still love it though. Great to see you have your Mojo back, anychance of a bridge update.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Thanks dublo, I am now concerned that they pile three bodies in 1 grave!
The bridge died a death as the mojo left the building! Having got the mojo back in the building with the Church diorama, I need to carry on with one of the previously started projects, the bridge may well come to the top of the list, we will see!
End2end

Post by End2end »

It has a real look of a Sussex Norman flint church.
Very nice TimberSurf, very nice indeed. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
heda

Post by heda »

Excellent work, love it.
Dave
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi Timbersurf - to quote soeme good old Glasgow Slang, Your Graveyard is pure dead brilliant :D !

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Thank you E2E, I was kind of going for the flint look, but was not sure I had pulled it off!
Thanks heda, I hope I peaked your "interest"!
Much appreciated luckymucklebackit, is that pronounced Deeed? lol
End2end

Post by End2end »

Yes I think it looks spot on. :D
One thing of note is a great many have square Norman towers yet what I've seen, roughly half have a spire and half don't so making yours removable means you can change it to suit.
Something I forgot to mention is that you've captured the multitude of different headstone designs seen in a graveyard too. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Graveyard looks good.
I must admit I actually went and had a good look round my local church/graveyard when I was modelling them on Petersdale. It's a thing I don't often do but the church is only 100 yards away. It doesn't look like there's been any burials there since the early 1900s. The graves are very randomly placed usually you can find family groups buried close together. I found the family burials of the orignal onwers of the farm of which our house is a part. There is about 10 of them dating from the late 1700s through to the early 1900s. I also noticed a lot of the fallen gravestones had been moved and put up against the stone wall that surrounds the church so you can still see the inscriptions. The town has a new burial ground away from the church.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Great work on the graveyard. That noticeboard is superb :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

GeraldH wrote:Great work on the graveyard. That noticeboard is superb :) .
I can't really take credit for that, apart from adding the glass and painting, it's a kit from Scale Model Scenery :?