My New Attic Layout !

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Good luck with your new project. To be honest, the first layout was a success because it gave you some practice for the 'real thing' ;)

Will you be going around the edge of the loft now to maximise the run?
If so, good call. I did that with my old loft layout. Means you can get away with nice long, thin boards that make modelling all the more manageable!

You can also get away with larger curves. Beleive me, it's worth the larger curves when you are using long wheel-base stock like an HST. Are youing to use flexi-track? I'd suggest you do if you hadn't decided to already because i) it will make the job a whole lot quicker ii) It will be a fair bit cheaper too. iii) Plus, you can profile your own curves on the main line :D

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hey there infrontcat.

Yes its going to go around the edge of the loft. I've built all the baseboards today, its gonna be about 15ft long by about 5ft.

I wasnt going to use flexi track, its something I have no experience with... It would probably be a good idea to have a go... But I have just bought some Hornby 3rd radius curves, so I'm going to see how they look.

It took me all day to build the boards, and then I ran out of timber when it came to making the legs !!! So I've knocked it on the head for the day. Back to it tomorrow ! I'm rather excited about it, I havent made a layout bigger than the standard 6x4 !!! :lol:
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

if you dont mind me asking, how wide is your layout :?:I have a 3' 44" space to work with, width wise :x darn the builders who left out the extra 4". Nice layout buy the way :D

Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hi Jeremy, the layout in the photos is 6' x 4'

I've ripped it all up now, and its now running at 15' x 5'.... Will post some pics this weekend !!
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

wow thats quite a change there! :lol: thanks I think I'll be doing something very similar in my bedroom, as my around the walls layout isnt quite working out. Looking forward to the pics! :D
Just another question: what were the radius of the curves on your 6'x4' 3rd and 2nd radius? or 2nd and 1st? I presume 3rd and 2nd though :wink:

Jermey
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Nah they were 1st and 2nd, to give me enough room for teh 3 sidings on the right hand side. I've never had a problem with 1st radius, all my engines seem to be fine with them, even the bigger ones like my Heljan western.