Point Motor Wiring layout

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Flashbang

Re: Point Motor Wiring layout

Post by Flashbang »

End2end wrote:
Flashbang wrote: D) Seep PM1 to PM4 range are notorious for needing to be 100% aligned correctly under the point. So do ensure this and also do not over tighten them either.
This is the bit I'm still really struggling with. :(
I have already drilled 10mm holes under all the points tie bars before securing the track down, no problem there, and I also have a great tool for installing seep's accurately on UNBALLASTED track which uses the sleepers as well as the point itself to sit accurately on the track to drill through the baseboard with pilot holes for where the screws and pin go and also keeping the point blades in the middle (scroll down - https://www.spc-cov.uk/store ) so some point motors are installed.
But I ballasted some of my track before I found and bought the tool so it does not work there and I've always been rubbish at accuracy which these point motors need to work properly.

I just cannot find a decent "idiots" tool to install them accurately and correctly on ballasted track. I've tried the flipped, notched clothes peg method. No good. My accuracy in cutting the slots was useless. I've even bought this tool but it's still not accurate enough - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seep-point-m ... SwoWFfdJBC
Apart from lifting all the ballast on those points, I'm at a loss. :?
Thanks
End2end
Here's my Guide to installing Seep PM1 to PM4...

Here is my take on how I have installed Seep PMx range under the baseboard. The main thing to remember is they are notorious for needing to be installed in line with the point above.

Note the PM2 motor doesn't have any change over switching. Only the PM1 and PM4 have the on board switch.

This is how I fix them to ensure the Seep is correctly fitted underneath the layout….
Lay point in its final position but do not fix it down. Hold the points moving stretcher bar in the central mid-way position and mark through the drive pin hole onto the baseboard top. Allow the points stretcher bar to move over and mark on the baseboard the exact centre line of the stretcher bar. Move point to the opposite direction and again mark that sides dead centre of the stretcher. Lift points and where the drive pin mark was made drill out a hole with either a 9mm dia bit or use a 4mm bit and drill two holes side by side then elongate them into a slot approx. 4mm x 9mm. Change drill bit to a 1mm one and where you marked the outer positions of the stretcher bar drill a hole on that line on each side - two holes of 1mm each outside of the footprint of the point. Now underneath the baseboard and with a pencil and rule, draw a straight line linking the two 1mm holes drilled previously. The line should also pass through the centre of the drive pin hole too. Make sure you extend the pencil line out beyond the 1mm holes by some 10mm to 20mm on each side. Now take the Seep motor and mark on its PCB its exact drive pin centre line, doing this on each side. Pre wire the motor if desired, as its easier to solder short lengths of wire (tails) onto its pads on the workbench rather than doing it upside down! These wire tails can be about 4”-6” inches long and they terminate in a three way (or six way where D,E & F pads are also used) piece of terminal block. Make sure “C” (Return pad) is on the outside of the three way, so as “A” & “B” pads are in positions 1 and 2 of the terminal block. Fix down the point so as it aligns with the holes drilled and its stretcher bar is in line with the 1mm holes.

Once the point is fixed down and before the motor is offered up, I place two “Wedges” in the point blades so as the point blades are held central (Wedges are just something suitable - bits of wire, matchsticks or whatever you have to hand) When fitting the PMx motor again keep it central/mid throw position. Then once fitted your motor and point will be equal for each direction of motor throw. Otherwise you are likely to install the motor more towards one way and that leads to operating problems.

Underneath carefully fit the motor so as its drive pin passes up through the points drive pin hole in the stretcher bar. Now I try and get some help, as a wooded clothes peg or Bulldog clip is clamped to the Seeps drive pin above the point holding the motor in position until its screwed in place. Carefully secure the motor with small wood screws, but ensure the previously marked motors centre is directly in line with the drawn pencil line. Do not over tighten the securing screws. Remove the peg or Bulldog clip and wedges form the centred switch rails and by hand underneath move the Seeps drive pin over to both directions, the point should follow and there shouldn’t be any resistance felt other than the points over centre spring pressure. Assuming all is good, secure the terminal block and connect the two wires into the blocks 1 & 2 terminal coming from the switch or lever. Connect the one common return wire into the 3rd terminal position. Power up and allow CDU a second or two to reach fully charged and then operate the point switch or lever for that point. It should “Pop” over each way with the switch but do all.

Cut the overly long drive pin off as near to flush with the top of the stretcher bar as possible. I use a old pair of largish side cutters and never use a Dremel as the heat caused can damage the plastic stretcher bar. There are also available special hard wire cutters but they tend to be expensive! A cheap pair of Pound shop or market stall wire cutters will do the job. Mine are 7inch type. Watch out for flying cut off pin ends though! :D

BTW.. The above is a copy of an email I sent to a contact a while ago, so I haven't spent ages typing it today! :o

The drawing shows the method above and below baseboard..
Seep-fixing.jpg
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Flashbang wrote:The above is a copy of an email I sent to a contact a while ago
As this is the case I thought I'd better ask first. Would you mind if I printed this out Flashbang?
Thanks
End2end

EDIT: Sorry. Scrap that. I've just realised I've fallen at the first hurdle with
Flashbang wrote:Lay point in its final position but do not fix it down.
The problem points I am referring to are already laid, fixed down and ballasted :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
brober

