Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
deanno

Re: Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Post by deanno »

As i only have locos that need 1st radii curves and don't think i will buy any of the modern stuff. I have redone my plan using just 1st radius curves, which also brings the size down a bit. As most of what i have is nearly 40 years old and i have never really had a decent layout. I just want something to get them running, but also have a go a some scenery etc. I have also used set track points for easier running.So what do you guys think about this plan, to the right i was thinking of some sort of industrial area, maybe.
1st radius only.jpg
Chops

Post by Chops »

Looks great.
Nessie rocks!
Hymirl

Post by Hymirl »

Looks good. Should be plenty of fun.

I do recommend having second radius on the main running line. For 3 extra inches you get to run anything and you might get a new toy one day!
deanno

Post by deanno »

Ok, i have tweaked the plan so i can have 2 trains running at the same time. Was thinking i might raise the track at the very back and give the layout some height.
twin line.jpg
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Depends upon how high you want to lift the rear track(s) but there is little front to back length to get up there without a severe gradient.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
deanno

Post by deanno »

RAFHAAA96 wrote:Depends upon how high you want to lift the rear track(s) but there is little front to back length to get up there without a severe gradient.
Rob
Hi, I was thinking of raising the track about an inch. But i'm not happy with "sidings" and the more I look at it, the less I like it.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

The main issue with the sidings is quite a common mistake, really. What you've got is a bunch of s-bends to get to each siding, which may look good to watch, but has two main problems:
1) Stock is more likely to derail or uncouple (or NOT uncouple when you're trying to)
2) Shorter sidings.

If you look at the attached, I've done a quick mockup of your upper sidings, with a modified variation below. You'll see that the top siding (red) is now twice as long (and in fact, another siding above it becomes practical too), while the overall length (blue) remains the same.
Untitled.png
Similar changes could be made to the bottom couple of sidings you have, too.
deanno

Post by deanno »

Dragonfly wrote:The main issue with the sidings is quite a common mistake, really. What you've got is a bunch of s-bends to get to each siding, which may look good to watch, but has two main problems:
1) Stock is more likely to derail or uncouple (or NOT uncouple when you're trying to)
2) Shorter sidings.

If you look at the attached, I've done a quick mockup of your upper sidings, with a modified variation below. You'll see that the top siding (red) is now twice as long (and in fact, another siding above it becomes practical too), while the overall length (blue) remains the same.

Untitled.png

Similar changes could be made to the bottom couple of sidings you have, too.
Hi, thanks for that, it makes such a difference. It's just the green section i wish to tidy up, i can't seem to get the track to meet if i move the points around.
twin line.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Those points in green look redundant. Why not move them to the beginning and ends of the long rear straight tracks?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
deanno

Post by deanno »

End2end wrote:Those points in green look redundant. Why not move them to the beginning and ends of the long rear straight tracks?
Thanks
End2end
Excellent, it's done.
twin line.jpg