Failure and restarting

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
aleopardstail

Re: Failure and restarting

Post by aleopardstail »

Bufferstop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:47 pm
aleopardstail wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:13 am
Bufferstop wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:35 pm Check that you are using the public URL for your images. The hosting site issues it under sharing or publishing the image, the URL that you get when uploading the image is private to you, so the image will be available to you when you preview the post, but no one else can see it.
See viewtopic.php?t=51876 and other posts in the same forum for the method of linking images.
its my own hosting site, images work in firefox but not chrome, I suspect its down to it being http, not https
As a work around try using url instead of img
Direct from the editor I've just tried url]http://www.aleopardstail.com/IMG_3004.JPG[/url inside the brackets and get a clickable link which returns directly to the page.
It's something to do with how pspBB creates its code and how the browsers react to it.
will give that a go, occurs on other forum sites also, apparently its a "security" thing inside chrome and chrome based browsers, and while there is an option to override it on a site by site basis firstly everyone would have to do it, which isn't practical and secondly it doesn't work anyway

this stuff used to be simple.

frustration is stuff on older threads still works
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I was a network manager for an academic site, one of my colleagues asked me if her son was making things up. He told her he could access blocked sites at school. So when I got a chance to talk to him I asked him what he did. When a site returned access blocked to http:/...... He typed in https: It certainly didn't work on our doss/LANManager network so I told a friend who managed some school BBC networks , he tried it and sure enough it worked. It was the security system the schools had installed, li you blocked a URL starting http you needed to block it a https. If the routing software couldn't find your Https site it obligingly tried http for you. Who put that together :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

how many have fallen for making the clbuttic issue of thinking security filtering is easy...
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

muppet mistake and tip for others..

if you are soldering to rail, especially chunky C100 rail, don't use a fine tip on the soldering iron as you would for say soldering surface mount LEDs.. it dun't work.. bigger tip and its way easier.

in other news, my test track now has power feeds at the correct end using more suitable wire into a little terminal block (means I can stick the bodged controller in a more suitable location). with luck the buffer stops will turn up tomorrow, quick blast with a dark brown primer and they can be added, along with a few more bits of rolling stock to "experiment" with, some goods wagons this time.

and maybe if I'm lucky a D49 will arrive as well.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

aleopardstail wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:41 pm how many have fallen for making the clbuttic issue of thinking security filtering is easy...
You should see what it is like in a multi-lingual context; the long ago clarseic first introduction to the subject was the sales failure of the Rolls Silver Mist in Germany. And as for images which are legal here, but not there...
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

have seen that with table top gaming, one of the top gaming events the European Team Championship was held in Germany a few years back, far enough the warhammer lot were fine, however one of the games was the WW2 game Flames of War, which can be somewhat... touchy

the organisers checked with the embassy who noted that representation of 1939-1945 in accurate ways (markings, uniforms etc) was ok, but nothing that wasn't accurate was and that such could only be displayed in the correct context.

caused all sorts of issues if anyone had say an aircraft with a bent cross decal on it as the actual aircraft had
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

A few new additions, honestly not even finished clearing and preparing the space for the layout yet, I say its all to aid "planning" *cough*

first up needed some wagons, partly to get the size of them right for train and siding lengths. Got a triplet of these Dapol NE Banananannanna vans

Image http://www.aleopardstail.com/IMG_3012.JPG

couplings look a tad iffy however a very reasonable price from TMC with the May Day sale

my N2 in green finally showed up, fair play to the guy on eBay, he let me know it would be delayed a bit and frankly I can cope

Image http://www.aleopardstail.com/IMG_3013.JPG

looks nice, there is a lined black one due soon as well, plan is one on surburban passenger duties the other a station pilot

finally for pictures, a Hornby D49

Image [urlhttp://www.aleopardstail.com/IMG_3014.JPG[/url]

very nice looking, needs slight paint touchup in a few areas of the underframe though this is hardly a critical issue presently

also (unpictured) a Bachmann "Barnsley Main" 7 plank wagon, not pictured because its a pig to get in and out of the box. a pair of buffer stops for the test plank to remove worry on stuff going for a dive and the 2.2uH inductors to perform the first state modification to the RFID reader board. May be a bit of testing later with the two new locos, may get left as I need to take a wire brush to some cellar walls to get ready to apply a cat covered in paint
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

Bit more on the cellar today, walls have had a second coat of masonry paint, will need a third probably tomorrow evening. the recessed lights for a chunk of it are due tomorrow and a trip to Wickes planned for Sunday with the intention of using next week to get the ceiling sorted, painted and lights added. plus some shelving to same and re-paint to generally tidy the area up.

and then this will shift to the other thread as the actual layout built starts...

*manic laughter*
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Germany & unusual laws.
With scale model aircraft you can't have the German Swastika full stop !!
My Czech friends had to stick small pieces of paper over the markings when
on display at the German Aviation Museum at Gatow. Right behind them was
a WWII German aircraft - Yes with correct markings - How Daft was that !!

p.s. With IPMS(UK) we went to the annual German IPMS exhibition 3 times
shortly after the turn of the centaury. One time we had more Lancasters in
Berlin than had been seen there since 1945.