Post by brober »

E2E... I have just finished fitting 26 PM1 motors. The process I used was to create a small template out of stiff card and formed a 8mm long slot through which the pin can pass. I marked the location of the two fixing screws onto it and formed small holes. I then laid this on top of the ballusted turnout making sure it was at 90 degs to the rails. The motor was inserted from from below with the pin passing up through the central slot. I temporarily fitted the motor below with a couple of dabs of Blutac. I marked on the template the position of the rails. I could then forget about centralisingthe pin and tie bar. Holding the template down in this position (Blutac helps) I then drilled two pilot holes through the ballast and base board at the screw locations from above. It was easy then to get under the baseboard to fit the motor. All the motors were checked manually to make sure they clicked over. As I am still wiring them up I haven't checked yet if they work electrically but am pretty confidant (famous last words!) they will.
BTW I drilled 10 x 20mm slots for the pin movement just to give me more tolerance. Hope this helps.
Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

I find elongating the fixing holes in the seep helps with centralising the switch.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

In the days before I gave up power operated points, and could still get out from under a baseboard without a helping hand up, I used to put a spare transformer on the base board with a length of twin core dangling down connected to 16V AC. At ant stage of fitting I could poke the terminals with the wire and check that the motor banged across in both directions. Just because I could still extract myself from under the board, didn't mean I wanted to do it any more frequently than couldn't be avoided.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

End2end wrote: <SNIP>
The problem points I am referring to are already laid, fixed down and ballasted :lol:
Thanks
End2end
That's not too much of an issue, as you have already drilled the operating pins hole/slot. All you need to do is drill the two 1mm dia holes in line with the points moving stretcher bar anywhere outside of the point. Then join the two holes with the pencil line underneath. Fit motor as described in my post above.

Once all is fitted and working, just fill the two 1.0mm holes with scenic scatter or suitable filler which is then painted etc :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

Flashbang wrote: When fitting the PMx motor again keep it central/mid throw position.
How can you secure the pin so it stays in the middle position and at the same time get the screw holes in the correct position?
There must be something on the market that can do this. (Keeping in mind my useless accuracy)

This is where the SPC tool excels.
Lay the tool on the track, slide it along the track up to the point until it can go no more, which also centres the point blades, and use the 3 drill holes in the tool to drill straight through the baseboard giving you all 3 holes (pin hole and the 2 securing screw holes).
Then enlarge the centre point hole as you see fit.

Push the motors pin up through the points tie bar from underneath with the tool still on the track, secure with the two other holes created previously from drilling through the tool /baseboard.
This eliminates the need to hold the pin in the middle as the tool combined with the attaching screw holes will align it properly when screwed in.

Now if I could just get a tool that does the same thing but on track that is already ballasted up to sleeper height, that would be ideal.!!
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

End2end wrote:
Flashbang wrote: When fitting the PMx motor again keep it central/mid throw position.
How can you secure the pin so it stays in the middle position and at the same time get the screw holes in the correct position?
There must be something on the market that can do this. (Keeping in mind my useless accuracy)
<SNIP>
End2end
I use a converted wooden clothes peg which someone else designed. Very simple and works 100% :D
How to make one is shown here Link to Seep keep
End2end

Post by End2end »

I tried making one of those myself but with my accuracy the pin sat slightly to the side. I know. I'm useless. :? :lol:

You'd think with all the 3D printers out there someone would have come up with a simple kit to buy.
Like I mentioned before, the SPC tool for unballasted track makes installing my Seep's a breeze.
It's like a back to back gauge. So simple yet so perfect for the job.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
brober

Post by brober »

Now that we have resolved E2E's installation issue is anyone prepared to comment on my earlier query about downgrading the common return wire from 32/0.2 to 16/0.2 if all motors are individually switched (I.e. unpaired)?
End2end

Post by End2end »

Apologies for the thread hijack brober but I thought Flashbang had already answered your question. :?
Flashbang wrote:Wiring throughout needs to be at least 16/0.2mm (20AWG or 0.5mm2) e.g. 16/0.2mm equipment wire. (Be cautions of some so called "Layout Wire" sold by some retailers, as this is often 7/0.2mm and is really too small for 100% reliable operations where solenoids are used)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
brober

Post by brober »

:?
The only thing I would add is if any of your point switches move two or more solenoids at once - cross over pair of points etc and especially as you're using Seep PM1 solenoids then I would recommend increasing the return wire size. Use as a minimum 24/0.2mm or better would be 32/0.2mm or if its easier double up the return 16/0.2mm wires - 2 x 16/0.2mm wires connected at each end together then tap off this for all local returns.
I knew he referenced 32/0.2 somewhere before. So my query is now answered as I have found that reference! Should have re-read the thread first before posting! Ah well... It let you have a rant anyway.
End2end

Post by End2end »

That's a new one on me. Asking questions is now 'ranting'. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
brober

Post by brober »

I now have 26 sets of turnouts all fully motorised with directional lighting installed on my control panel. I would like to thank all those who contributed in helping me to achieve this goal (in particular flashbang). Couldn't have done it without you!

Thanks again.

Bruce
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Well done. Hope you're pleased? Glad to of helped. :D