The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Post by GeraldH »

mikem64 wrote:Super layout, should have said this ages ago, I'm impressed with your creative thinking turning bits & bobs into something that can be used on the layout, I like that. Keep uploading the photo's please. :D
Thank you. I've got a few more projects up my sleeve at the moment including some repairs and mechanical enhancements to an early Hornby Pacer which I picked up recently. My freelance diesel shunter is nearly finished, as is my very short Triang coach with the homemade interior. More photos to follow... :)
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Here's a better picture of my most complex freelance loco.

I started this 20+ years ago and it laid dormant half-finished for nearly 20 years. It began as a Wrenn Class 20 and has two Wrenn Class 08 cabs on the ends. I also added some extra weight by casting lead extensions on to the bogies and added extra pickups.

The cab sides had to be chopped up so that the doors on both sides were on the inward ends of the cabs. It runs with a bit of a wobble and I've never been keen on the sideframes. The handrails got bent and I seem to be unable to straighten them out completely. Is there a way of perfectly straightening handrails once they get bent I wonder?
BNR2020.jpg
BNR2020.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

I really like that, well done :)
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Wire handrails are almost impossible to straighten once bent, might be time to invest in a new bit of brass wire :)

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

An excellent freelance loco, totally believable and practical, nice job!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Thanks for your kind comments.

I've now nearly finished my Triang shorty coach. I've just got to paint the inside of the window frames black to disguise the thick frames and sort out some home made decals. I might repaint the roof a darker grey as well as I think it might look a bit better. It still looks a little toylike, but less than it did and I prefer shorter coaches on my tight curves.
Shcoach.jpg
Shcoach.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 6085 times

hiffano

Post by hiffano »

it's clearly the result of a mummy 58, and a daddy 58, who love each other very much.

nice work, and handrails, ggrr, stupid things, once bent, always bent!
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

After you've painted the window openings black, try a touch of aluminium on the vertical bars of the sliding windows, and pick out the door handles in brass.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

hiffano wrote:it's clearly the result of a mummy 58, and a daddy 58, who love each other very much.
Funnily enough that was partly my inspiration. I'm still toying with making a BO-BO version of the Class 58. It might be expensive assembling the parts. I guess a Class 20 chassis and a Class 58 body could be melded together in some way. It might be a while before I get around to that though :)

Tiddles

Post by Tiddles »

As I understand it the BNR is narrow gauge being represented by using 16.5mm (OO) track.
So dues BR interchange track us 18mm (EM) track to represent standard gauge?

I totally agree about the short coaches. I use Athern coaches as they are slightly shorter the Bachmann correct length coaches. It means I can get a 7 car train in of Athern where as would only just get a 6 car Bachmann.

I like the look of the freelance loco. I am sure I have seen something similar built for a 2 foot narrow gauge railway in Wales.
You could also look up the Mehano "Blue Tiger" loco for inspiration.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Tiddles wrote:As I understand it the BNR is narrow gauge being represented by using 16.5mm (OO) track.
So dues BR interchange track us 18mm (EM) track to represent standard gauge?
Actually I cheated. There's a bit at the beginning of post about this. As the layout is set on a island off the coast of the UK, BR are forced to also run narrow gauge versions of their standard gauge trains. The island was deliberately built to narrow gauge to stop the British invading through the tunnel :)

Tiddles

Post by Tiddles »

Dues this mean the BNR waggons and converted BR locos are restricted to just the UK transfer yards. Meaning goods from the BNR would have to loaded on to trucks or BR standard gauge waggons for delivery to the rest of the UK.

The other option would be to use converter waggons where the BNR waggons to transport the BNR waggons around the UK. I think there is a similar idea in Europa to put standard gauge waggons on a narrow gauge line.

Also I think I have seen a system where narrow gauge locos are fitted to a special chassis so they can run on standard gauge.

What is the history between the BNR island and main land UK as you mention the possibility of invasion. I am imagining the BNR island is something like the Isle of Wight.

Or am I over complicating things a bit :D
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The BNR stock does not leave the Island and the BR stock is fitted with adjustable wheelsets which are tweaked on the mainland. The preserved locos have been narrow gauged to 4 ft 1½ in gauge which is rather complex, but the Island's railway engineers are very resouceful :)

Mod Edit: Misuse of Quote Button.

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I've been slowly finishing off my freelance shunter. After my first attempt I noticed that it went together a bit skewiff, so I had to gently take it all apart and put it together again more carefully. It all seems to be correctly aligned now, so I've painted it up. I just need to try and make some BNR decals, then I'll glaze it and cover it in matt varnish to finish it off.

The Toby chassis runs quite well and I'm thinking of picking up a Hornby Toby and cutting it down to size. I've already got a Bachmann one which I was going to BNR'ify, but I couldn't bear to chop off his smiling face and remove his moving eyes. There's a great video of how to improve a hornby Toby on Youtube.
shunter.jpg
shunter.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 5822 times

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

A busy scene in the goods yard with my preserved Hornby Jinty on the branch train with an "improved" Railroad chassis. It runs pretty well, but you have to watch out for those moulded on brake shoes which have a tendency to rub on the wheels ruining the running. I've had to file a bit off most of my 0-6-0 brake shoes to give adequate clearance.
Goods.jpg
Goods.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 5752 times