Clatter - N-gauge in a Coffee Table

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
CandO

Re: Clatter - N-gauge in a Coffee Table

Post by CandO »

Thanks for that Dragonfly :D

Liking the tube idea for the points btw :wink:
whynot

Post by whynot »

This is really fulfilling the initial promise of something rather nice!

One question - do the small locos run across waht I assume are Setrack points without stalling? I could fit "more" in my available space if consistent running doesn't require electrofrogs!

Thanks for the update.
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Looking good - glad you are still going with it. Any chance of seeing the whole coffee table with its top on? :mrgreen:
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Right *blows the dust off the thread*, apologies for going to ground on this. For the best part of a year the whole thing was put on hold due to lack of energy and motivation to sort out my workspace. Now that's finally done, I'm making baby steps towards progress on this.

Firstly, to answer your questions:
whynot wrote:One question - do the small locos run across waht I assume are Setrack points without stalling? I could fit "more" in my available space if consistent running doesn't require electrofrogs!
Surprisingly yes, they run fine so far. On both this layout and a friend's exhibition layout, which also uses set-track points, the tank engines seem to run very well. It's mostly a case of keeping the blades clean; the frog isn't a big issue.
PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Looking good - glad you are still going with it. Any chance of seeing the whole coffee table with its top on? :mrgreen:
The glass is currently inaccessible, but I'll get this out at some point over the next few days for you. :-)

So, this weekend:

1) Started work on the "baseboards" for the buildings. All the buildings will have these, just a thick plasticard sheet to give (a) some height and (b) a flat surface for the buildings to sit on. The ones I've started with are for the terraced houses, where I've started to replace the cardboard Metcalfe pavements with Slaters sheet ones.
The idea is to glue these down (once trimmed to size), Polyfilla in the gaps at the edge of the road surface, and than I can start work painting the tarmac too.
IMAG0313a.jpg
IMAG0313a.jpg (121.74 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
2) A bit more scenic work, using cheap Polyfilla alternative to create a decent (and non-flat) ground surface. I've no idea if this is a good idea, but it seems to work so far. The hill is shown half-done here. One might think that as the hill is plaster bandages anyway, it wouldn't need it, but I wanted rid of all the tiny holes, and to build up the far corner a bit, where the bandages weren't aligning well with the plasticard edging. Once this is done and dry, it'll be sanded and painted earth colours.
IMAG0314a.jpg
IMAG0314a.jpg (139.3 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
And typically, I then realised I hadn't affixed the tunnel portal wing-wall on the right yet, so this bit of 'filla will have to be dug out and re-done. Fail.
Boïschaut

Post by Boïschaut »

Looking good. Can't wait for more !
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Post cleared; thread closed.