Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

sishades wrote:How will you power the track, is it just a case of lots of switches or two controllers?
Currently the wiring is a bit of a hotch potch but the intention is that it can be run in either DC or DCC and there are a few isolating sections. In fact the layout is also split into 3 blocks to allow for multiple controller use with separate blocks for the up and down main lines and the yard itself.

In the grand plan (this could just be a dream) the layout can be equipped with a couple of fiddleyards or a loop round into a set of stock sidings. In this case the current (as yet unbuilt except in my head) control panel can delegate control of the up and down main lines or indeed the yard to other controllers. This would allow trains to run on the main lines independently of shunting operations in the yard or allow a controller in the fiddle/stock yard to drive a train out of the yard.

As you can probably tell the plans are far grander than are ever likely to see the light of day. :(

Cheers
Dave
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Been a lack of activity due to the cold weather. The layout is currently sitting in the garage and -3 Celsius is not conducive to protracted stays out there! It's a case of doing a few minutes work each day but not much major work getting done.

I now have all the track on the scenic section in place. The last couple of pieces that are the wagon works tracks are down. This is a view down pretty much the length of the layout with the wagon works on the far left.

and this is the Google Earth version that shows in fact I can stable quite a lot of wagons in the 3 short roads. Certainly enough wagons for a good shuffle round. The longest road here is holding 4 HEAs and a CEA and there is room for another one in there. :)

These shots also show that the grass is growing rather rapidly around the place. I've built a bit of an embankment along the rear of the boards and grassed it over. For at least some of this length there will be some low relief industrial style buildings (maybe!).

The next shot shows a couple of the latest eBay acquisitions sat on the up main line. In fact all the stock in these shots are from eBay! The 37 is a new Bachmann model and is a mighty fine example and that's coming from someone who is not a Tractor fan. :)

Last shot for this set is of the 37 looking up the line towards the scenic break overbridge. This is still very much a work in progress and I'm tinkering with Linka mouldings for the bridge piers and retatining walls. Can't say that it's going overly well at the moment. :(

Cheers
Dave
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

The ‘Undergrowth’ is looking good, what is it made from please

Lofty
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

lofty wrote:The ‘Undergrowth’ is looking good, what is it made from please

Lofty
Homebase hanging basket liner (£1.49) stuck down with PVA then ripped off when the glue has dried. :)

Cheers
Dave
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Thanks, I thought it was but wanted to confirm.

I bought some last spring and not used it yet :oops: Maybe next year :!:

Lofty
bunji

Post by bunji »

That looks cracking! Excellent job on the ballasting and I love the look of that scenery. Can't wait to see more. :)
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Cracking work mate! You should be proud :wink:

Liam.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Excellent job so far both on the scenery front and the complex junction created: really good use of double-slips :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Yeah, Santa came to Cramdin yard and he brought something on my list! Probably because I bought it at Warley. :? Here's a 60 about to head under Linka bridge and off to all places North.

From the shot you can see that I've done some more work on the retaining walls for the bridge. I'm just about getting the hang of this Linka moulding game for simple stuff. Lots more work required with the paintbrush to weather things yet.

It may be the version that is being sold off cheap everywhere but it is still a cracking model. :)

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all
Dave
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Bit of a result, poor weather over Christmas leading the local authorities to allow me to escape to the garage and hence progress on the layout! I've been putting off building some kind of control panel for a while so today I bit the bullet and started. This a pic soon after a "I wish I hadn't started this" moment.

That's just the point control wires and with only a handful connected up! Having 2 faulty push switches (so far) out of 24 slows things down somewhat as well. Grrr.

The other major item I've been working on is the scenic break at the fueling point end. This is combination of a girder bridge and some brickwork supporting a narrow road. It's pretty much all in place now and involves quite a lot of Linka mouldings. Still weathering and stuff to do. As you can see, the fueling point was equipped for people not locos today!

This last shot is a closeup of a Linka building experiment. This is a small office for the fueling point. Might be able to make it respectable/shabby enough. Needs bedding in to the landscape.

Cheers
Dave
NaN

Post by NaN »

Looking superb there
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

Not a lot of visible progress unfortunately but I have finally managed to complete the wiring of all the point control nonsense and the main track feeds and isolated sections. Phew! Just a couple of signals to install and wire up then I really need to iron out one or two trackwork/pointwork issues to get everything running smoothly.

To congratulate myself and because it was real brass monkeys out in the garage I allowed myself a little play with the paints and brushes. This was a brand spanking new and shiny clean Bachmann MKA until this afternoon. :shock: Some of the weathering is a little crude so I'll have to keep practising. Not too bad for a first attempt though.

Cheers
Dave
peak

Post by peak »

Thats a loverly waggon!
I think you have made a good job of it.
It's not over done like some we see!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi

Great pics wish i would of seen the idea of using Homebase hanging basket liners for grass its looks amazing :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

I think that your layout is excellent and its coming along really well!

I have that coal sector class 37 and I think its superb! :wink:

I have just taken delivery of the BR Blue version from Bachmann today!

Keep up the good work!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"