Baby Deltic / class 23

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: Baby Deltic / class 23

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:Generally, provided the demand is there, it looks like every diesel type that ever ran on BR is going to get a RTR model as time goes on. Even once classes 21/29 28, 07 and 11 are knocked off there's plenty of choice in the onesy-twosy department: Lion, DP2, LMS 10000/10001 for those who found the FIA trains price too steep, the three SR/EE prototypes, the Fell, and OK they aren't diesels but are still bogie boxes, Swindon's Kerosene Castles.
Still waiting for classes 07, 11, and the 16 I forgot to mention - Heljan must be favourites for that last as the class 15 mechanism will fit - Lion available, 21/29. 28, DP2, the LMS twins, SR triplets all announced. The 'mopping up' is going at some speed...

Post by 56089 »

For anyone that's ordered one there due next week

http://www.heljan.dk/faste_filer/modul. ... ikelid=297
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Those four-digit headcodes look a little lost on such a large nose end,but I'm guessing the real things had the same "face" :?
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Phipps wrote:Those four-digit headcodes look a little lost on such a large nose end,but I'm guessing the real things had the same "face" :?
The nose looks wrong. Compare it to this (I know is a poor picture but shoiws what we need to know)

Its basically the same as a class 37, which is a streched baby deltic anyway. From the side they look spot on, but the front just aint right. I'll take a picture of my SilverFox baby deltic (which looks right) tomorrow and compare them.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Doesn't bother me as I need them in original disc headcode form, so that numerical headcode is coming off, dreckly. Still a little puzzled that with such a small class with a short life Heljan have not covered the two significant variants. But it will keep me out of mischief.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

I was beginning to come around to the idea of one,but having seen that front end now,no thanks.
You'd think there was at least one person at Heljan who'd seen a sample,compare it with a picture & think "hang on a sec..."
Like I mentioned on another forum,I've just saved myself quite a few quid.
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

Agreed, Ouch!!!! that looks so wrong :(

On the bright side, I've just saved some money :)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Phipps wrote:Those four-digit headcodes look a little lost on such a large nose end,but I'm guessing the real things had the same "face" :?
The size of the headcode frame looks right (should scale 4'3" wide , 2' high) and the 'window' for the headcodes looks good too for size and shape. What is definitely wrong is the representation of the font of the headcode, needs a BOLD version of that typeface. At least that should be easy to correct if it is the usual Heljan arrangement.
Splop.

Post by Splop. »

Kernow is now selling them @ £109.99.
D0260

Post by D0260 »

IN stock and available from Durham Trains of Stanley for £89.95- already got mine..

http://durhamtrainsofstanley.co.uk/my_s ... &x=27&y=11
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Perhaps the Hattons pictures will put minds at rest on the headcode panel? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hattons-M ... 7844895322
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

Yep, that looks better. :)

More expense :(
6C

Post by 6C »

Available from Hattons from yesterday....
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

...........which is where this came from at lunchtime today(ordered Sun afternoon!)
It's the Railway Test Centre's model no D5901 with the small yellow panel.Curiously,the other small yellow panel model is £116!
Have to swallow large amounts of humble pie about this :oops: :oops:
As I had quite emphatically said,I wasn't going to bother,moaned about the headcode,having to remove detail,model too expensive blah blah blah de blah.
Well,I'd always hoped the model's popularity would wane & the cost be reduced,but it would seem that if it sold out,I would have cursed myself.TBH,the smaller yellow panel makes the front end a lot better to look at & the headcode(as someone's pointed out to me) is no better or worse than Kestrel's.Best thing from my POV is the running number makes it plausible that at least one could've been saved for preservation in 1976/1977 & restored to reside on my own line by the line's owner.
D0260

Post by D0260 »

What is the RTC livery exactly?... All the shots I have seen look exactly like the BR livery wih small yellow panels.