entertaining my son

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Emettman

Re: entertaining my son

Post by Emettman »

"I like this one"

Thank you. Given the space you are allowing me, I'm finding lots of variations on a "looped 8" theme.

Sorry about the colours on this one.

The high level is the bright blue. Definitely a viaduct.
It would be perfectly possible to take this out towards the edge of the board and move the passing station (red) closer to the other red running line.

Coming down from the high level on grey you get two relatively easy gradients which connect to the base-level (red) with a through track and a two platform island station
That could be simplified by by pushing the blue to the outside, losing the inner red platform road and then snugging the platform and the remaining platform loop back against what is now the running line. About 4" of width and two points saved, one loop lost

Now, the purple. I like this.
Firstly, goods. A goods train coming either way will find the sidings easy to shunt.
Anticlockwise, take the curved routes at C and E, and the right end purple loop is a nice headshunt for the long sidings (a couple more could go in.)
Clockwise, taking the curved route at A, D will lead to the same position.
Having shunted, trains leaving anticlockwise just keep going, via A and C. Trains leaving clockwise pull their train to the short platform and leave it there, pulling forward past D and then reversing back past the loco sidings to attach their rear to the train now ready to depart.

Similarly a tender loco leaving its carriages at the long platform, by going to the other end of its train via the "S" loop at D -E can end up the right way round.
A tank loco can just run round its via the other red platform , if it is free.
Otherwise it has the options of going via purple all the way round, or via the return loop or just going to the engine sidings for a rest.
Engines leaving the engine sidings by choosing to leave at D or E can decide which way round they want to be.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
treborbob

Re: entertaining my son

Post by treborbob »

hi another good layout sry for not responding been busy at new job