SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
D605Eagle

Re: SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Post by D605Eagle »

I already have upgraded to version 1 as I wasn't aware it was going payware until I had done it, so I'm kinda stuffed. I hope that I don't need to make any more changes that the ones i've had to save onto a piece of paper otherwise things will get very hard to keep on top of!
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

I hope that I don't need to make any more changes that the ones i've had to save onto a piece of paper otherwise things will get very hard to keep on top of!
So, you are going to build a layout like this

which probably costs several thousands pounds for tracks, rolling stock, scenery, DCC, room and furniture arrangement, but you refuse to spend 24 pounds (this is less than pair of turnouts) to continue to use the software that allowed you do design all that?????

WOW... Stupid me that believed that more people will donate for my free software in the past...

Mixy
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Mixy wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:If I had known it was going to be payware in the beginning I would never have started using it in the first place.
If I had known that almost nobody will donate for my work and support that I was providing at no cost for the past 7 years with SCARM, I would never have started to share it for free.

Mixy
....and when Photoshop started charging for people to share photographs on third party websites without prior warning after years of free availability, same thing, you get a lot of unhappy users. I think that you have to be clear and up front about future charging policy long before you impose those charges.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

luckymucklebackit wrote:I think that you have to be clear and up front about future charging policy long before you impose those charges.
There is no such think like "long enough" for a period. For me, it is 1 month, for you it may be 10 years or even more.

And I was pretty clear when posted that SCARM Approaches v.1.0 Milestone. Have you ever read that?

But anyway, thanks for the comparison with PhotoShop. Hope SCARM to be so successful too :)

Mixy
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Mixy wrote:
WOW... Stupid me that believed that more people will donate for my free software in the past...

Mixy
I already apologised for missing your donate button. You have no idea on my present financial situation or how the track and other ancillaries were paid for. Your tone is extremely aggressive so I think I will give your software a miss in the future. Consider yourself ignored.
Mixy

Post by Mixy »

D605Eagle wrote:You have no idea on my present financial situation or how the track and other ancillaries were paid for. Your tone is extremely aggressive so I think I will give your software a miss in the future. Consider yourself ignored.
Really??? My tone is aggressive??? Because I just started to ask to be paid for my work and you initiate that conversation???

Or because you know my current situation? Probably you know that I am working over SCARM 2-3 hours each day, even Saturdays and Sundays? Probably you know that I even need to put glasses now? And for what???

What should I to tell to my wife and my children when they ask me why I am always at the computer each evening when I get back at home?
"Sorry kids, but I need to work even more and continue do that for free in order to satisfy people like D605Eagle, who need to make their train layouts and probably play with their own children and grandchildren"...

Well, that's it. No more free stuff from me. If someone wants to continue to use SCARM, let it be so good and pay the license - as I already said, it is no more than the cost of pair of turnouts.

And thank you for the ignorance. I feel much better now ;)

Mixy