Best model shop in the UK?

What do you want from a model railway shop?
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Best model shop in the UK?

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Bufferstop wrote:I suspect they have a rule about selling solvent based products to minors, but no rule about using common sense about volumes. Same as the ****** stupid ban on paints by the Royal Mail. They even refuse water base acrylics, but they happily delivered my parcel containing a bottle of Model Strip :o
That's definitely a worse and more annoying rule, generally postage costs more than the paint now, last time I ordered from phoenix it was about 7 quid, didn't really have any other options other than going out of my way to see them at an exhibition.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

As I was in the area six weeks ago, I was advised by a friend to visit Pooleys Puffers in Gateshead. It's a small shop, but what a selection. I wasn't going to buy anything -- but!!!! -- was I tempted!!!. Managed to curb the spending though! Bought some scenery items (that I would have had to buy on the internet).

Had a chat with the owner - he says treats the shop as a hobby and his customers are many and frequent visitors. On leaving he said "See you next week"" "Next month", I replied.
Saw him again last week. :)
flying scotsman123 wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:I suspect they have a rule about selling solvent based products to minors, but no rule about using common sense about volumes. Same as the ****** stupid ban on paints by the Royal Mail. They even refuse water base acrylics, but they happily delivered my parcel containing a bottle of Model Strip :o
That's definitely a worse and more annoying rule, generally postage costs more than the paint now, last time I ordered from phoenix it was about 7 quid, didn't really have any other options other than going out of my way to see them at an exhibition.
Like FS123 I only use Royal Mail when I am forced to.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

glencairn wrote:As I was in the area six weeks ago, I was advised by a friend to visit Pooleys Puffers in Gateshead. It's a small shop, but what a selection. I wasn't going to buy anything -- but!!!! -- was I tempted!!!. Managed to curb the spending though! Bought some scenery items (that I would have had to buy on the internet).

Had a chat with the owner - he says treats the shop as a hobby and his customers are many and frequent visitors. On leaving he said "See you next week"" "Next month", I replied.
Saw him again last week. :)
I see them frequently at shows (although I've never been to the shop). I buy my wagon kits from them, and have always found the owner (I think he's called Dave, but I might be wrong) very helpful and friendly.

My personal favourite is Rolling Stock in North Shields. A good selection of new and second hand, and friendly service.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

skyblue wrote:
glencairn wrote:As I was in the area six weeks ago, I was advised by a friend to visit Pooleys Puffers in Gateshead. It's a small shop, but what a selection. :)
I see them frequently at shows (although I've never been to the shop). I buy my wagon kits from them, and have always found the owner (I think he's called Dave, but I might be wrong) very helpful
Yes, he is called David. Apparently he goes to a lot of shows and his shop is often closed at those times??? You generally catch him at the shop during the week!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

I have no favourite model shop but Hattons present shop at Penny Lane end of Allerton Road is quite large with stock in large glass cases, each case containing items of same guage ,ie o, oo, n etc.
I used to visit the old shop in the 1970s but this present place is a vast improvement, and I find the staff very helpful.
Apart from being a normal customer I have no association with them.
Colin :)
spiket4

Post by spiket4 »

On my travels recently i have visited 2 good model shops Mankim in colchester, A small shop but well stocked and very friendly staff.
And Kernow model centre camborne a large shop very well stocked with friendly staff.
michaelasc

Post by michaelasc »

I know the thread says UK but if anyone is looking for good US models or even to get Kato track much cheaper than in UK try model train stuff over here in USA.

they ship to UK and you should find the prices very competitive

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!
jmelville

Post by jmelville »

