My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Marcus

Re: My first model railway build.

Post by Marcus »

Another view.
Attachments
Another view showing first attempt at weathering.
Another view showing first attempt at weathering.
image.jpg (131.45 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D i have completed a little more on this part of layout, fitted some led yard lights, placed some barrels and crates by goods shed and had a go at weathering the road. Overall I'm quite pleased with the result. Tomorrow I'll connect lights up and see what they look like. :D :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (154.19 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Your layout is looking good, you definitely have a flair for the scenery. Looking forward to further updates.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

That is really really good Marcus. Saying you are "quite pleased with it" suggests you critique your own work - this suggests you will get better and better still and have a superb quality layout. Keep the photos coming.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D I think that this is now complete, I placed a load gauge, fitted a wall and placed a couple of access ramps on the goods shed hard standing. I found the bag of coal I purchased wedged between my car seats so scattered a little coal near weigh bridge. I would appreciate any thoughts on anything I have missed off, or any other suggestions other than some figures, waiting for those to arrive from eBay. Also had a go at making my own security fencing, just a small test section very roughly produced to see how it looks. Not really sure on this.:D :D
Attachments
Just a very rough test attemp at some security fencing. Mesh over scale but doesn't look too bad from a distance. Not sure though.
Just a very rough test attemp at some security fencing. Mesh over scale but doesn't look too bad from a distance. Not sure though.
image.jpg (140.43 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Just about finished this section.
Just about finished this section.
image.jpg (184.82 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Wire mesh fencing is a pig to get spot on as true scale mesh is impossibly fine. It might look better with the mesh turned through 90 deg so that the holes are wider than they are tall. The nearest I've seen to scale mesh was made from a strip of milliner's vail, the stuff that goes on incredible expensive hats and headdresses, but it takes some doing to stop it looking white.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Bufferstop wrote:Wire mesh fencing is a pig to get spot on as true scale mesh is impossibly fine. It might look better with the mesh turned through 90 deg so that the holes are wider than they are tall. The nearest I've seen to scale mesh was made from a strip of milliner's vail, the stuff that goes on incredible expensive hats and headdresses, but it takes some doing to stop it looking white.
I think turning it through 90 dog will make it look better, I have been looking at all sorts of stuff to make the fencing from but this seems the best yet, I got this from one of my customers who make ballet costumes and she told me this is about the finest she works with. I did look on eBay but the price is a tad expensive, especially what I have in mind. :D :D
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

This is coming on a treat :) The fence looks nice, turning it would be an interesting comparison. I notice on your roads there's a very faint pattern. Did you use some sort of roller to apply it?
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

This is looking very nice indeed, I like the run down effect you've achieved. The only thing to my eye, and this may just be your camera is you rusty track looks like a rather bright orange, it could do with being toned down. Other than that, keep up the good work!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

THE CHIEF wrote:This is coming on a treat :) The fence looks nice, turning it would be an interesting comparison. I notice on your roads there's a very faint pattern. Did you use some sort of roller to apply it?
Thx for your comment. The faint lines are simply the pattern of the underlay I used showing through. :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

flying scotsman123 wrote:This is looking very nice indeed, I like the run down effect you've achieved. The only thing to my eye, and this may just be your camera is you rusty track looks like a rather bright orange, it could do with being toned down. Other than that, keep up the good work!
the paint colour is actually called rust, I think the light from the fluorescent tubes makes it look brighter than it actually is. Looking at it though, I may tone it down a little adding a little black. :D
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

flying scotsman123 wrote:This is looking very nice indeed, I like the run down effect you've achieved. The only thing to my eye, and this may just be your camera is you rusty track looks like a rather bright orange, it could do with being toned down. Other than that, keep up the good work!
Perhaps you could paint a darker colour along the sides of the rails and just leave the tops rust coloured.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Bufferstop wrote:
Perhaps you could paint a darker colour along the sides of the rails and just leave the tops rust coloured.
I shal give that ago... :D thx
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

:D hi guy's. Looking for advice again. I can't decide on what direction to go in regarding the incline. Should I build a retaining wall or should I blend it into the countryside with grassy slopes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D :D
heda

Post by heda »

Hi Marcus

My vote would be for grass inclines, but I prefer countryside rather than brickwork. It might be an idea to print off some brick paper, stick it on to card and put it in place, see how it looks to you.

You've done a grand job on the overgrown yard, it really looks the business.

Dave