Operating 'Minories' and Improvements

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
pete12345

Re: Operating 'Minories' and Improvements

Post by pete12345 »

I meant on dgp1957's setup with a double slip but you're right about the use of the loco spur as a fourth platform. It becomes 'departure only' so requiring a double shunt which adds further interest.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I've got a copy of CJF's original article, I'll dig it out and see if the platforms were arrive/depart. I think they must have been as a rapid turn around was the main idea. A spare loco in the spur joined the rear of the arriving train, and took it out on its next trip. The incoming loco then went to the spur, before taking out the next departure, and so on....
Modern practice would place a further crossover further out and use both lines as bi-directional. "Just not done" in steam days.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

That's the general idea. There are a couple of options such as using the (extended) spur as an extra platform for parcels traffic etc. Or at busy times, a loco released by the departing train moves directly to another already in a platform.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Some time ago there was another flurry of comment about Minories and it turned out quite a few of those commenting had only seen "Versions" not CJ Freezer's original. As I said I have a copy so I contacted RM and got permission from John Brewer (the editor at that time) to reproduce the original when it was being discussed. Well here is my scanned copy, the text continued on page 95 is pasted at bottom of the image.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152197098 ... res/9e0HK4
As I thought, the original plan allows for arrivals and departures on all platform roads.
I doubt there is any problem if you download it to read and for your own use. I don't have the right to authorise further publication. Ask RM I doubt they'll refuse, it's probably out of copyright by now.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I think I have it drawn in a planbook by Mr Freezer somewhere.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Yes, "30 Plans For Small Layouts" or something like. Almost a straight reprint.
b308

Post by b308 »

60 plans, Bufferstop! I do like those Plans books he did! ;)

Interestingly in it CJF refers to what he says is the "Granddaddy" of all the terminus/fiddle yard layouts which is also the basic track plan of Minories made before WW2 and called "Maybank", the difference being is that the fiddle yard was hidden by a loco depot on top of it!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Just found, another hero of small layout design, Carl Arendt included an article on CJFs work in his
small layout scrapbook with plans for both Maybank and Minories reproduced. Carl was always worth a read, and fortunately he embraced the web in time for much of it to be on-line.
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

Hi guys, having a new problem (what's new), I have replaced the peco point at the top right of the layout with a new one.
I have test run a wee loco over the layout and it runs fine until I switch the top point to turn left.
Using Hornby dcc unit just for testing and as soon as I change the point the unit stops saying there is a short.
I have added droppers to all the lines, any ideas what could be causing this?
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

Here are pics of new point, does it look ok?
Attachments
PhotoPictureResizer_171018_202034595-816x612.jpg
PhotoPictureResizer_171018_202145411_crop_816x360.jpg
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

dgp1957 wrote:Hi guys, having a new problem (what's new), I have replaced the peco point at the top right of the layout with a new one.
I have test run a wee loco over the layout and it runs fine until I switch the top point to turn left.
Using Hornby dcc unit just for testing and as soon as I change the point the unit stops saying there is a short.
I have added droppers to all the lines, any ideas what could be causing this?
Are you switching the polarity with the point?
Does it go to another point or sidings?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Yes it looks fine, but it's a live frog point so you MUST put insulated rail joiners on BOTH tracks
running from the 'V'.
That way no short, but perhaps problems of power supply as that way you'll be relying on the
closure blades for supplying power to the frog. The stray wire from the frog area needs to be
safely wrapped if you rely on point closure for power.
Now a full conversion needs those two small wire links cutting. Then a polarity switch to change
the frogs power requirement. Then if you want to go the full way solder a small jump wire between
each stock rail and to the closure rail side of your cut wire.

Can you make head or tail out of that ?

Geoff T.
dgp1957

Post by dgp1957 »

Cheers, I think so, if I put insulating rail joiners on both tracks coming from the v of the point, it will stop the short. If I put droppers from both roads off the point would that solve the supply issue?
The point goes straight onto the double slip.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

One thing I didn't add ...............
Don't see having a live frog point as being a problem They ARE the best thing to have
and when wired correctly are the ideal.
Peco do packets of nylon rail joiners for your two lines away from the 'V' If it's easy enough
to lift just try with these IRJ's (Insulated Rail Joiners).
Bonded & switched is the ideal though.

Geoff T.