I find I get most of my best priced deals at stalls selling at exhibitions etc.
Have picked up a lot on e-bay but now learning that the bay is bit of a rip-off. When I visit club exhibitions etc. Much better place to buy. I live now in the North East and there is not many Model shops up here. Get some spares from Peter spares and nice people to deal with. I bought some great locos from a stall at The Great Gathering at Sheldon back along in the summer. As for model shops, well I dont know what happened in the trade but I had to wait 6 months before any of my loco shops had a descent buffer beam (or signal red) red paint in stock. It seemed to be out of stock everywhere. Except for the Humblol (acrilic) offering which was more like shocking pink. There was more stuff available to scratch builders / modellers 40 years ago to what there is now. That must be because there is more ready to run models. (of good quality)
All the best MERRY CHRISTMAS ............John
b308

Post by b308 »

jmelville wrote:Have picked up a lot on e-bay but now learning that the bay is bit of a rip-off.
It's not, it's just that you have to be careful and, if necessary, ask the right questions... I've been stung by traders at exhibitions before now so i treat them the same way as ebay purchases!
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

b308 wrote:
jmelville wrote:Have picked up a lot on e-bay but now learning that the bay is bit of a rip-off.
It's not, it's just that you have to be careful and, if necessary, ask the right questions... I've been stung by traders at exhibitions before now so i treat them the same way as ebay purchases!
A model shop or a trade stall at an exhibition for used items at least gives you the chance to look at the item before paying. EBay from my brief flirtation with it seemed to be used as more of a competition than a market, with too many participants either trying to buy say an unwanted gift express loco for £1.01 or ditch an old, broken, or amateur cannibalised patched up one made of bits from three broken ones for £100. The idea is good for sellers of new stuff but decidedly risky for buyers of used items who make fair bids based on descriptions and carefully arranged photos.
b308

Post by b308 »

I've been buying used stuff for many years on ebay have only had one bad result. Like any other purchase of secondhand equipment, whether from a shop, toyfair or even a carboot you just have to be careful and if in doubt or your questions aren't answered satisfactorily then walk away. There'll always be another along in due course...

The reason most people have bad experiences is, I suspect, due to the fact that they see something they want, do little (or in most cases, no) research and buy it without checking elsewhere first. Looking at the prices some people pay on ebay that is clearly apparent, where I've seen people pay high prices for stuff that you can get on the High Street cheaper, though I've seen plenty of examples of people in shops, toyfairs and exhibitions doing the same thing...

Patience is a virtue, and research is essential, as they say!
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

I agree with you b308. My sole bad experience put me off and was of a difficult to find camera lens which proved to be constructed from the parts of three different lenses. The refunding of money was put across as legitimising the practice of amateur cannibalisation - "but I did give you your money back so you aren't allowed to give me a poor feedback rating".

By contrast used discontinued locos from Hattons I swear were brand new - fabulous stuff. And a fully serviced Mint- Nikon F2 Photomic from a Nikon authorised dealer with a camera shop in Florida via eBay is superb and was half the price of one from my favourite UK classic camera shop . It's establishing the provenance that makes the difference although this is clearly not for the uninitiated.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I always wondered what the second hand stuff from hattons was like - do you know if they fully test them etc first?
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

I suspect they do at least on a very short straight test track they use to evuate returns. My N gauge Class 108 in green with speed whiskers, and N gauge green slope tanked prairie, both came with printed labels on both ends of the plastic boxes giving the name of the person who had prepared them. Neither had a mark on them, perfect clean wheels, and perfect unstressed cardboard sleeves. Both were described as "Pre-owned. Like new".
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

I would love to name the best model shop in the uk but I can't ,that's because there are too many to choose from ,I always google for the item I'm after and in many cases I can find what I'm after and usually cheaper ,for instance just before Christmas I looked for the **** o the north tts and google shown a result for scograil ,I've never heard of them but looking deeper into there website I found the tts for sale at £139.50 ,cheaper than hattons and then I noticed they were offering the tornado tts for £119.99 ,again cheaper than anywhere else ,this was last Monday ,I phoned them and ordered ,they arrived Tuesday morning via parcel force ,and it was free delivery ,so that is another website I shall be browsing frequently ,