St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
CandO

Re: St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post by CandO »

Dad-1 wrote:.... just dive in and get started.
Geoff T.
Inspirational stuff Geoff.....just what I'm doing! :D
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

CandO,

It proves you're going to enjoy life .......

Frustrations - Yep we all have them, you know, that wagon that frequently de-rails and you can't work out why ?
Running around St Oval I was having brake vans de-railing. Now I know it has Set-Track points and some 1st radius
curves that are always going to be more difficult regarding reliability. However as an engineering puzzle it should be
possible to solve it.
Track is flat, Back-to-Back wheel set measurements all O.K - I run 14.37 rather than 14.5 to be happier on 1st radius
trackwork.
The offending brake vans, one a Dapol RTR, the other a Dapol kit. I have analysed the kit's problems on the model clubs
test track. There it is a combination of 3 different reasons. First the track has a twist that I can't solve without a major
re-build although I have filed down some of the lump that was on one side only. This wagon fitted with Dapol wheel sets
wobbles proving the wheel sets were not accurate. Derailing happens when the wobble in combination with the track lump
lifts the very small flanges on Dapol wheel sets above the rail head - with nothing to keep it between the rails it falls off.

Now I know from a measuring session several years ago that Hornby wheel sets have deeper flanges, at that time 44%
deeper, although the wheels on my new Hornby Fish vans are from a different component manufacturer and not quite as
deep.
It was necessary to snap off the brakes to remove the wheels and replace with old Hornby sets. I now have no wobble, and
extensive running with no derailing, those deeper flanges doing the required job. Brakes glued back and it seems problem
solved. Flushed from success I removed the wheels from the Dapol RTR 'Toad' brake van, again replacing with Hornby sets
removed from my fish vans and again problem solved. The longer wheelbases of brake vans is a contributory cause, you should
hear the scraping noise when a Hornby LNER Extra Long CCT is dragged through those 1st radius curves, genuine flange squeal !!
On model railways flanges really do have to work hard - I usually keep away from Hornby wheel sets and replace with Dapol, or
Bachmann where they work well on shorter wheelbase wagons. But Horses for Courses ........

Not bad for a day when I can't see well

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

More about the Wagon Works than St.Oval, but hey that's where the trains running.
5 ex unpainted Dapol 8 ton Fruit Mex wagons now with their GWR dark grey livery
courtesy of HMRS pressfix decal sheets.
If you're chicken to try a kit from scratch these offer a chance to try your painting
and decalling skills. 5 vans for £30, O.K if you don't have the paint and decals there
will be those extras to buy, but they have other future uses .... for when you get that
first kit.

https://youtu.be/yyVzQat_IyQ

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I have so many jobs (layouts) on the go, sometimes I don't quite know where to post.
I dragged this from the depths as here we see the results of my latest toy.

Yes it's St Oval with working platform lights - well 2 of the 3 as I've not sorted the wiring.
These are running at 4.5 volts and while the camera exaggerates the actual lighting level
this offers about my requirements.
The key is a 1.0 amp multi-voltage, regulated, switch mode, plug-in, power supply. It
arrived today, my latest 'toy' at a cost of £8.95 post free. It was purchased for use on
Castell Mawr, but as the lighted areas are all stored in my shed St Oval became the test
bench. The range of Voltages are :- 3; 4.5; 5.0; 6.0; 7.5; 9.0 & 12.0.

Back to worrying about washing machines !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

While Bufferstop creeps off to play with his new Hornby Peckett ......
I spent some time early this morning when the garage was at -4C
videoing my not so new (but very cheap) Hornby S&DJR 3F Jinty
rolling around St.Oval
I was bored, but not interested in actually doing anything constructive.
Hell is this a sign of getting old !!

https://youtu.be/VOPFHPH6yow

Perhaps it was just because it was damn cold !!

