Westdale, West Lothian

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Westdale, West Lothian

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Sorry to hear that you have to dismantle, moving house is the bane of every modeler with a fixed layout! :(

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

Well been a long time but since the demise of the first layout, lots of mess and ages ferrying in down out the loft and onto the bin, the scenery that is. A new beginning in a garden shed. Hopefully a rather large garden shed. Well I'm planning on a huge garden shed. My first thought was how to insulate to stop the damp and keep the dampness down. Anyone offer any suggestions?
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

How time goes, started this thread as a 50+ guy but now 60, and not 60+!
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

AllyG wrote:Well been a long time but since the demise of the first layout, lots of mess and ages ferrying in down out the loft and onto the bin, the scenery that is. A new beginning in a garden shed. Hopefully a rather large garden shed. Well I'm planning on a huge garden shed. My first thought was how to insulate to stop the damp and keep the dampness down. Anyone offer any suggestions?
1) do NOT use felt on the roof. The modern stuff is complete crap.

2) do NOT use the corrugated fibre stuff, also crap.

3) do NOT buy a prefab shed from a DIY place, the roofs are awful and sag. The rest is just cheap and really nasty quality.

The roof on my shed it is clad with ply then a membrane followed by coated steel corrugated sheets. Inside is lined with 50mm celotex as are the walls and the door. In winter a small heater is enough to make working out there pleasant.

The next question is what budget do you have? Personally I'd go to https://www.shieldsbuildings.co.uk/ and get a quote. I am a twice satisfied customer of theirs though I did alter the roof as detailed above on the second.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

Thanks for the comments. My budget is not infinite but I could say substantial. It's also a large area available although I have to leave room for a washing line! Looking forward to the challenge, lessons learned from the previous one etc. Also interesting in view of my proximity to a main Edinburgh Glasgow rail line. A view from the back garden.
Attachments
IMG_0468 1.jpg
Last edited by AllyG on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

view from back garden
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

I might get it right this time. The view from the back garden.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Click on attachments below the editor pane. Then on add files. navigate to your file and open.
Then click place in line, it will insert the code into your script where the cursor was,
20190918_101429.jpg
Presto there's your pic, providing the file is not too large. If it is, load it into Paint or any pixel editor and change it's size to max 1000 wide. If you want to move it use Ctrl X to cut it and Ctrl V to paste it back.

By the way,that's not an engine bay! it's why the electric Smart gained a snout. All the bits an EV needs that you just borrow from a petrol engine.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

Thanks for that. I remembered that years ago when I first started I had problems until I cut the file size down. I've got a freeware programme 'adapter' that works great
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

More garden pics
Attachments
59412011482__0B3BD8B1-1FF4-45B6-8C00-24F5A8E32C98 1.jpg
IMG_0445 1.jpg
59412009565__F68BF3DF-C0D8-46F6-AF83-0D812309D994 1.jpg
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If that's 25kV catenary, you should have no problem lighting your shed, a 6foot fluorescent tube and an long aerial wire parallel to the cables, will make it light up. My mate did it many years ago the only thing was the only time the light would go out was when a train went past.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

Shed will be going over to the right of this picture.
Attachments
001 2.jpg
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

Work started and holes dug for the concrete.
Attachments
002.jpg
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

My holes (watch it!). And what happens to them when you leave them.
Attachments
003.jpg
AllyG

Post by AllyG »

A bit of seepage?
Attachments
004.jpg