Hattons new Website Oh Dear.....

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Flashbang

Re: Hattons new Website Oh Dear.....

Post by Flashbang »

Just been on Hattons second-hand (Pre owned) listing pages. Took approx. 1 and no more than 2 seconds for all the images to load :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
vespa

Post by vespa »

Flashbang, what search engine are you using? I am using Firefox and the old Hattons website. Timed today at 10.40, 7 secs to load home page and 17 secs to get to the 2nd hand page which is fast for me. My internet speed is 96mbps. Perhaps it is the day and time that slows it down. The new site is not for me as I find it a complete jumble
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
I use both MS Edge and Google Chrome. Both are similar results. I also have Firefox and Opera available and have just used them as well, with near identical results in connection times. I don't know about Hatton's "Old web site"? I'm just using the link a Google search produces.

This morning I tried them all from a Google search for Hatton's and clicking on the Hatton's home page link all browsers took less than 1 second to load their Home page. From the Hatton's Home page to their Pre Owned pages about 1.5 seconds, but there are hundreds of images to load sequentially. Selecting any of the pre owned items randomly, it takes less than a second for the full details to appear for that item selected.

Assuming you're using a PC/laptop to view and not a Mobile phone or Tablet that's using a mobile network e.g. Cellular 3G or 4G etc.
I wonder and if you're using a PC, if you need to clean out all Cookies and Cache files from your PCs Browser? Passwords may be lost in doing so, so be cautious. Then once done, carry out a Broadband speed check with an app like for example this one ... https://www.speedtest.net/ ideally using a direct wired connection to the router (RJ45 Patch cable) rather than WiFi wireless, which generally will always be a bit slower than a direct hard wired connection.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
vespa

Post by vespa »

I tried using Edge, and the new website, just now after clearing all cookies and that was unuslly slow to load. The Hattons site loaded in 7 secs and the 2nd hand 15 secs. my speed is 95mbps at present. I am a mile away from the exchange on fibre with wire for around 20 feet.The Hattons shop is 8 miles away.
I know that has nothing to do with it.
It's the only website, for me, that is sooooo slow to use. Oh well, I will just have to put up with it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Had something to look up this morning, and all is well. No 'new website' advertised, just the good old method which worked like lightning. (Laptop, Chrome, circa 50m from optical fibre, safely socially distanced from Liverpool.)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Vespa, you say your Broadband is. 93mbps, is this:-
Maximum possible,
Best achieved
A guaranteed minimum
What they promised.
What it's likely to be is the speed of the physical link to which you are connected, and if it is you could be sharing it with up to 49 other uses. You'll see it in the spec as "Contention Ratio 1:50". It doesn't mean that you get 1/50th of 96. At quiet moments, (middle of the night if you live in a retirement home, between 6am and midday if you live in student accommodation), you'll probably hit the max frequently at these times but struggle through the treacle with a dozen or more on line at once.
If you want the whole 96 to yourself, you'll have to get a business internet package, at business prices, but then you'll have to find someone to bring a fibre strand (well several actually) into your house. A fibre is a thin and delicate thing so it's safer to lay a cable containing a few spares. The cabinet in our village has a bunch of 96mb fibres, there are two more cabinets and a bolt on extension to one of them to accommodate the equipment that handles the feeds to the houses, ours is a mile further on over copper and a few yards of late 60s aluminium and manages to hit 56mbps most of the time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
vespa

Post by vespa »

Bufferstop, many apolgies not answering your explanation about speeds. It was over 12 months back and I had a lot of problems at home with my wife being very ill at the time. All OK with her now (almost). The speeds I get are on my computer from Broadband checker and BT. Almost all the other sites I visit are pretty much instant except for Hattons. Thank you for explaining the mystery of internet speed it was very useful. Once again apologies for such a long delay replying.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The website needs a big improvement - 4 lengths of flex and pack of rail joiners in the basket and I tried to browse for anything else which might grab my attention but there is no way of browsing buildings, lineside, tools etc - you always end up with a manufacturers list and sub categories below each so if you do not a know manufacturer makes something that might interest you it is never going to be found. 4 lengths of flex and pack of rail joiners only bought.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Everyone is likely to have their own preferences on this. (Personally I like 'by scale>by product type> by manufacturer' listing that Hattons employ, over all the other shambolic listing systems of other UK online retailers: which obstruct me from quickly searching what I want to look at, in favour of waving at me the things they want to sell.)

The difficulty is that there is no standard classification for product listings of items like buildings; it would depend on whoever compiles the stock listings to devise a list of standard terms to make them searchable in a systematic fashion.
mdn7

Post by mdn7 »

even if you have fibre optic 120mb download, everytime something uses your internet,mobile phone/house phone /laptop/sky/xbox/playstation etc.etc. it eats away at your download.... so if all these are operating at the same time it will slow your downloads quite considerably....And yes that is what a BT engineer told me back in 1865...... but then again quite obvious really..... :!: :roll: