Wales - Switzerland 009 Connection!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TJGoode

Re: Zoo Car Special!

Post by TJGoode »

StevieDay wrote: The couple are husband & wife. The reason why her hands are on her lap, is cos she saying "Dave after 5 kids I'm not having any more"......... Daves' posture is because he's a bit miffed, he used to enjoy the practice.
:D
Interesting interpretation! :D
But they've never heard of contraception?

Look forward to hearing more interpretations. :wink:
TJGoode

Re: Zoo Car Special!

Post by TJGoode »

StevieDay wrote: Daves' posture is because he's a bit miffed, he used to enjoy the practice.
But why's he miffed anyway? There are plenty of sheep...
(At least I doubt I'll forget to add lots of sheep to my layout)
rovermaestro

Re: Wales - Switzerland 009 Connection!

Post by rovermaestro »

Hi Tim this has little to do with your current thread but I found a good example of a weathered Metcalfe goods shed as mentioned in your post to me on my piano layout thread. Its on page 21 of Kentman98's thread Lessor Tufts - 00 In the loft. Its very well done and in other pics you can see the paints etc. Sorry wasn't sure how to put a direct link in here. Love the narrow gauge. I did mainly 009 modelling in my youth Long long ago) in the early days of Eggerbahn and Minitrains. Lots of fun.
Cheers Bob
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

@rovermaster: Thanks for the 'link' :wink: (http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... &start=300)
I love good weathering, though I can't weather myself :oops:
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

A couple of weeks ago I borrowed a friend's minidrill/saw and chopped the Fleischamann Chassis to within a hair's width of it's still being in one piece (except for the cylinders, had to chop them off so it would fit) so I could place the chassis further back than I originally had it in the Langley body kit. I placed the chassis about 1.8mm further back. The difference it made is immense!

No more wheelies!

So, having got sick of Prince always being incomplete and seing as I now have a decent little 1930's train (two Bugs and two little Bogie coaches) to be hauled by Prince, I got impatient and glued the motor and added chimney and smokebox. Forget the stupid smoke generator! For now...

I had a little fun hauling the train back and forth on my pathetic test stretch. I really need a layout now! :evil:
TJGoode

1930's train - G.E.M. Bug Box

Post by TJGoode »

As I may have mentioned, I'm not all too happy with the G.E.M. Zoo Car and Bug Box Kits.

Yes the whitemetal bodies aren't too detailed (Worlsey Works' look amazing - the grass is always greener...) but that isn't the reason for my annoyance.

What bugs me about the Bug Box (please excuse the pun) is the Chassis.
I don't know if anyone reading this post has ever had the joy of building a G.E.M. bug chassis so I'll explain.

The body is - as already mentioned - made of whitemetal.
The chassis is made of brass.
The axles have to be held in to the chassis by thin wires superglued to the chassis (whilst avoiding glueing the achsles and wheels!!!).

There is no margin for error for an impossible, flimsy task.
Thus, the axles are more than likely not to turn very well (if at all).

The axles not moving (well/at all) on a plastic Parkside Dundas kit will lead to slowing the train down marginally.
Axles not moving on a heavy lump of white metal will have a more drastic effect.

After having built the Zoo Car I got the hang of the glueing a bit better and managed to get the axles to move slightly more on the Bug Box.

Prince has however had to struggle pulling both Bug Box and Zoo Car at the same time. On the flat. The least bit of gradient and - wheels spinning.
Prince would have the Motive Power to pull them, but doesn't get it all on to the track. Too light, not enough tracktion.

Lately a new problem has made hauling the train impossible, even on the flat.
The Bug Box causes short-circuits!
Of course the G.E.M. instructions warned me against this and supplied plastic washers to prevent them. I neither installed these on Zoo Car or Bug Box, seeing as there wasn't enough space for the wheels in those chassis, let alone extra plastic washers. Those would worsen the hopes of axles which actually rotate!
So the Bug Box, the one which ran better of the two, had to have it's chassis disassembled and washers installed.

An extra difficulty arose when I noticed some of its wheels had fallen apart into seperate components (inner ring attached two axle is separate from outer ring including flanges)!!!
Yippeeh!

In the end I saw this as something possitive, as the two rings of the wheels are held together by the chassis (when in the chassis) and in the likely event of the axles not rotating perfectly, the outer rings of some of the wheels might still rotate! :oops:

Rather than attaching the axles to the chassis by glueing bits of wire to the wheels ( :? ) I bent leftover bits of brass cutings and glued them to the chassis over the center of the axles but not touching them, giving them much more margin for movement.

Success! The Bug Box runs again without causing short-circuits.
However I am still more than simply sceptical about Prince hauling my 1930's train when it's complete, with those two heavy, immobile lumps of white metal holding it back...

I've got a strong suspicion that they will one day be replaced by Worsley Works bugs, which ought to have less bugs...
Bugger those buggy bugging bugs! :?
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Nice work on the coaches by the way.
HARRYMALLARD

Post by HARRYMALLARD »

I saw an article in a second hand Railway Modeler issue I had about those funkey diesels.
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout