00 scale lorries

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
trainsandco

Re: 00 scale lorries

Post by trainsandco »

Craig60 wrote:The more i look the more i think it's over-weathered.
I think it looks fine

although one thing I did notice (I cant remember if you've already said about this, if you have dont worry)
surely wouldn't the car fall of? Wouldn't it need chains to hold it down?

Keep up the good work :D

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Craig60 wrote:
I appreciate your comments aswell on the look of the truck , The more i look the more i think it's over-weathered.
Hi Craig

I would say you are right. (you may have a photo to show a real vehicle in this condition though) The thing with weathering is its actually about cleaning! Everything gets dirt on it but its also cleaned either deliberately or by the rain. Where you have it now is fine as a start point for the cleaning process. Remember when you are cleaning keep all of your strokes vertical. Use a cotton but with a small amount of thinners.

Remember thought that the wheels spin and spread the dirt evenly around them - see my post earlier in the thread. I would also agree that you need some sort of chains or straps. I use fine masking tape (see earlier in the thread again) coloured with a marker. One final tip is to super glue the wheels solid and then gently rub the vehicle on a bit of sandpaper to slightly flatten the bottom of the tyres and give the truck some weight.

HTH

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

A while ago there was a discussion (over on RMweb) about the Dodge Commer and mention made that the EFSI one is 4mm scale. So, suitably inspired I tracked one down and have produced this!

Along with the obligatory wheel swap I filed off the read wheel arches and repositioned them lower down. I also changed the radiator and bonnet to represent a Diesel engined version. I wanted to try out an idea I had to reproduce the effect you get when old lettering is removed after a long time. So I printed out a logo in a very slightly darker red on transfer paper and then applied it to the model AFTER i had weathered it. Quite pleased with the result!

Cheers

Jim
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

Some Great work on lorry & truck conversions here .

I've a project started on a 4mm scale modern tipper truck, i have'nt been able to progress / update as we recently moved house...
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... &sk=t&sd=a

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Great stuff Dave :D

A few more for your perusal!

Left to right - ABC volvo Ailsa - top and bottom half glued together, filled and sanded smooth - I repainted the middle and re-branded it to WMT livery. Weathered and then the windows were masked before a quick coat of matt varnish. Although the ABC model includes rear view mirrors I substituted them with my own etched ones.

Leyland Constructor in ARC colours. Base toys cab on a modified Knightwing tippler chassis

Dodge commer from EFSI. I filed off the rear wheel arches and redid them lover down. I also modified the radiator and bonnet to represent a diesel engined version. The transfers on all 3 were DIY.

Regards

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Some of my Corgi lorries have now received a light coating of grime. Aside from the wing mirrors (I've run out) these 3 are done.

Cheers

Jim
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

Really great modelling there jim , the weathering looks just about right , & well applied. Very impressive, as too is your Birmingham New street project. :)

Indeed, those corgi ford cargo are ideal for a donor base model for building types of vehicles that the diecast manufacturers seem so far lacking, I myself started a project on a BR maintenance truck, like so many other things its on hold for now till we get settled at our new house.

Where do you obtain such items like the wing mirrors from ?

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi Dave

I did my own etch (Although I dont have any at the moment)

Cheers

Jim
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Jim! you inspired me to have a go and I have now RUINED them!!!
Dont worry they were all old corgi crap anyway.

1st was a london taxi cab, I filled off some of the paint and repainted and thought, yeah thats good and put it aside (but not far enough)
The next car was a Lotus espri (dont know how to spell :P ) and filled the paint off that and then tried to repaint, and it wasn't going to have any off it none of the paint was sticking so, oh well. Then I noticed my taxi cab, all the fillings from hte lotus where now all stuck to the paint :x

The final wasn'tvery bad at all :D A mercades minibus thing (like the one you did) and tried converting it into a van, I accidentally completely destroyed the chassis while trying to get it off but good news!1 the plasticard strips are sticking very well to the side. and thats all I've done to it :P

Ben

81D & 55A
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi Ben

You can get the chassis off by drilling out the rivets. Once you have removed all of the plastic bits, dunk the bodies into Nail varnish remover for half an hour and the paint should wash off. If you leave any plastic on them the Nail varnish remover will melt it!

Well done for having a go though! We have all been there!

HTH

Jim
outcastjack

Post by outcastjack »

jim where did you get you wheels?

i did search for the company you mentioned on your newstreet site but all i found were aircraft componants
Above all its a Rover.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com
or visit my layout.
or my other models.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hiya

Sure http://www.paragonkits.com/

HTH

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

The only route I know of to a 4mm scale Mk3 transit is the well hard to find MBC kit. This is one I brought virtually finished from a friend.

Regards

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Modelzone are selling off what they claim to be 1:87 scale Radio Controlled fire engines. Either the prototypes are huge or they aint 1:87 scale. But what they are is the same width as 1:76 scale trucks. Question is, what to do with the chassis?

Cheers

Jim
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Jim S-W wrote:Question is, what to do with the chassis?
keep it on it and drive it round the roads on the layout lol :lol:

81D & 55A