Mikol's Layout 'Ashdale Valley'!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Nothing more to say than has already been said, very very nice....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
heinz

Post by heinz »

Everytime you get a close up of your ballasting i was think to myself how good it looks, everytime!!!!

keep it up mate looks smashing.
Mikol

Post by Mikol »

hey everyone thanks for the kind comments!

answers to questions now

For the markings I just used normal white poster paint (Early learning Centre brand i think) over black enamel paint for the road surface.

For the fencing I found that on eBay, its custom-made by someone on there

Link

And the ballast i used was coare grey blend woodland scenics, if anyone's interested. I always thought coarse looked better than fins but that's just personal preference i guess. Nice to see someone with similar tastes.
chris_james_tunnock

Post by chris_james_tunnock »

Nice rock faces Mikol! :D
Chris
chris_james_tunnock

Post by chris_james_tunnock »

Any updates?
Chris

Post by 5690 »

Love the layout! Not sure about the inside sidings though, like my sidings to be next to the layout, but each to their own! In my opinion it just leaves more space inside for scenery such as towns, stations etc.
Mikol

Post by Mikol »

sorry everyone - layout's taking a back seat for a while now...

i know how it sounds bt for me the layout's just about finished and i have more pressing things to be gettin on with - namely decorating, going out and to make things worse on my wallet ive jus met a new girl and things are going well. so there's not much room in my budget for train playing.

just thought i'd level with you guys rather than let this thread die out... it may get updated from time to time.. bt for now i'd like to thanks everyone who has given me tips and advice and say goodbye for now!
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

No worries Mikol, good on ya. Just make sure you pop in from time to time mate :wink:
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Mikol

Post by Mikol »

will do! :)
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

Just caught up with this, sorry I'm so slow :oops: Excellent work there mikol especially the rock faces :)

Keep up the good work!

BR
tinsleytmd

Post by tinsleytmd »

yeah thats looking pritty good i must start work on a layout soon i just cant make my mind up what to start first.
Rail_Fan 15

Post by Rail_Fan 15 »

wow! very nice layout. im thinking of building another layout in my room if my parents let me. i only have just enough space for a trakmat, i was planning on having mine stored against the wall when not in use. your layout looks amazing, i never knew that just a little track could make all that difference, i like the idea how its kinda like a figure 8. the only thing i dont like about the original trakmat design you used is the 3 lane level crossing. i think peco (????) makes 3 lane crossings, im not sure. keep up the good work and cant wait to see more improvments!
Todd 8)

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.
Rail_Fan 15

Post by Rail_Fan 15 »

TIP: add linchen in and around buffer stops to make it look like uncontrolled weeds, but only a little otherwise it can look silly
Todd 8)

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.
Rail_Fan 15

Post by Rail_Fan 15 »

may i suggest weathering your buffer stops, first paint them a sort of brown, then use the dry brush method suggested by hornby and apply black paint in certain areas, follwed by rusty yellowy colors in certain areas. Finish it off by buying some hornby trees, ripping the leaves off and using it as weed growth in and around the buffer stop.
Todd 8)

Mikol

Post by Mikol »

not much of an update but im looking to finish this layout off soon - in the process of cleaning it up at the moment, but sadly im planning to sell all of my stock and my layout (once ive finished the far side station) so
if anyones seen anything they like the look of in any of my pictures in this thread, drop me a line and we'll work something out.

thanks for all the criticism, comments and encouragement - without it i would never have got this far :)

and don't worry, i'm still going to be around, cooking up ideas for th enext project :)

thanks

Mikol