Noob With new Layout in N - Starting Again

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Essex2Visuvesi

Re: Noob With new Layout in N

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

thats a good Idea.... maybe have them on the corner by the pub as the chippy will be next to the pub:D... will add a little interest to the layout

Thats something I wanted in my layout... little stories but you have to look for them :)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

thats a brilliant start and i wish i had thought about using a backscene.....snap on the metcalfe buildings too :)
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Something to add today.

The dividing walls have started construction and the top layer has been cut to size :) I had to wait on delivery of some of the buildings I had ordered in order to work out where things were going to go.

Things should start moving on with a bit more pace this weekend as lots of things are now ready to be fitted.

Plans for this weekend
1. Lay sidings
2. wire point motors
3 build retaining wall back frame.
4 Build upper level supports and reinforcing frame

5 Either play trains or do the dreaded ballasting :shock:
Here are a few pics

Proud member of the OAM
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Nice work - you made these yourself - or are they Scale scenes or similar ?

What with all the work you plan for this weekend - I think at the end of it you reward yourself with option 5a 'play with trains' - and anyway, you need to check the points and sidings are all operating correctly :)
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

SouthernBoy wrote:Nice work - you made these yourself - or are they Scale scenes or similar ?

What with all the work you plan for this weekend - I think at the end of it you reward yourself with option 5a 'play with trains' - and anyway, you need to check the points and sidings are all operating correctly :)
The arches are scale scenes. They go together nicely and are great fun to build

Definitely be playing trains later after all that is done.. along with a nice cold beer :)

Proud member of the OAM
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Sadly other commitments got in the way of any major progress today however the track is laid. Holes have been drilled for point motors.

I still have the 2 sidings that go into the loco shed but first the area needs concreting and the inspection pit needs to be let into the base board

A question..... what would the transition from ballast to concrete look like?

As Always a few pics :)

Hopefully I will have more time to spend on the layout tommorow :)

Proud member of the OAM
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Been a while since my last update, as other commitments have gotten in the way of some good hard modelling.

Tonight I had a play around with the trains and put together some more parts, I have a nice bit of grass laid for my cows and sheep.
The scalescenes arches are fun to build and look good in place, only proble is that my Deltic is too tall :(

anyway the obligatory piccies

The lima deltic clearance issues :(

The pics dont really do the ballasting justice, it looks a lot better in the flesh. decided to ballast the shoulders of the foam underlay and also the top up to the sleeper edges and as its only N guage it looks quite effective with little chance of the ballast catching the wheels.

I have the rest of the week off this week so Im going to be busy I want to rewire my point motors, get the last few bits of track laid and do a finish ballasting the track.
get the last of the arches in built and the raised section fitted properly.

The building are not fitted in place yet as Im going to wait untill I have finished the rest of the buildings then decide where they will go permanently.

Hope you like the progress so far and stay tuned for the the next installment :)

Oh by the way anyone think of a name for the layout? I was thinking of Hopps (because of the brewery) Folly lol

Proud member of the OAM
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

Cracking work! Love the urban look, the houses are excellent.

I like the Deltic too, been considering one of them of late... Will have to make sure I have room!
Although at the minute I only have half a layout. Heh.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

beerandpies wrote:Cracking work! Love the urban look, the houses are excellent.

I like the Deltic too, been considering one of them of late... Will have to make sure I have room!
Although at the minute I only have half a layout. Heh.
Thats the lima one, I picked it up for about 12 quid off ebay was supposed to be a poor runner but a drop of oil and the removal ove 10 years worth of carpet fluff and it runs great :)... its just a shame it wont fit thru the arches :( my 8 yr old boy says it looks like its a sad and unhappy train and it has a face like a dog lol.
The buildings need finishing and weathering

Im changing the track plan slightly

Im adding a small fiddle yard as a side extension to the layout

They will be longer but you get the idea :-)

Proud member of the OAM
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Great layout :lol:

Seriously though, nice to see progress is being made, those arches look damn good.

Years and years and years (and years) ago I had a Lima deltic and to me it always DID look too tall? It seemed to tower above the coaches, whereas the 1:1 'scale' version is only a tad taller than coaching stock. I suspect the old Lima one was a little overscale!!

Could also be the added height of that foam underlay that's the problem :wink:

Paul
Last edited by Sprintex on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackpool_fy2

Post by blackpool_fy2 »

That residential/industrial area is going to give this layout some real character. Can just picture it now, with little people running around with crates, lorries, wheelbarrows, beer kegs etc. The work you've done with the Scalescenes sheets is brilliant. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one. :wink:

Keep it up! :D
Thomas
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Thanks for the replies :)

It nice when someone gives a bit of praise gives you the confidence to do a bit more. Today has been the witing of point motors and the creation of 2 new control panels. The first one i bought was too small and im not so keen on the PTM switches so have gone for momentary toggles with a CDU. The momentaries will be re-used for the electromagenetic decouplers I have just picked up off ebay for a song :D.

When the deltic is pulling my GraFar MK 1's the top of the "nose" is level with the roofs of the carriages so anyone sitting in the back cab could see over the top of the carriages.

Sprintex I did think removing the foam underlay in that area to drop the track a little, but I have decided that I will build a new layout in finland expescially for that and some other stock.
Ill have a load more space and I mean A LOAD more space :D The Mrs has allowed me to have the decrepit cow shed for my toys. Im heading back on 15th December and ill post some pics.
This layout will be shipped to Finland in due course and will still be completed.

I have a question if you look at the front edge of the layout Im thinking of putting a small cross section of platform along it to make it look like the plaform contines past the front of the board. Anyone done this befor or will it look silly?

Proud member of the OAM
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

Your son's comment about the Deltic looking like a dog made me laugh... When I look at it I can see the face of a tired old Great Dane.

I'm currently watching one on Ebay but money is tight so I'll probably give it a miss for now.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

tonight I took a break from scenery design on the old Mac and got the soldering iron out. I have decided to change the point control panel:-

First I printed of the layout diagram and fixed it to the front panel. drilled a few holes and fitted some spring return switches.

All the switchest fitted

Fitted the CDU

On with the soldering

All the soldering done

And the finished article

Stay tuned for the next exciting installment :)

Proud member of the OAM
Matt Peters

Post by Matt Peters »

Thats rather neat, keep it up!