At least I was running the latest Dapol 10 ton vent meat van build and
my modified (flange reduced) Lima wheels on horseboxes (see Work
Bench)

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Having wished the last of the family visitors a Happy New Year and dispatched them back to their own homes, I unpacked the trays containing the former contents of my workbench, distributed them around and got down to a serious running session with the Peckett. Like the Sentinel diesel hydraulic the gearing is just right, it will easily pull more than its prototype so is destined for an easy life. I'm going to have to build a better version of my Wisbech and Upwell coach to give it a train that matches it's looks.
Out in the garage at this time of year is enough to drain anyone's enthusiasm. We have a 5m x 3m garden cabin which is heated to just above freezing, I don't spend more than 10 minutes a day in there (to fill the bird feeders) at this time of year.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Boïschaut

Post by Boïschaut »

Hello Geoff T.,
I really like your layout. It gives me a lot of ideas but unfortunately I haven't your skill and your patience to built a layout like yours. Can't wait for the next updates !
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Bufferstop,
I stall at the price of the Peckett, but from what you say it looks
like Hornby HAVE done something about the overly high gearing
which was their trade mark of so many small locomotives.

Dave - Keep it simple - but with good track for clean reliable running.

Chris, Mon Ami, You have already shown an artistic feel with that
back scene behind your Caledonian Railways Pug. Of course you CAN
do it .... it'll just take a little practice.

Geoff T.
Boïschaut

Post by Boïschaut »

Dad-1 wrote:Chris, Mon Ami, You have already shown an artistic feel with that
back scene behind your Caledonian Railways Pug. Of course you CAN
do it .... it'll just take a little practice.
Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

As improvements go adopting a two stage gear reduction even in a small 0-4-0 is a simple step providing the actual gears are of a suitable quality. Over the holiday I spent some time examining the pinion and contrate gear used with the same motor as the type 7 in Micro-Scalextric cars, about once per half lap on average. Came to the conclusion it could form the basis of a motor inside boiler tube with vertical worm in the firebox arrangement, providing the noise wasn't too great. Having left the lads and the grandkids to continue testing the life span of said gears, I googled the supply position as I'm sure they will be coming into Bufferstop Pitstop quite soon. Fortunately the complete chassis is relatively cheap.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Boïschaut

Post by Boïschaut »

Dad-1 wrote:He, He, over 6 years since started - I Might finish one day.
Geoff T.
Yes for sure. But...what year ? :D
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I had to put it somewhere, and as it's on 'St Oval' it
seemed logical to place here.

Following my comments on the 'curse of detail' I decided to unclip the brake rodding from the front attachments
and yes, that released the Pony Truck to full movement and back to reliable running. To prove that here is the video.

https://youtu.be/sTAwqL4IErg

Cruising around at a scale 14 MPH with 31 behind, no derailing, hesitations, just clean smooth running. When you
think this is such tail chaser that the train is being pulled around anything up to 1.1/2 of the 180 degree turns it's
quite impressive. When I bought 4287 I thought it rather light and wondered about it's traction, this is fine though !!

We've also had questions raised about layout heights, this has the track bed at 50" from the ground. By being that high
you have all the space underneath for bicycles, lawn mower, compressor and any other junk you want to tuck away. It's
not comfortable to work on, but a good viewing level.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Dave,

Not quite ..... I also had to cheat slightly regarding it all being set track.
The curve by the road over bridge is :-
1 x 3rd, 1 x 2nd, 2 x 1st
The river bridge curve became complicated because in finishes on a set-track point.
It begins with a 1st radius, then has part of a 1st radius with the joining track on to
the point made up with felexitrack. Cobbled together to get the best flowing turn
I could.
The principal was to try and have more gentle curves in the main viewing frontage,
with tight turns leading onto the behind back scene space where I have the longest
passing loop possible with a small head shunt ....... even then it's short, but I can
pass an autocoach train and small 4/5 wagon + brake china clay train.

The original idea was I could do exhibitions and rotate front scene action between
small freight and passenger back & forth on the single track. In practice it's never
been finished although when I look at photographs from moving home just over
3 years ago it has moved forward. Being a roundy-roundy it gets quite regular use
and I'm so pleased that THE CHIEF persuaded me not to scrap before moving.

I will continue with it, it needs breaking down and lifting off it's supporting frame to
continue scenic work that is simply impossible with it in situ.

Geoff T
Kerluk

Post by Kerluk »

Thanks for the video. That's what I call a freight train !
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Good stuff Geoff.