Geoff T.
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

lol on the Lancasters

cellar now has third coat of paint, having a dehumidifier down there seriously helps with paint drying

Image http://www.aleopardstail.com/IMG_3017.JPG

this is the corner I've been working on, ceiling about will get some plywood cladding and recessed lighting to replace the strip light that is at just the right height to bang my head on.

that bulk on the floor is an old boiler, this will get a plywood enclosure to go over it.

that end of the layout will be supported by a small shelf on wall brackets with a retaining lip. will go a bit wider than the wall to part obscure the door (which doesn't really go anywhere except a small storage space) the layout able to be removed should it need to be and will extend towards the camera 12' to about where I was standing to take the picture.

there is more wall still to paint, a second old boiler etc to remove but I'm planning to make a start with the layout before finishing it all as can get going with the first 4' reasonably quickly, and while the frame will lack decking it can have a few sheets just resting on it and the test stuff moved down there
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

More prep work in the cellar, today saw 7 sheets of 6mm plywood added to clad the ceiling, an old strip light removed and four LED downlights added. gives me 8' of clad depth once a few side bits are done.

Image http://www.aleopardstail.com/IMG_3019.JPG

needs a lot of cleaning (job for during the week) and more painting (ditto), ceiling painting I was going to leave until the rest is done, and may still do, well the rest of the cladding at that end at least. will get the cleaning done and those shelves at the end finished though

out table top gaming Thursday evening.. which just so happens to take me past Wickes where a couple more plywood sheets may find their way into the car.

starting to plan out the baseboards, the fiddle yard side will have a pair of solid top boards, as will one of the two small end 2'x2' boards, I think the rest will be open frame as there won't be much if any level track on them to ease the main gradient to hopefully ~ 1:50 with a 5" rise (3" to clear track and trains then a further 2" to allow for point servos etc above the lower level)
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

A second Mainline N2 has arrived, lined black, and very nice

curious discovery, the things are noisy.. well duh.. someone I know has a husband who collects trains, even she recognised the picture as "the noisy one".

anyway, body off for lubrication and cleaning.. and by eck its a lot quieter, and I mean a lot quieter "can here the wheels clack on the rails" quieter at low speed at least. noisy with the body on..

I'm thinking part of the issue is the body attached with one screw at the front, the back is rattling, think some sound damping is in order.

in other news, cellar shelves have all been glossed and the kit to make the baseboard legs ordered (adjustors for the base and screw fittings for the top)

likely no more work beyond cleaning this week until Sunday, but will hopefully finish the cladding that end then and get the ceiling painted up next week and with luck get the shelf at the end fitted that one end will be resting on.

plan is the lower level track datum at floor + 3'6" nominally, then levelled to be close to that, puts the eventual upper deck at roughly 3'11" which works well when standing and a nice view when seated.

will shift to the construction sub forum when the first base board module exists
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

More toys have arrived.

given my "layout" is currently a 3'6" length of straight track glued to an old shelf this is impressive

todays additions mean we have

locomotives
  • J72 in Green (Mainline)
    J52 in Black (Hornby)
    N2 in Green (Mainline)
    N2 in Black (Mainline)
    A1 in Green (Hornby)
    B12 in Green (Hornby)
    D49 in Green (Hornby)
coaches
  • 8x corridor coaches
    3x non corridor coaches
freight
  • 3x banana vans
    3x ventilated vans
    1x private owner 7 plank
    1x brake van
have decided to stop now for a while.

on order also is a C75 turnout to check for compatibility, figured a turnout was a better test than just plain track, and given the postage and minimum orders on flexi also cheaper.

waiting on some "on metal" RFID tags also, and a further few RFID reader boards have arrived ready for modification and testing

components to make the baseboard legs arrived, will be getting the stuff to make the wall end mounting shelf and finish that ends ceiling tomorrow
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Of the tank engines, don't expect too much of the J52. The body was one of Hornby's better pre-China efforts, really gets the general appearance of the old 'Humpy'; but the mechanism is weak, elements of its design date back to the 1950s . It can be lightly modified to take a current Bachmann mechanism out of a 57XX, which is an excellent performer: the problem is scoring one at a low low price for the transplant.

The N2 'Big Met' (yes, my favourite class) tank is a brute, usually noisy but near bombproof and generally easily worked on. Be careful with the pick up wipers, they are retained by melted over plastic studs that are part of the chassis moulding. The centre coupled axle is sprung, great aid to reliable pick up.
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

Bigmet wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 pm Of the tank engines, don't expect too much of the J52. The body was one of Hornby's better pre-China efforts, really gets the general appearance of the old 'Humpy'; but the mechanism is weak, elements of its design date back to the 1950s . It can be lightly modified to take a current Bachmann mechanism out of a 57XX, which is an excellent performer: the problem is scoring one at a low low price for the transplant.

The N2 'Big Met' (yes, my favourite class) tank is a brute, usually noisy but near bombproof and generally easily worked on. Be careful with the pick up wipers, they are retained by melted over plastic studs that are part of the chassis moulding. The centre coupled axle is sprung, great aid to reliable pick up.
the J52 is likely to be trundling with a few wagons or a yard shunter so likely fine, shes running ok which is the main thing, not a fan of traction tyres anyway.

and yes the N2 are nice, noticeably quieter with the bodywork off and I suspect a bit of padding in a few places will make a world of difference, just want a track loop to play with first. that sprung centre axle is a wonderful feature for pick ups I wish more models had. will keep a note on the wipers, planning to DCC this lot gradually once up and running. figure if I can get N gauge Lima and old Poole era GF stuff done these should be possibly through careful application of swearing.

if it comes to it can 3d print replacement chassis parts, hopefully won't come to that, not yet at least