My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Marcus

Re: My first ever model railway build.

Post by Marcus »

heda wrote:Crikey, you've achieved in a few days what took me about two years !

Looking good, and in my opinion no such thing as overkill with applying power to the track, every one of my sections has got droppers, tedious to do but better than having a section of dead track after all the landscaping has been done.

Dave
Lol. I did start about 7 in the morning and worked straight through till about 5pm. That was only because I had to light the BBQ. It was rather good mind :lol:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Evening all. A little while back I mentioned that I was revisiting parts of the layout I wasn't happy with and to be honest, I didn't like the sky or back drop I made, so decided on getting some Peco scenic backdrops that I think look so much better. I'm much happier with how it looks now and looking forward to finishing the remainder. Lots of trees still needed around layout along with loads more detailing, and more importantly, people. There's a few shows coming up soon locally, so I'll be on the lookout for useful bits and pieces. :D
Attachments
Wasn't really happy with old backdrop. Happier with this.
Wasn't really happy with old backdrop. Happier with this.
image.jpeg (179.97 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Looks more realistic now.
Looks more realistic now.
image.jpeg (160.49 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

just a little update on Marcroft station. I have yet to wire up platform lights, added a few passengers and burts hot dogs are selling well. Started to try and blend station into what will be countryside, as I would like to keep this part of layout minimal, industry wise. The one thing missing is trees, I need lots more trees. All in all, happy with things so far, but still a long, long way to go. :D
Attachments
A little more detailing to be added, but getting there.
A little more detailing to be added, but getting there.
image.jpeg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Marcrofts first passengers await first arrival.
Marcrofts first passengers await first arrival.
image.jpeg (171.91 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Looking realy good!
We just need the obligatory "night shot" as soon as the lights are wired up! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Spent a little time on Marcroft and added a little more of the scenery. Looking at the photo, the one thing that stands out is the track itself. With the N gauge show just around the corner I will be looking out for some track weathering pens I've seen, and this seems a very easy way to weather the track. Running performance is 100% improved with all the droppers now wired up. I have yet to install any point motors or connected any of the lighting but this will wait until winter, as I'm making the most of the warm weather drying out the glue for securing the scenery. Looking forward to the upcoming shows so no doubt I'll unknowingly pass some of you hunting for those little bargains :D
Attachments
A little more scenery added. Track needs weathering though.
A little more scenery added. Track needs weathering though.
image.jpeg (194.31 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Marcus

Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' is what I used
Terminus3.jpg
Terminus3.jpg (237.53 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
(there other makes available)

Peter
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Notroh wrote:Marcus

Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' is what I used
Terminus3.jpg
(there other makes available)

Peter
thanks for that. Something else on my list on upcoming n gauge show.. :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Just a quick update on "Marcroft" a little more scenery added whilst the weather is still warm. Over the next few days I'm hoping to have a go at track weathering, not sure the best way but I'm sure they'll be some suggestions on YouTube. It's my intention to do another YouTube video also, so I'll post link when that's done. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.31 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.97 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.8 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (175.17 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
whynot

Post by whynot »

So many details, all so very good, that the overall effect is first rate! The winding road, the surface of the farm track, the perfectly positioned livestock......love it all!
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Hi Marcus,

Well.....you have been busy over the summer :) some lovely work there.

Did you get the 'Track Pen' to do the track weathering? If so, it should be relatively easy, push down the 'knib' a few times on some card until the paint starts to flow, then just run the pen against the side of the track at about 45 degrees if you can do it. The knib should keep in the groove of the track and be quite a quick job. Then just go over the track with a track rubber to remove the paint from the top of the track and bobs your uncle....Though you do have a LOT of track :) Hope you bought a couple of track pens, you will need it....

If you are using the 'brush' method, it is much the same, but slower.

Best of luck

Peter
End2end

Post by End2end »

Notroh wrote:If you are using the 'brush' method, it is much the same, but slower.
I concur! But I also cheated and only painted the facing rails....shhh don't tell anyone. :mrgreen:
:arrow: :arrow: Move along, nothing to see here. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

End2end wrote:I concur! But I also cheated and only painted the facing rails....shhh don't tell anyone.
No need to keep it secret, I 'fessed up to it years ago!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Notroh wrote:Hi Marcus,

Well.....you have been busy over the summer :) some lovely work there.

Did you get the 'Track Pen' to do the track weathering? If so, it should be relatively easy, push down the 'knib' a few times on some card until the paint starts to flow, then just run the pen against the side of the track at about 45 degrees if you can do it. The knib should keep in the groove of the track and be quite a quick job. Then just go over the track with a track rubber to remove the paint from the top of the track and bobs your uncle....Though you do have a LOT of track :) Hope you bought a couple of track pens, you will need it....

If you are using the 'brush' method, it is much the same, but slower.

Best of luck

Peter
Hi Pete.
I haven't purchased any pens yet as such. Because I do have a fair amount of track, I was thinking of using an airbrush and cover the rails as well as sleepers with a little paint covering the ballest on the side of track. I have watched videos on YouTube with people using spray cans. I should have weathered before ballesting, but hay ho. I fancy ago this weekend on track under the removable sections so if it looks pants, you won't see it. I'll let you know how I get on 8)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

whynot wrote:So many details, all so very good, that the overall effect is first rate! The winding road, the surface of the farm track, the perfectly positioned livestock......love it all!
Thx for your compliment. I'm really enjoying the build :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

End2end wrote:
Notroh wrote:If you are using the 'brush' method, it is much the same, but slower.
I concur! But I also cheated and only painted the facing rails....shhh don't tell anyone. :mrgreen:
:arrow: :arrow: Move along, nothing to see here. :D
Thanks
End2end
Why paint what you can't see....LOl